How to track changes in packages?

rufik

How to track changes in armbian packages, especially for dev boards like OPI 3? I know there is Changelog in docs site but it's not really up to date...

For example apt reports me now that there are new packages to be updated: linux-dtb-dev-sunxi64 linux-image-dev-sunxi64 linux-u-boot-orangepi3-dev. How can I tracka/see changes made in them?

2 hours ago, rufik said:

but it's not really up to date

Collect info and share. Sharing is caring and collection information is work. We are doing enough of that.

Perhaps start here:
https://github.com/armbian/build/commits/master + stuff which is around various branches

https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/ChangeLog-5.3.7 (general stuff)

Could we make a diff between the two commits of a version bump? If we store those in a dedicated folder it would be easier to make a more detailed change log cause you can see what changed between those.

8 hours ago, chwe said:

Could we make a diff between the two commits of a version bump?

Automatic? Yes. It is possible to make some automated releasing, but this will just merge commit comments into one file. Without human touch this will not be much bigger step from what it is now. One can see git log and understand ... but also adding upstream features/bug changes? On a moving development target? We never did that very good .... and since we struggle with maintaining without this I don't see to put more effort into doing that.

3 hours ago, rufik said:

Diff would be really nice and 100% sufficient for me

Manual? I can't do it, can't hire and can only ask if you would like to help.

If you can't, let's forget about or hope that someone else saw this and consider helping our efforts.

On the other project we use Jira for keeping development under control (which we would like to implement exactly with the purpose to be able to extract such information without too much efforts), but at the end, person responsible for releasing, copy and pastes only important information from Jira to the release document. Major, Minor + patch which are not getting any release text.

We have to fix versioning on the way ... and hopefully find someone who will be responsible for keeping information fresh at one place. Remember that two out of three most active people are inactive & third had to cut down involvement into the project to half.

11 minutes ago, Igor said:

Automatic? Yes. It is possible to make some automated releasing, but this will just merge commit comments into one file

As far as comments are somehow meaningful it's perfectly fine. Consider this example:

$ sudo apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
armbian-config/bionic,bionic 5.98.191022 all [upgradable from: 5.98.191016]

It would be nice to know what has changed in armbian-config package version 5.98.191022 compared to 5.98.191016, if it's worth to upgrade or just dangerous to me (like kernel/uboot). Commit comments are sufficient, I can just go to github repo to investigate it further.

33 minutes ago, Igor said:

Manual? I can't do it, can't hire and can only ask if you would like to help.

I really know that any hands are welcome, I've been tracking project for more than year and still have no time to participate (kids, kids, kids, work, building a house) :/ But maybe...some day...:P

49 minutes ago, rufik said:

It would be nice to know what has changed in armbian-config package version 5.98.191022 compared to 5.98.191016

Those are automated builds and there only an automated way of information extraction is an option. And it will still be limited since it's hard to add relevant upstream (u-boot/kernel) information automatically. Even we proceed with versions we have on beta builds it will still be yet another small to medium project. And we are stuck again.

52 minutes ago, rufik said:

kids, kids, kids, work, building a house

2 x small kids, 2 x full time work, moving to different location earlier this year ...