Video : NanoPi M4 storage speed tests

Hi all. 
I've made a new video where I test all storage devices for the NanoPi M4. 
8GB, 16GB and 32GB eMMC modules, NVMe drive, sd-card and SSD over USB3. 
Here's the video. 

Here's my gathered data.

Storage speeds
--------------
8GB eMMC module  read  : 160 MB/s 
                 write :  11 MB/s 
16GB eMMC module read  : 175 MB/s
                 write :  50 MB/s 				 
32GB eMMC module read  : 173 MB/s 
                 write : 111.6 MB/s               
256GB NVMe       read  : 697.7 MB/s
                 write : 401 MB/s (630MB/s for 2.5GB, then 300 MB/s)	
M4 sd-card       read  : 70 MB/s
                 write : 20 MB/s                 			 
M4 swap          read  : 1.9GB/s 0.01 msec access time

Greetings, NicoD

Interesting stats

Surprised that a 256GB NVMe drive only has 2.5GB or 1% of its capacity as fast flash and then the rest is QLC I presume? What model is it? Seems a bit of a con to have an NVMe drive that throttles down to half SATA speeds once the MLC buffer is full

33 minutes ago, qstaq said:

Surprised that a 256GB NVMe drive only has 2.5GB or 1% of its capacity as fast flash and then the rest is QLC I presume? What model is it? Seems a bit of a con to have an NVMe drive that throttles down to half SATA speeds once the MLC buffer is full

I can't read the model number now. It's a no-brand.
I've gotten them for free, so a con it's not :) I know samsumg EVO's are a lot faster. But they also cost a lot more money. Cheers

Oh well, that's just a bonus then :)

Just out of interest, did you write test the zram performance? And what compression algorithm are you using? I've had some strange performance issues with zram on Arm v Power7/8 v Intel

Arm seems to be the only modern platform where LZO and LZ4 are not hardware accelerated. I don't know if this is a limitation of Arm's NEON vector extensions or if nobody got round to implementing vector instructions in the Arm ports

23 minutes ago, qstaq said:

Just out of interest, did you write test the zram performance? And what compression algorithm are you using? I've had some strange performance issues with zram on Arm v Power7/8 v Intel

Yes I did. 1.9GB/s for the M4 its zram.
The Odroid N2 gets 2.4GB/s. I'd like to test the M4V2. I'd need to get Armbian running on it. I think the friendlyElec images run the lpddr4 at the same clock as the lpddr3. There's even a little less performance. So I want to know why and how this is.
It's the default settings of zram-config. I think that's LZ0. Not sure.
Cheers

At the weekend, I tested the 64GB eMMC module and here are the results, just for the records

64GB eMMC module read  : 180 MB/s
                 write : 165 MB/s

... and also a Samsung 970 Evo Plus (500GB) with an amazing write speed of 730 MB/s

500GB 970 Evo Plus read : 736 MB/s
                  write : 730 MB/s