armbian-config like RaspAP-webGUI

Hi,

I have found a RaspAP-webgui very useful if for example the device is deployed to an end user. Mostly is needed to set etherenet address DHCP or static.  Rpi can work as access point and wireless client at the same time. This can be used for example to connect to the internet and sync RTC clock, or remote access through VPN  - if for example one uses his phone to establish a hotspot. 

Now , I believe that armbian-config is also a powerful tool for configuration, but not helpful for end user who can be a noob. A web based GUI that could be used to configure network resources only would be appreciated. Just network, not all the delicate stuff as you can do it with armbian-config. 

The Rasp-AP runs on raspbian only, but I do think that you have an extensive knowledge that you could fork it and make t working on armbian. IMO, it's the most useful application for Rpi,  

On 11/2/2019 at 4:46 PM, Marko Buršič said:

Now , I believe that armbian-config is also a powerful tool for configuration, but not helpful for end user who can be a noob.

why not? what on armbian-config is not "end-user" friendly?

It has the possibility to change very important settings which the end-user may not access. The end-user is a person/company (in my case they are butchers, computer knowledge = zero)  that buys a final product (SBC + embedded board) and the only thing it has to set is the network connection to the infrastructure (LAN or Wifi).  Armbian-config is not a web based GUI.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:53 AM, Marko Buršič said:

Armbian-config is not a web based GUI.

no it's a cli based but should be possible to configure even for a newbie.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:53 AM, Marko Buršič said:

The end-user is a person/company (in my case they are butchers, computer knowledge = zero)

you may need to write a tutorial with printscreens how to to do it.

for me the whole request sounds a bit like offloading your work to us (it seems you sell a product based on armbian, I can be wrong here but it just sounds like that). Armbian is ubuntu/debian + usable kernel (might not be the official definition but it's mine), IMO this doesn't really fit into the project for the following reasons:

• we had to make sure that both armbian-config and RaspAP will work at the same time (means one doesn't mess the other one up)
  • armbian uses NetworkManager, Raspbian not, so it's not just a few hacks here and there to get this working
  • I don't see much of a use-case for it but a lot of maintenance costs to keep it updated
  • honestly, lack of interest to maintain another piece of software I don't use.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:10 PM, chwe said:

for me the whole request sounds a bit like offloading your work to us (it seems you sell a product based on armbian, I can be wrong here but it just sounds like that)

It runs on Rpi and Raspbian, I would like to port on different platform with eMMC. I have lot of work to do, if I would like to port it, Rasp-AP isn't necessary. As said, I do think this app is very useful, it gives a web based GUI, like most routers have.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:10 PM, chwe said:
  • we had to make sure that both armbian-config and RaspAP will work at the same time (means one doesn't mess the other one up)
  • armbian uses NetworkManager, Raspbian not, so it's not just a few hacks here and there to get this working
  • I don't see much of a use-case for it but a lot of maintenance costs to keep it updated
  • honestly, lack of interest to maintain another piece of software I don't use.

I don't have any deep knowledge in OS. If you don't find it useful, or it interferes with basic concept of Armbian, then never mind.  I just thought it was an easy task and that many people would be interested, but it seems I was wrong, sorry about that.

it is doable no question. But the way raspian configures interfaces differs from ours which adds then additional work to do. I don't know if there are any web UIs for NetworkManager this might then not be exactly the same interface as this one but also work.

5 hours ago, Marko Buršič said:

but it seems I was wrong, sorry about that.

nothing to feel bad about.. Never the less you can try to port it.. and maybe someone will help you. Only cause I'm not interested in doesn't mean nobody is.

I run Armbian buster minimal on RockPi4.

I had tried this:

sudo apt-get install cockpit

sudo apt-get install cockpit-networkmanager

and got this:

image.thumb.png.da14075085b643d5be8e688f72c90aa8.png

Well it's a nice Web GUI. I can change the eth0 settings from DHCP, Static and it is also edited/changed in armbian-config. wlan0 however can't be changed, but this is not a problem for my application.  So, there are even better alternatives than Rasp-AP.

I have found that I can't have wireless access point and client at the same time.