X88 King S922X TV Box for Armbian

amirul

• amirul changed the title to X88 King S922X TV Box for Armbian

Interesting- have you tried installing Coreelec (really interested in this)? Is there really 128GB ram? What kind.

This box seems the most affordable of all the S922x boxes. I wonder if the firmware will ever get updated?

Edited by HDGuy

5 hours ago, HDGuy said:

Interesting- have you tried installing Coreelec (really interested in this)? Is there really 128GB ram? What kind.

This box seems the most affordable of all the S922x boxes. I wonder if the firmware will ever get updated?

Firmware just got updated the other day. Currently using it for Netflix :)

2 hours ago, amirul said:

Firmware just got updated the other day. Currently using it for Netflix :)

Who updated it? I couldn’t find any one company that supports it.

I assume it runs stock android and not Android TV? While it’s nice that Netflix works it’s not a verified platform so no 4K HDR support. If I want that I’ll just buy another Fire Stick 4k for $25.

Thats why I’m interested in running Coreelec on it, because it opens up a lot of possibilities- such as using it as an easy to set up basic SMB server, etc. Already have a generic S912 box running Coreelec, but it’s just not powerful enough to do much.

My adventures with my tv boxes have been limited to running Armbian provided by balbes so I couldnt even begin to tell you whether coreelec runs on it. Since armbian usb hence keyboard not working, using it with stock android. In the middle of Netflix when I got notification that system update was available. Went thru with the update and tv box still up and running. No idea where thaf update came from

1 hour ago, amirul said:

My adventures with my tv boxes have been limited to running Armbian provided by balbes so I couldnt even begin to tell you whether coreelec runs on it. Since armbian usb hence keyboard not working, using it with stock android. In the middle of Netflix when I got notification that system update was available. Went thru with the update and tv box still up and running. No idea where thaf update came from

Well, at least you got Armbian working (somewhat).  If you tried getting Coreelec installed that would be of great help because it is the cheapest S922x box out there, but of course that's up to you. I like fooling around with CE stuff myself- I would have purchased an Odroid N2 at this point but it's still somewhat expensive.  Was also looking at the Nvidia Jetson Nano but the drivers are sort of iffy- there might be Kodi support at some time in the future, but who knows. Definitely the most powerful device of its type for <$100.

7 hours ago, HDGuy said:

Thats why I’m interested in running Coreelec on it, because it opens up a lot of possibilities- such as using it as an easy to set up basic SMB server,

Using coreelec to share your resources is tantamount to leaving the door open for unhindered theft of all your personal data from your home network.  B)

3 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Using coreelec to share your resources is tantamount to leaving the door open for unhindered theft of all your personal data from your home network.  B)

I don’t worry about it, I have nothing critical on those drives except a few Blu-ray rips, for basic purposes like that it’s fine.. I was just giving an example. I am more interested in the video playback of course. As I said, the S912 is fine, but doesn’t handle some decoding tasks well.

41 minutes ago, amirul said:

Downloaded a rom image from the forum. Now to figure out how to look for the dtb in there

According to them the kernel needs to be fixed and it’s not rooted, but otherwise it’s the best s922x out there right now as far as hardware goes.  I might pick one up anyways.

16 minutes ago, HDGuy said:

According to them the kernel needs to be fixed and it’s not rooted, but otherwise it’s the best s922x out there right now as far as hardware goes.  I might pick one up anyways.

:thumbup: yes get it and maybe we can figure out how to get usb/keyboard to work in armbian :)

17 hours ago, HDGuy said:

Anyone speak Russian?

It's my mother tongue. What is the problem?

10 hours ago, HDGuy said:

but otherwise it’s the best s922x out there right now as far as hardware goes.

The information is not correct, it is not the best option with a bunch of potential problems. Therefore, it is so cheap that it will require significant additional costs for Linux.  B)