USB configuration

drfrutuoso

Hi,

I'm using 4.19.57-sunxi64 on a NanoPi NEO Plus2 and I'm wondering if there's a way to change some USB configurations just like I'd do with the cmdline.txt file on a RPi? I want to do some testing with USB over IP and for that I'd like to tweak the usb modules for better performance, liability.

My armbianEnv.txt is as follows:

verbosity=1
console=both
overlay_prefix=sun50i-h5
overlays=usbhost1 usbhost2
rootdev=UUID=a585aca3-aec7-475b-b43b-0a7875938ec7
rootfstype=ext4
usbstoragequirks=0x2537:0x1066:u,0x2537:0x1068:u

Thanks in advance! 

1 minute ago, martinayotte said:

The only people that can support a "closed" software is themselves ...

Right, but I'm not "stuck" with Eltima's software, reason why I didn't even mentioned it to begin with, what I am trying to find out is if there's any way to tweak the USB ports present on the NanoPi NEO Plus2, for instance forcing a 2.0 device to be used with 1.0 specifications (for example).

3 hours ago, drfrutuoso said:

forcing a 2.0 device to be used with 1.0 specifications

I never needed such feature, so I would need to do the same. Looking into the kernel driver code, device tree, documentation?
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/Documentation/usb?h=v4.19.76

For device tree/driver code you better look into our source code just to make sure you don't miss anything relevant.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:18 AM, drfrutuoso said:

Right, but I'm not "stuck" with Eltima's software, reason why I didn't even mentioned it to begin with, what I am trying to find out is if there's any way to tweak the USB ports present on the NanoPi NEO Plus2, for instance forcing a 2.0 device to be used with 1.0 specifications (for example).

What USB classes are you looking to do?

I did some work on the USB CDC-WDM stuff to interact with a modem as a redirect, and it was wicked nasty stuff to deal with... trust me on this, the USB implementation stuff in general is a pain, there are so many things to deal with to get it right.

The usb-ip stuff that @Igor mentions is a good place to start looking.

On 10/5/2019 at 4:40 AM, sfx2000 said:

What USB classes are you looking to do?

I did some work on the USB CDC-WDM stuff to interact with a modem as a redirect, and it was wicked nasty stuff to deal with... trust me on this, the USB implementation stuff in general is a pain, there are so many things to deal with to get it right.

The usb-ip stuff that @Igor mentions is a good place to start looking.

Mainly I'm working with card readers (RFID) and Image/Video processing devices.

My main goal here is to be able to generate the most optimal image for NanoPi Neo Plus2, meaning I'd like to have a default config file to use on all images I'd create from now on... therefore, since I'm using all of the USB hosts, and over IP, I'd like to have the best performance coming from them.

On 10/1/2019 at 7:18 AM, drfrutuoso said:

I am trying to find out is if there's any way to tweak the USB ports present on the NanoPi NEO Plus2, for instance forcing a 2.0 device to be used with 1.0 specifications

Are you sure you need to push the configs there?

Normally it's best to let the controllers negotiate and settle on a best match - since you're trying to do this over IP, focus on the IP aspects, and trust that the controller will sort things out.