Single Armbian image for RK + AML + AW (aarch64 ARMv8)

balbes150

Hi @balbes150, just booted the 20200902 version of Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_focal_current_5.8.5_desktop.img on my GT-King Pro tvbox, using meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb from armbian build done from v20200821 commit.

It works nice (as far as a quick boot test), including playback of the test video from desktop. Thank you.

The only hiccup encountered was unexpected shrink of mmcblk1p2 by about 150MB on the first boot making the next boot not working.
Probably could have been caused by that I had not used the full image but rather copied only the content from the two partitions to my sd card already partitioned for other uses, adjusting 'root' partition label in extlinux.conf.

Fixed it by resize of the mmcblk1p2 to the full size which I had before the trial, luckily not loosing data that I had there (besides the armbian rootfs) before the test.

Could you please include meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb in your builds?

Could you please push your changes corresponding to v20200902 to the github?

Thanks a lot.

1 hour ago, teacup said:

Could you please include meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb in your builds?

These models don't have support.

1 hour ago, teacup said:

Could you please push your changes corresponding to v20200902 to the github?

I'll push it when it's ready.

Hi, is there anybody that successfully runs Armbian on H3 soc?

I used @balbes150 image and patched it with the "u-boot-oorange-pi-pc2.img" but it does not boot.

Unfortunately the official Image of H3 from "Beelink X2" is not available for download. I watched on youtube that somebody was able to boot to armbian using those obsolete image which is not available for download

My board is MXQ Pro 4K Allwinner H3.

Help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Edited by rna

54 minutes ago, rna said:

Hi, is there anybody that successfully runs Armbian on H3 soc?

Sure, have multiple OrangePi One and an OrangePi Zero here which are built around the H2+/H3 SoC and working nicely.

However in your case I'd suggest start a) using the search engine and b) using the matching thread and not the one for aarch64 (H3 is 32bit and armhf).

1 hour ago, Werner said:

Sure, have multiple OrangePi One and an OrangePi Zero here which are built around the H2+/H3 SoC and working nicely.

However in your case I'd suggest start a) using the search engine and b) using the matching thread and not the one for aarch64 (H3 is 32bit and armhf).

Thanks for your reply @Werner, I just realized that Allwinner H3 box is an Arm32/Armhf. Thanks for the info

On 9/4/2020 at 9:45 AM, balbes150 said:

These models don't have support.

Could you please explain?

I have used meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb built within v20200821 sources available on github, the dev/mainline kernel branch (5.9.0-rc3 kernel version) and it seems to work fine now even with 20200904 release with my GT-KingPro (kernel 5.8.5).

Do you mean there is some major issue due to which GT-KingPro cannot be supported? Like something with gpu acceleration for example?

I am particularly interested into running tvheadend with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD tuner - managed to build tvheadend 4.2 and could get it running with the tuner streaming 9 dvb channels to PC.

The great thing with 5.8.5 kernel is that the WinTV-dualHD tuner works nice in usb3 ports of GT-KingPro. That is not the case with amlogic 4.9 kernel unfortunately, where I get

em28xx 1-1.1:1.0: writing to i2c device at 0xc8 failed (error=-5)

errors when using usb3 ports. With amlogic 4.9 kernel the tuner works only in usb2otg port of GT-KingPro.

Strange thing is that with 5.8.5 kernel the tuner does not work in usb2otg port, getting the same i2c errors as present with 4.9 and usb3 port.

I wonder about that opposite behaviour of usb ports in amlogic 4.9 vs mainline kernels and if it could be fixed that it would work with both type of usb ports in either of the kernels.

Hello all,

I have 20.08 on my X96 Air.

Today after running apt update && apt upgrade, i rebooted the machine, but it hangs on a black screen after the "X96 Air" logo.

Is there a way i can get back into the system without erasing the eMMC? Unfortunately I can not get a list of what had been updated as I can't get back into the OS.

I was able to boot the machine with the same USB drive I installed 20.08 from, but i'm not sure how i could attempt to rescue my system. I noticed all the folders in /boot say 5.7.16 however my /lib/modules folder said 5.7.15. I tried changing the name in /lib/modules to 5.7.15, but it still doesnt' work.

Thank you,

Edited by Uwu

20 hours ago, gcsuri said:

Hi,

I used 20.09 on my X96-max. Booted from usb, works fine. After install-aml.sh the box doesn't boot. Neither usb or internal. :(

bestregards, Gabor

If you find a stock Android firmware for your X96-max, you should be able to recover it with sd-card.

For my X96 Air which bricked after install-aml.sh on latest 20.09, I downloaded "X96Air_P3_20191220-2048.img" and burned it to sd-card.

USB-stick seems not to work for this.

I will attempt reinstall of 20.09, since the Android image can work to recover the box.

On 9/2/2020 at 9:52 AM, hexdump said:

maybe try another keyboard or usb port

Thank you hexdump for the suggestion.

I don't have another keyboard, but it worked by keeping a key pressed on the keyboard while powering on the box :)

And when I do this and the keyboard works, the output to the hdmi is much slower than when the keyboard is unrecognised.

Also FYI,  I noticed that the wired ethernet is not working with this u-boot. I tried to use dhcp, but it gives errors about not being able to negociate network speed even if there is link on the cable.

9 hours ago, Uwu said:

For my X96 Air which bricked after install-aml.sh on latest 20.09, I downloaded "X96Air_P3_20191220-2048.img" and burned it to sd-card.

USB-stick seems not to work for this.

I will attempt reinstall of 20.09, since the Android image can work to recover the box.

Hi,

remove the line from install-aml.sh contains /dev/zero then uncomment the line contains boot.ini. After this you can run install-aml.sh to boot from internal mmc.

regards, Gabor

Hi, today I tried again to get Armbian working on my device and it succeeded. My box is a GTMedia GTC, S905d, 2gb DDR3, use the meson-gxl-s905d-p231.dtb, editing the extlinux.conf file, don't need to load from the android update option, directly connect the sd to the box, connect to the current and start. Previously it was with the version "Armbian_5.44_S9xxx_Ubuntu_bionic_3.14.29_mate_20180601.img", it worked fine, but it did not detect the internal wifi card, now, I am with the version "Armbian_20.02.0-rc1.037_Aml-s9xxx_buster_current_5.5.0-rc6_desktop_20200205.img", Bluetooth works, internal wifi, ethernet, sound, so I tested, everything works, the stability seems better than the version 5.44 that I had before, the only thing is that the videos do not work as fluent as in android, but hey, that already I do not know if it is due to linux, lack of drivers or that, also, is there a way to reproduce widevine content with this version of armbian or do I need to update something? Thank you

Edited by fedex149

8 hours ago, gcsuri said:

Hi,

remove the line from install-aml.sh contains /dev/zero then uncomment the line contains boot.ini. After this you can run install-aml.sh to boot from internal mmc.

regards, Gabor

wow, very good catch. I will attempt to install 20.09 tonight this way.

I wonder how to prevent system breaking upon update of the kernel image, though?

4 hours ago, fedex149 said:

the only thing is that the videos do not work as fluent as in android, but hey, that already I do not know if it is due to linux, lack of drivers or that, also, is there a way to reproduce widevine content with this version of armbian or do I need to update something? Thank you

Unfortunately this is one of those things you have to live with, the android driver is both closed source and unavailable for any platform besides android, thus unless someone writes a driver from scratch to fully offload GPU processes to hardware, it will always be done in CPU in linux.

13 hours ago, hanguofu said:

Would you mind telling me how to generate the u-boot-s905x-s912  at boot dir. of armbian release ? I cannot find any source/repository about it

See the posts in this topic above, there is an indication of the source code for the build.

Hey @balbes150, thank you for creating this awesome image!

I've managed to successfully boot an MXQPro 4k (Amlogic S905X p212 board) from SD Card, however upon running the installation script Armbian,  it doesn't seem to find the internal eMMC.

root@arm-64:~# ./install-aml.sh
Start script create MBR and filesystem
 UNABLE TO FIND YOUR EMMC DRIVE OR YOU ALREADY RUN FROM EMMC!!!

I'm using the `u-boot-s905x-s912` bootloader,  `ODROIDN2-UBOOT-CONFIG` in boot.ini, and the following DTB config in `extlinux.conf`:

# aml s9xxx
FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb
APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

However,  I can't seem to find my internal eMMC:

root@arm-64:~# lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
mmcblk0     179:0    0   7.3G  0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1    0   512M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2    0   6.6G  0 part /
zram0       254:0    0    50M  0 disk /var/log
zram1       254:1    0 459.5M  0 disk [SWAP]

(Please note that `mmcblk0` is my sd card.)

Can you please help me identify the problem, so I can install Armbian into the internal storage of my board?

Any help would be much appreciated.

CInGn84.png

7 hours ago, Vasy said:

I tried via USB and SD-Card with reset button pressed and it doesn't work...

For the first launch, you only need to use an SD card with added u-boot for AW, or use a specialized image for H6 that already has u-boot.

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

For the first launch, you only need to use an SD card with added u-boot for AW, or use a specialized image for H6 that already has u-boot.

Thanks mate for helping here, I will try so. I will read the instructions again and do it by the numbers. Is eMMC boot also stable, or will I brick it if I write armbian there? I always aim for eMMC since read/write speeds are way faster than SD.

Hello, still looking for a solution to add midi support for an s912 H96 PRO + box.
After some research, I tried compiling the kernel with the "built-in tool" with the command ./compile.sh.
But it does not work !
Anyone have a solution?

[ error ] ERROR in function prepare_host [ general.sh:503 ] 

[ error ] Running this tool on non x86-x64 build host in not supported

Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.8.5.img.xz (with added desktop) runs without problems for around 24 hours from eMMC on some of my x96mini 2/16G devices..

When testing Armbian_20.09_Arm-64_bionic_dev_5.9.0-rc4.img.xz (where usb works now) before, I had problems installing the desktop(installation via armbian-config started, but stopped after 2 seconds without any message), also system complains that filesystem needs resize on next boot(but this was already done on first boot..fs and size were okay when checked with fsck on linux laptop..), but I'm not sure if those issues came from my card, which was an older one with already 500+ write-cycles!?..

I tried with an ubuntu live cd without succes.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ E: Package 'dialog' has no installation candidate
/home/ubuntu/build/lib/main.sh: line 144: dialog: command not found
[ error ] ERROR in function source [ main.sh:146 ]
[ error ] No option selected
[ o.k. ] Process terminated
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install dialog
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package dialog is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

12 hours ago, balbes150 said:

No one has tested this model, so the result is not known.

Tried again to boot. Upon startup with reset button pressed, the status LED stays red and the device does not boot at all.

Later edit: followed some guides on YT and burned again the u-boot to SD with balena etcher. Now it boots but stops at "Scanning for Btrfs filesystem". To dig further...

h10-play-tv-box-android9-0-allwinner-h6-2gb-16gb-2-4g-wifi-usb3-0-1574132797603._w500_.jpg