cubieboard 1 legacy boot failure

ChrisArena52

I downloaded the jessie 3.34.112 desktop version of Cubieboard1 (Armbian_5.10_Cubieboard_Debian_jessie_3.4.112_desktop), loaded the microSD and got the attached boot which failed. This was captured from the serial console output.

The console was being echoed to the HDMI also. On the monitor, I saw the console become the graphics window, with random garbage clearing, then the HDMI signal ended.

I had the HDMI, LVDS display, USB wireless keyboard/mouse connected also. 

FYI

boot.fail.zip

There is nothing wrong in the log. How long do you wait? Perhaps disconnect LVDS and other stuff and try again.

Random garbage at start is somehow normal.

Attempting to boot with just power and a serial console:

<6>i2c /dev entries driver
config i2c gpio with gpio_config api
<6>axp_mfd 0-0034: AXP (CHIP ID: 0x41) detected
<6>axp_mfd 0-0034: AXP internal temperature monitoring enabled
<4>i2c i2c-0: Invalid probe address 0x00
<6>I2C: i2c-0: AW16XX I2C adapter
<4>i2c i2c-1: Invalid probe address 0x00
<6>I2C: i2c-1: AW16XX I2C adapter
<4>i2c i2c-2: Invalid probe address 0x00
<6>I2C: i2c-2: AW16XX I2C adapter
[cedar dev]: install start!!!
[cedar dev]: install end!!!
[tt]----- avs_dev driver load... ----
[tt]-----      register iomem      ----
[tt]--- avs_dev driver load ok!! -----
[ace_drv] start!!!
[ace_drv] init end!!!
[pa_drv] start!!!
[pa_drv] init end!!!
<6>axp20_ldo1: 1300 mV 
<6>axp20_ldo2: 1800 <--> 3300 mV at 3000 mV

And 12 minutes goes by .... no more output.

This is with my CB1 with no NAND.

These CB1's boot under the Vanilla version.

FYI

Attempting to boot with just power and a serial console:

[ace_drv] start!!!

[ace_drv] init end!!!

[pa_drv] start!!!

[pa_drv] init end!!!

<6>axp20_ldo1: 1300 mV 

<6>axp20_ldo2: 1800 <--> 3300 mV at 3000 mV

And 12 minutes goes by .... no more output.

This is with my CB1 with no NAND.

These CB1's boot under the Vanilla version.

FYI

Hi,

My Olimex Lime board was stopping at "axp20_ldo2: 1800 <--> 3300 mV at 3000 mV" recently when booting from SD card. I fixed the hang by upgrading U-Boot on the card. However I later found the 'hang' was due to a marginal power supply and the momentary voltage drop when the AXP209 enabled something was enough to halt the SoC.

So maybe try a newer U-Boot (if one is available) or try a better power supply. Or if you have a long cable from the supply to the CB1 then try a shorter cable.

Cheers,

Steven

I have the exact same problem with my Cubieboard 2, shutting down right after "<6>axp20_ldo2: 1800 <--> 3300 mV at 3000 mV" (full output from the console from booting Armbian_5.10_Cubieboard2_Debian_jessie_3.4.112_desktop). I tried with several power supplies, the main one being a solid 2A with a fixed cable directly to the barrel socket so I doubt that's at fault. The images with vanilla kernels are also ok.

Regarding the new U-Boot - I'm kinda lost on that, do I need to follow the whole setup from http://www.armbian.com/using-armbian-tools/? Do I build the whole kernel with the basic support stuff and get separable U-Boot to overwrite on the card after that? I don't know where to start and google isn't helping me very much either... Can you push me into the right direction, please?

Build script produces kernel and uboot separate, so you can update one by one.  Both are deb packaged ...

Currently I have no idea what's the problem but I suspect u-boot related troubles. I don't own CB2 but anything else ... Cubietruck, Bananas, Olimex A20 board. All of them are working fine with the same kernel.

Today, I am also having similar issue with legacy jessie image, where it appears U-Boot works, but at the point it starts to load the kernel the board powers off.

Image = Armbian_5.10_Cubieboard2_Debian_jessie_3.4.112.raw

The vanilla image works fine, but I would like to use the NAND, so at the moment I must use legacy kernel.

This board has been working fine for a long time with Cubian, which appears no longer alive, hence coming over to Armbian.

Any advice on what I should or could try ?

I also have just recently a new Olimex LIME2 with 7" LCD, works great with vanilla, haven't tried legacy on this board.

Igor and friends, you are total wizards, I really appreciate your work, Najlepša hvala :)

Regards from the island of Tasmania, down under.

Paul

I'm running U-boot 2016-05-rc3 which solved the problem on my Lime board. I'm running the same U-boot on my CB2 (just installed now) and it works.

It sounds like it might be a U-boot problem that causes the halt after printing the "<6>axp20_ldo2: 1800 <--> 3300 mV at 3000 mV" line. I can't be sure because although replacing U-boot fixed the problem for me, I had other problems that did turn out to be due to a failing power supply.

Cheers,

Steven

Steven, is there a quick or easy method to changing the U-Boot ?

When I boot the Cubieboard2, I see it has U-Boot 2016-01

It starts okay, with U-boot messages before saying 'Starting Kernel" and promptly powering off.

The messages are being displayed on the HDMI monitor, but it happens fast, so I don't get time to study the full content.

So, I looked at installing the toolchain to be able to build the complete system, from Igor's Git.

Problem for me I think is that my main development system is GNU/Linux Mint LMDE2, based on Debian directly, not Ubuntu, and I don't seem to be able to install "gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf", which is needed by Igor's toolchain setup.

So, have spent four days researching about all this and haven't yet found an answer to being able to install the correct toolchain on my system, and I really don't want to install Ubuntu, although I have loved using for many years now.

Paul - VK7KPA

Hi,

I've uploaded my U-boot (with spl) to http://phelum.net/temp/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.binso please try to download it. Once you have it you can use dd to update your SD card. Assuming that you SD card is /dev/sda the command is:

dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/sda bs=1k seek=8

I doubt your SD card will actually be /dev/sda so please change the command to suit. I'm assuming that you have a Linux system that you can use to update your card.

Cheers,

Steven

Steven, that works very nicely, thank you for your effort in providing the u-boot bin file and instructions :)

Now I can play with my Cubieboard2 again.

I will also be using the later vanilla image as well, to become more familiar with both and what will work better for my application.

I have developed an application in C that is essentially a SCADA system, that talks Modbus to devices like Arduinos or PLCs.

It has inbuilt HTTP server to serve up static files as well as listen to AJAX calls for real time data updates.

I wanted to look into CAN bus and how I can make use of this also to talk to my Lithium battery management system, which currently talks to an Arduino DUE via CAN bus.

Thanks again Steven,

Paul

Where can I find a u-boot image applicable to a CB1 ? The one mentioned above doesn't work for a CB1.

When I set it up, I got (repeating): 

U-Boot SPL 2016.05-rc3-12471-gad14166 (Apr 29 2016 - 17:57:15)
DRAM:Timeout initialising DRAM

resetting ...

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I don't remember where the U-Boot came from. Judging by the date I doubt I generated it.

I'm trying to generate a new one from the current base. I'll report back here when I get it working.

Cheers,

Steven

I've just generated a U-Boot for my CB1 running a legacy kernel. Steps are:

git clone -b sunxi https://github.com/linux-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi.git

make Cubieboard_config

make

dd if=u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1k seek=8

I first tried to generate U-Boot from the u-boot-sunxi at git.denx.de and although it would load and start the kernel nothing happened after "Starting kernel".

The new U-Boot is at http://phelum.net/temp/CB1/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin.

Cheers,

Steven

I first tried to generate U-Boot from the u-boot-sunxi at git.denx.de and although it would load and start the kernel nothing happened after "Starting kernel".

Did you miss "setenv bootm_boot_mode sec" to be set when trying to load a legacy 3.4.x kernel with mainline u-boot?

Hi,

I've tried with and without "setenv bootm_boot_mode sec". My boot.scr works with the legacy U-Boot (2014.04) and the mainline U-Boot (2013.10) I probably got from a disk image. But it doesn't work (hang after "Starting kernel") with the mainline U-Boot (2016.05). My boot.scr is below. All 3 partitions on the SD card are ext2.

Cheers,

Steven

(apologies if this doesn't format correctly; something in my browser is annoying the forum software).

env set fdt_high ffffffff
setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1024x768p60 \
                root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait panic=10 rootfstype=ext2
#setenv extraargs rootfstype=ext2
#setenv script script.cb1
#setenv machid 0x10bb
#setenv bootfstype ext2
#setenv scriptaddr 0x43000000
#	mode sec required for old kernels, this forces single CPU mode !!!
setenv bootm_boot_mode sec
#printenv
ext2load mmc 0 0x43000000 /boot/script.cb1
ext2load mmc 0 0x48000000 /boot/uImage
bootm 0x48000000

Hi Igor,

Yes, your config patch solves the problem. Much better than needing an old U-Boot for legacy kernels.

Update: I've just found that Cubieboard_defconfig doesn't select "Enable workarounds for booting old kernels". Selecting this option fixes the boot problem (same as your patch).

Cheers,

Steven