doesn't boot to deskstop

proj964

/etc/update-motd.d/10-armbian-header: line 25: /usr/bin/toilet: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
/etc/update-motd.d/30-armbian-sysinfo: line 171: /usr/bin/tr: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
/etc/update-motd.d/30-armbian-sysinfo: line 171: /usr/bin/uptime: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
/etc/update-motd.d/30-armbian-sysinfo: line 189: /usr/bin/tr: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

It looks like file system corruption ... which can be caused by many things. There are at least three different boards hw revisions, many different eMMCs  ...

Thanks for the response; I was kinda dreading that as an answer.

It is a V2 board with a FORESEE NCEMAM8B-16GB eMMC.

Both of these, along with the power supply, came directly

from the Pine Store in June 2019.

I suppose the only thing to do is to reformat/reload armbian.

These haven't seen much use, so this appears to be a fairly

fragile system; I was hoping it would be more industrial 

strength.

18 minutes ago, proj964 said:

Both of these, along with the power supply, came directly from the Pine Store

This does not give you any warranty for functioning. Hardware is almost always failed at some point/somewhere when its released by hardware folks. By default. Software is searching and fixing defects and make it possible that you some day run (fairly stable) Linux distribution (or something similar) on it. Pine64 folks are hardware designers in 1st place, sellers in 2nd and are poor at software support. Its not just their fault to be fair, but also from users which expects/demands top quality but are not willing to pay for that.

This is not industrial hardware but yet another development board for masses where software support maturity is leveraged mainly to community. They (Pine64) are already working with other projects ...

18 minutes ago, proj964 said:

I suppose the only thing to do is to reformat/reload armbian.

One possible solution for this is limiting the speed of eMMC. I think somebody has experimented with this. Do some forum search for details.