Odroid C1: Bionic 5.3 network problem

alpe

Thanks and sorry.

It was probably this. I have been solving a lot of things the entire day and I missed this simple thing. <_<
I rebooted my board and it is taking forever for it to get an ip. Maybe because it is doing the "first boot" config again since I don't finished it the first time.

Will update once it boots.

55 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Don't forget that it ask for 1234 password twice, and then ask for new one, which required to be "not simple" (ie : use some mix of uppercases/lowercases and numbers)

Yes, this was the problem.

However there is another one. Every time I reboot it's taking about 20 minutes for it to request an ip and become online.

29 minutes ago, alpe said:

Every time I reboot it's taking about 20 minutes for it to request an ip and become online.

Whenever you ask for help, supply logs. Without, we know little to nothing.

armbianmonitor -u

45 minutes ago, Igor said:

Whenever you ask for help, supply logs. Without, we know little to nothing.

armbianmonitor -u

I rebooted it, and after 40m of waiting for network I gave up and flashed it again.

Now, first boot log:
http://ix.io/1NEc

I rebooted it now. It will probably take 20 minutes or more for it to become online.
When/if it does, I'll run the armbianmonitor again and update here.

Sadly I don't have a USB -> serial adapter, so if network don't connect I won't be able to run it.

I guess if that happens I can put this on rc.local: sleep 60 && armbianmonitor -u >> someplace

Edit: This wouldn't work, since it uploads to internet, duh. Does it have a parameter to output directly to stdout instead of uploading? (still waiting for the board to boot, so I can't check there)

Update: After the reboot, the network led stays off. It turns on for a few seconds, as usual, and then turns off and stays off. The heartbeat led is flashing as expected.

7 hours ago, alpe said:

the entire day

Well. If it works, works. Remember we don't support C1 - I hope you did notice that? ... because this "small" problem could lead in wasting hours to weeks. Which is out of range. On a quick log scan it network seems alright. It gets up. You will need to get console and see ...

Last time I was testing my C1 it was working normally. Network went up, USB ports were working and IIRC even DVFS is operational. Almost all but HDMI. 

@alpe as it is sn amlogic sbc you could try to install

rng-tools

to fill your random-number-pool faster.

if the pool isnt filled you couldnt ssh until your c1, because ssh-server needs these random numbers.

you could check the time how long it takes with

dmesg|grep random

after the installation of the rng-tools (apt install rng-tools) it should be much faster (normally under a minute)

see also about the boot/ip/ssh problem the following thread:

@Igor do you remember my first pull-request for rng-tools as a default package for amlogic-devices? ;)

8 hours ago, Igor said:

Well. If it works, works. Remember we don't support C1 - I hope you did notice that? ... because this "small" problem could lead in wasting hours to weeks. Which is out of range. On a quick log scan it network seems alright. It gets up. You will need to get console and see ...

Last time I was testing my C1 it was working normally. Network went up, USB ports were working and IIRC even DVFS is operational. Almost all but HDMI. 

Yes I know. That's why I posted on "Peer to peer technical support". I though it would be ok.

Yes, it used to work. I was using for a few months with no problem, and building/updating the firmware from time to time.

After updating to 5.3 this problem occurs. I formatted my sd card and downloaded the full image from the site to start over. And same problem.

I downloaded the official odroid image to see if the problem was my board, and it worked.

I'm trying to find the 5.2.y image somewhere but I can't. :/
On the site it says 5.2.y, but the link if for 5.3.

Just found the 5.1.y somewhere on my hdd. Will flash it and not update again.

Update: 5.1.y works as before.

7 hours ago, guidol said:

@alpe as it is sn amlogic sbc you could try to install

rng-tools

to fill your random-number-pool faster.

if the pool isnt filled you couldnt ssh until your c1, because ssh-server needs these random numbers.

you could check the time how long it takes with

dmesg|grep random

after the installation of the rng-tools (apt install rng-tools) it should be much faster (normally under a minute)

see also about the boot/ip/ssh problem the following thread:

@Igor do you remember my first pull-request for rng-tools as a default package for amlogic-devices? ;)

Thanks, while this could be causing the first boot to take way longer than it should, I don't think it apply to the network not coming up after reboot.

I ran into the same problem yesterday.

Didn't really try to analyse it in detail, but it looked like it didn't set up the network correctly after the first boot. What I did to fix it was essentially uninstalling network-manager and configuring the interface instead in /etc/network/interfaces (as dhcp).

One other thing I noticed was that one script was failing because of a missing "iozone" test run (but not sure if that then caused the network configuration issue).