X88 King S922X TV Box for Armbian

amirul

17 hours ago, amirul said:

coreelec sdcard included in purchase of beelink gt-king

If you do not care about the security of all your personal data (credit cards, accounts, etc.) in the entire home network, then this is your choice.

I do not impose anything on anyone, you decide what to use and what to risk. 

On 11/30/2019 at 7:13 AM, balbes150 said:

.. .. and you get many years of support from the manufacturer + guaranteed support for Armbian and LE in full.  :)

I agree, the support from ugoos is excellent (armbian also ;))! I fear that my ut3s won't never receive android 7, even if there is a beta since more than a year. However, I have an s912 box with the am3 firmware and I got an update a few month ago.

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

What's the processor ?

It's rk3288, but I didn't really need this update, since I use another box on my TV. It was just to illustrate the fact that ugoos maintain their product for a long time and that is what decided me in buying am6 pro instead of another brand.

20 hours ago, amirul said:

https://twrp.me/

Anyone have experience running this on their boxes before?

Phone yes, box no. I have a Mecool BB2 (no pro). Nice box, runs Coreelec well. Over on the Kodi forum someone posted being able to get lossless bitstreaming (DTS-HD, etc) working on the 2019 Fire TV Cube which has the S922z chipset. 

I assume that x88 firmware is the same exact one posted on the Russian forum. Do we know where it comes from?

As you can tell I am looking for a new toy to play with, I'd like to fool around with Armbian and Coreelec/libreelec a bit. Still tempted to pick up a Nvidia Jetson Nano but it doesn't run Kodi well.

5 hours ago, HDGuy said:

.... Do we know where it comes from?

No clue. Looks like a repackage by the androidpctv guys.

I still have not figured out how to get usb to work. Even tried the g21a dtbs, same deal - boots to desktop with no usb or ethernet. Wish I had the skill to fashion a device tree file for it.

1 hour ago, amirul said:

Yes i did not expect it to.  I was hoping something in the new build would magically bring the usb to life :)

If you can magically turn your X88 into a Ugoos AM6, then your problems are automatically solved. :)

8 hours ago, amirul said:

android ota updating to X88King_20191211-1206

changelog says 1. optimize system 2. fix bugs   ---  hilarious :lol:

At least they’re updating it. Everyone originally thought it would never get a firmware update.

According to that Russian forum the benchmark results are now in line with other 922x boxes. 

Im just going to wait and see if there’s a 922x based box that comes out with authorized Android TV support, either that or I’ll get a Jetson Nano to play with. 

5 hours ago, HDGuy said:

...Jetson Nano to play with. 

The Nano is cool, or Odroid-N2 even. Thing is with these dev boards you have to add case, power supply. I thought I could get lucky with the X88 but it seems there is no solution to usb yet. :(

On 12/4/2019 at 1:18 AM, amirul said:

https://twrp.me/

Anyone have experience running this on their boxes before?

Yes, I have used it in most of my devices to make nandroid backups.

You need to get the proper recovery.img for a similar S922X 4G, put it in the root of the microsd/usb, and boot it in recovery mode (toothstick) and twrp should boot up. You can also flash it to the recovery partition, but I prefer to leave the original recovery untouched, if possible.

On 12/29/2019 at 8:13 PM, balbes150 said:

Do not waste time on tests, as long as the manufacturer does not add the necessary parameters, there will be no miracles.

What parameters do you need, 

.configure files, full kernel sources? 

If we had the proper dtb file would it work?

Isn't it possible to extract and convert the dts/dtb file from android as root to use in armbian and LE? Or maybe it's not that simple?

I guess it won't be so easy, or there would be plenty of customized dtbs for all devices.

I have extracted the android dtbs from that image, but I think you will need to adapt it for linux and then compile it into a binary somehow.

Here is a zip file attached with what I got extracted in the dtb directory using customization tool from amlogic tools.

I still haven't decided which new box I'm getting, if usb eventually works with this X88 King I might get one. Or maybe I'll get a cheaper one with S905X3 and 4G/64G

dtb.zip

1 hour ago, ramoncio said:

I have compiled those android dts files into dtbs using dtc in linux, I got tons of warnings but the dtbs got compiled.

dtc -O dtb -o x88_1.dtb dtb_1

dtc -O dtb -o x88_2.dtb dtb_2

Here they are in a zip file, but I would be amazed if they worked  :-)

x88_android_dtb.zip 43.38 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks for making them for me :)

Unfortunately none of them works :(

I'll root around in the dts to see what's going on.

Thanks again