[Orange Pi Zero (512MB)] disable WiFi and USB

gurabli

Armbianmonitor:

I run the OPi Zero as a Pihole with etherned, and I would like to minimize power consumption as low as possible.

1. I did change the frequency to be between 120 - 960 Mhz, and ondemand. This probably reduces power and heat too.

2. I'm not sure how to disable USB (I don't need it at all) and WiFi. I read the threads, like this but not sure how to do. Can you please guide me?

3. I saw there are other options too, with a tool h3consuption, but I don't know how to install it and what can I do to squeze down a couple of mW's more.

Your help is very much appreciated!

13 hours ago, gurabli said:

but I don't know how to install it

It's installed by default but it doesn't support mainline kernel. Why? Because its completely different, certain advanced power management features are not yet ported yet and someone has to invest a lot of time to develop completely new tool. Until there is no tool, there is not possible to do this in a simple manner.

13 hours ago, gurabli said:

I'm not sure how to disable USB

Disable in armbian-config -> hardware and blacklist wireless module (name is xradio_wlan or something)

1 hour ago, gurabli said:

USB can be disabled in armbian-config, correct? 

yes.

1 hour ago, gurabli said:

Not an expect enough to locate what module is for wifi and how to backlist, but will do my best.

I wrote the possible name (check with lsmod) and a link to the manual. Read them.

5 hours ago, gurabli said:

Not an expect enough to locate what module is for wifi and how to backlist, but will do my best. 

take a look at the last message in this thread

for blacklisting 

- xradio_wlan

- mac80211

- cfg80211

21 minutes ago, guidol said:

take a look at the last message in this thread

for blacklisting 

- xradio_wlan

- mac80211

- cfg80211

So much thanks, I will try this.

I see the last step, thas it mean after a kernel update I need to issue this again? 

16 hours ago, gurabli said:

So much thanks, I will try this.

I see the last step, thas it mean after a kernel update I need to issue this again? 

I do not think so. The blacklist files will stay anyways and initramfs should also be recreated automatically once you install a new kernel.