Troubles with kernel 4.14.144 on Odroid XU4

tbylit

Armbianmonitor:

I'm new here, so please bear with me!

I run an Odroid XU4 with Armbian stretch default. Recently I did a normal apt update and upgrade to kernel/dtb/headers version 5.97 (from 5.91), along with all other possible upgrades. This made the system very unstable- it had an uptime of nearly 3 months with 5.91 (all time high for the board) before the reboot, and after the upgrade it lasted a couple of hours before stalling/crashing. A downgrade to kernel/dtb/headers v 5.95 helped somewhat, but it crashed after a week or so - it may just be of those "it just happens". I went ahead and installed 5.91 and it is stable so far a few days in.

The board is a bit throttled (roof at 90 % of max frequencies) and is a XU4Q with an attached Noctua NF A4-20 5V controlled by the on board controller. It runs Seti@HOME on two cores 60% of the time and handles Transmission and Samba as a NAS (two external USB drives with their own PSU:s). Mean CPU-temp is just below 60C with fan running at 47% (PWM value 120). I use eMMC as a boot device. Nothing in the configuration was changed between the software version changes.

At this time I'm good with running 5.91 - just wanted to let you know to offer data points debugging purposes. If you need to know something more - let me know! If I should do something different - let me know as well.

1 hour ago, tbylit said:

I went ahead and installed 5.91 and it is stable so far a few days in.

OK, stay there (freeze kernel update in armbian-config) until this is not investigated and report in case it also crashing with the old one.

I've noticed similar on 4.14.144 on a HC2, seems stable on 4.14.141.

I narrowed it down to transmission that causes it to crash once a torrent is uploaded, it seemed to sit there happily with no torrent activity.  Transmission is currently running in a docker on the ext4 SD card with the torrents downloaded to/seeded from the btrfs data drive.  

Edited by ozymandias892
added more information

I also did face issues with 4.14.144 on my HC1. I‘m on Buster. Reverted back to 4.14.133, stable again.

Forgot to keep a copy of dmesg messages. But as I recall there where network (tcp) related crash stack messages in there.

4 hours ago, uli said:

I also did face issues with 4.14.144 on my HC1. I‘m on Buster. Reverted back to 4.14.133, stable again.

Forgot to keep a copy of dmesg messages. But as I recall there where network (tcp) related crash stack messages in there.

https://github.com/armbian/upload/commit/bde7ab63db8f19b404af67e0f1da48cca2969b86
This problem should be fixed with apt update and apt upgrade.

On 9/30/2019 at 8:58 PM, ozymandias892 said:

I've noticed similar on 4.14.144 on a HC2, seems stable on 4.14.141.

I narrowed it down to transmission that causes it to crash once a torrent is uploaded, it seemed to sit there happily with no torrent activity.  Transmission is currently running in a docker on the ext4 SD card with the torrents downloaded to/seeded from the btrfs data drive.  

Same here on Odroid XU4, .144 crashes when a new torrent is added ("invalid inflight" as error). Installing latest armbian from today (with an older kernel) fixes issue.

Hi,

Same problem here, on Odroid HC2, having Armbian Linux 4.14.141-odroidxu4 and yesterday run apt upgrade unsuspectingly. 

Upgraded to Linux 4.14.144-odroidxu4 kernel.

After that system was not available for ping and SSH. Multiple hard reboots does not solve, sometimes system was available, but always frozen after a few seconds.

Solution:

I had an old /boot backup and i copied to the boot SD card, the four major kernel boot files: 

initrd.img-4.14.69-odroidxu4,  vmlinuz-4.14.69-odroidxu4, System.map-4.14.69-odroidxu4, config-4.14.69-odroidxu4 ), 

and one directory: 

dtb-4.14.69-odroidxu4

then create simlink to dtb, uInitrd,  zImage 

rebooted and finger crossed, and hope ssh would work... and thanks Linus it had been worked. :)

Edited by Robert1968
mod

1 hour ago, sooperior said:

Installing latest armbian from today (with an older kernel) fixes issue.

Great! 

42 minutes ago, Robert1968 said:

Solution:

Its safe to apt update and upgrade now. It will bring 4.14.141 ... not .144