R1 SATA working with old Kernel 3.4.112 but with new Kernel 4.5.2

meetyg

Hello,

First I would like to thank Igor for his amazing work on Armbian!

I know that the Lamobo/BPI R1 is very problematic with power and SATA, but when I installed Armbian 5.1 jessie with the legacy kernel, it seems that the SATA is working fine. But when I tried the same Armbian 5.1 with vanilla kernel it wasn't able to boot and the hard drive made knocking noises. Just to make sure, I disconnected the HD and it booted fine.

I think that this is a software problem (maybe uboot?) because as I mentioned it works with the older kernel.

I tried installing the uboot package bananapro-next as Igor adviced someone with a banana pro but it didn't help.

I'm using a good 2A power adapter and a quality cable so I guess that solves the hardware side of the problem.

I would really like to have the newer kernel with Docker support because I want to be able to run Docker containers.

Any ideas about the software side?

Thank in advance.

It must be u-boot related. We had this issue in the past ... try downloading latest mainline u-boot, compile it and write to SD card. We are not using latest u-boot since there are other serious problems (perhaps already fixed) on some boards.

... until we don't find time and check / provide an update.