Single Armbian image for RK + AML + AW (aarch64 ARMv8)

balbes150

I can't assemble an analog on my own
Armbian_20.08.0_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.7.0-rc7_desktop_20200531.img.

I do:

git clone https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian

cd Build-Armbian

git log

commit 9ad2f024ab8138b1617e731c9a643fda6ef1ef18

Author: balbes150 <balbes-150@yandex.ru>

Date: Sun May 31 11:02:21 2020 +0300

v20200529

Kind of closest by build date Sun May 31

Switching to this version:
git checkout 9ad2f024ab8138b1617e731c9a643fda6ef1ef18

Build:

./compile.sh BOARD = arm-64 BRANCH = current KERNEL_ONLY = no KERNEL_CONFIGURE = no RELEASE = bionic BUILD_DESKTOP = yes

But I don't get an analog
Armbian_20.05.5_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.7.16_desktop

And most importantly, bluetooth does not work in it, but it does work in the original assembly!
What am I doing wrong?

On 9/16/2020 at 10:53 PM, Vasy said:

Bad bump, this is a dedicated Armbian forum and not a general Linux support. Google is your friend, trust your feelings and fare well :)

Well, first of all, I'm trying to get this working on just Armbian, second; I have tried ALL the recepies I could find on Google and none of them work so I'm pretty desperate.... ;)

when I try to compile natively in a root ssh shell I get the following error:

"

[ o.k. ] Create example config file using template [ config-default.conf ]

ln: failed to create symbolic link '/media/root/Seagate/armbianbuild/Build-Armbian/userpatches/config-default.conf': Operation not permitted

"

12 minutes ago, Bozza said:

Operation not permitted

"

Is the disk under /media/root/Seagate NTFS? It needs to be Linux ext3/4 etc and make sure
/media/root/Seagate/armbianbuild has chmod a+rwx to rule out any permissions issues.

If I was encountering issues I could not fix, I'd use strace -f -o /tmp/trace-build.txt ./compile.sh and examine

/tmp/trace build.txt at the end.

It is an exfat drive, which I have now found out that it doesn't support symlinks.

Without formatting to ext is there a way to use simulated symlinks instead? Perhaps hard links?

Edit: I am just going to use the SD card or eMMC :)

13 minutes ago, Bozza said:

It is an exfat drive, which I have now found out that it doesn't support symlinks.

Without formatting to exfat is there a way to use simulated symlinks instead? Perhaps hard links?

If it was NTFS (and not a FAT derivation that has a size limit of about 4Gb file size), I would suggest creating an empty file about 20Gb in size with dd if=/dev/zero of=./20gb_filesystem.img.ext4 bs=4k iflag=fullblock,count_bytes count=20G . Format the file with  mkfs.ext4 ./20gb_filesystem.img.ext4 and mount with mount ./20gb_filesystem.img.ext4 /mnt which will give you a linux filesystem in a file.

Hello, I'm new in this forum and I'm trying to install on eMMC of my x96mini a distro of armbian. First of all I would thank a lot all the supporters of this project.

I've read almostall the posts and learnt that @Turgus has very much experience on this device (x96mini), and also that many problems are always behind the corner. So I would ask him/her if can be so kind to give me some tips.

My problem is that I couldn't find any working .dbm file for this device and so it doesn't start up with micro SD. Maybe I wrongly do the procedure, anyway I'm trying with the toothpick reset procedure indicated by @balbes150 however it doesn't start up.

Thanks

Hi @fergian94,

to run/install armbian on the x96mini is not that difficult:

after burning the image onto card you have to edit extlinux.conf to point to  /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905w-p281.dtb (added my extlinux.conf). Also you need to rename u-boot-s905x-s912 to u-boot.ext

then you plug in ethernet cable (or USB-WIFI) to have network(built in wifi doesn't work on +90% of devices..)

and keyboard (and sure the prepared card) to start via toothpick-method or via update-tool in android.

Once started from card everything should work as expected and if you configured/installed/localized all stuff you want/need, you could burn it on eMMC via

sudo /root/install-aml.sh

If you get problems to start from card and got android 9.x on the device, try burning(via card or via cable) android 7 version as startpoint.. You will find one linked for example here: https://www.getdroidtips.com/stock-firmware-x96-mini-tv-box/

extlinux.conf.x96mini

Added the u-boot-2020.0-rc4 version (dir 20200924) for Renegade Elite to the site, which fixes the HDMI sound for this model. Updated images 20200924 with sound correction for Renegade Elite (also added LE images for this model).

@balbes150

I've tried bullseye and buster desktop image from 20200921 directory. My monitor have green horizontal line at the most left of the monitor (somebody said that that begin at version 20.07 too).  And these image doesn't have usblp kernel modules. I need that, using it for printer server. Thanks!

@balbes150

I am hoping you can help me out with this, I have a H96 Pro 2/16 (cz-s32-v2.2) s912 , and I think the EMMC died , I tried USB_Burning_tool to restore the stock image and it failed at formating , when I plug it into the tv I get no amlogic logo and no hdmi signal, however if I boot using the sdcard upgrade method (upgrade.img and uboot) (only in the tf reader) it shows the little robot with upgrading, but it quickly fails withing a few seconds....so yeah I think emmc is shot.

But since this can boot off the tfreader slot I was hoping to use armbian, I tried everything I can think of I renamed the uboot-s912 to uboot.ext tried a few dtbs but I don't get any hdmi signal or boot screen holding down the reset pin, can this boot off the tf reader? 

4 minutes ago, krachlatte said:

anyone can let me know on how to get this runing on the beeling gs1 with h6 allwinner soc?

To do this, you need a working u-boot for this model.

3 minutes ago, odin said:

I am hoping you can help me out with this, I have a H96 Pro 2/16 (cz-s32-v2.2) s912 , and I think the EMMC died , I tried USB_Burning_tool to restore the stock image and it failed at formating , when I plug it into the tv I get no amlogic logo and no hdmi signal, however if I boot using the sdcard upgrade method (upgrade.img and uboot) (only in the tf reader) it shows the little robot with upgrading, but it quickly fails withing a few seconds....so yeah I think emmc is shot.

But since this can boot off the tfreader slot I was hoping to use armbian, I tried everything I can think of I renamed the uboot-s912 to uboot.ext tried a few dtbs but I don't get any hdmi signal or boot screen holding down the reset pin, can this boot off the tf reader? 

There are only two launch options for AML. 1. using the standard u-boot from eMMC, which added universal multi-boot. 2. completely remove the u-boot in eMMC and try to use an external u-boot from the SD card.

29 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

There are only two launch options for AML. 1. using the standard u-boot from eMMC, which added universal multi-boot. 2. completely remove the u-boot in eMMC and try to use an external u-boot from the SD card.

how can i provide/build this ? as far as i can see there are dts files available in latest kerne and uboot

52 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Thanks, though I am completely lost, I can boot external twrp from a sdcard in the tf-slot (well freezes but trys to boot) and the upgrade program, does armbian only boot from usb slots or can it boot from the tf card reader slot too? since that's what I am trying to do, I don't know how to erase the emmc, I tried bot windows and linux burn tools and completely fails writing partitions.

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

Your Tanix TX6 uboot worked with my weird "H10 play" H6 box, even installed and booted from eMMC. However, only 3 out of 4 GBytes of RAM are detected. I've added the "mem=4096M" parameter for kernel, does not seem to help. Is it a kernel or an u-boot problem?

Are these u-boot files updated somewhere so I can check for a newer one?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Vasy said:

Your Tanix TX6 uboot worked with my weird "H10 play" H6 box, even installed and booted from eMMC. However, only 3 out of 4 GBytes of RAM are detected. I've added the "mem=4096M" parameter for kernel, does not seem to help. Is it a kernel or an u-boot problem?

Are these u-boot files updated somewhere so I can check for a newer one?

Thanks!

H6 IIRC supporty only 3GB of ram. Any box that has more is basically scam.

46 minutes ago, krachlatte said:

how can i provide/build this ? as far as i can see there are dts files available in latest kerne and uboot

Look on the Yandex share in the first post, familiarize yourself with the structure in there and also the instructions in the first post. You need to download both the xz file that you need, plus the TX6 uboot, I used the one from July. I used balenaEtcher to write the xz to the sdcard, then again  balenaEtcher just for the uboot (since it places it in the boot area of the card). Then it booted on my Allwinner H6 box. Without writing the uboot on the card, it didn't work. The instructions do not emphasize this too much and I expected that I place uboot as a file in the boot folder (as for Amlogic for example). 

6 minutes ago, Werner said:

H6 IIRC supporty only 3GB of ram. Any box that has more is basically scam.

Wow this sounds bad. With the original Android, using a terminal I got the full amount of RAM when running the "free" command.

4 minutes ago, Vasy said:

Wow this sounds bad. With the original Android, using a terminal I got the full amount of RAM when running the "free" command.

Maybe I was misinformed. Anyway there are no common SBCs out there that featuring more than 3GB of memory with the H6 SoC on board.

Or their Android images sharing some proprietary blobs or other weird mambo jambo (PXE like?) to make it work :lol:

7 minutes ago, Werner said:

Maybe I was misinformed. Anyway there are no common SBCs out there that featuring more than 3GB of memory with the H6 SoC on board.

Or their Android images sharing some proprietary blobs or other weird mambo jambo (PXE like?) to make it work :lol:

The box itself is a weird no-name, but Antutu etc checked all specs as fine :(

44 minutes ago, krachlatte said:

The simplest thing is to try to take a working u-boot from any working Armbian image (for details on how to pull out u-boot and use it in another image, see this topic earlier).

21 minutes ago, odin said:

Thanks, though I am completely lost, I can boot external twrp from a sdcard in the tf-slot (well freezes but trys to boot) and the upgrade program, does armbian only boot from usb slots or can it boot from the tf card reader slot too? since that's what I am trying to do, I don't know how to erase the emmc, I tried bot windows and linux burn tools and completely fails writing partitions.

Starting from USB is possible, but with the described two options. I think the TWRP startup comes from u-boot which is in eMMC (in service mode).

To completely clean eMMC, you can use the USB Burn Tool (with certain options, the firmware file is not needed).

11 minutes ago, Vasy said:

I got the full amount of RAM when running the "free" command.

This is cheating. H6 can't work with 4 GB , this is a hardware limitation. See the topic in the section Allwinner H6, where the developers describe this problem.

OK, I will try a shorter post this time. I have got Armbian 20.09 (buster_current_5.8.10) up and running on the Ugoos Am6 plus (the newer version with s922xj SoC) using the supplied dtb for Am6. Everything seems to work fine (ethernet, usb, graphics, sound, video playback (see below) and Bluetooth) except wifi. The clock speed cannot be set (in arbian-config) above 1992MHz however, and I have a similar problem with the picture (thin colored vertical lines at the borders of the display) as tonny above. 

dmesg_UgoosAm6plus_Android_edit.txt.gz

dmesg_UgoosAm6plus_Armbian_20.09_5.8.10-arm-64.txt.gz

Edit: There also seems to be an issue with initialization of the ethernet chip; sometimes it starts in "happy" mode and sometimes in "grumpy" mode. In grumpy mode there is about 20% packet loss and speed is much lower. In happy mode it works flawlessly for days. Cold boot sometimes works to transfer from grumpy to happy, but not always. Perhaps the problem is related to this https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/11800917/ 

Edited by tripole
Clarify an intermittent problem with ethernet.

Good afternoon, I have been trying to find a solution without success and am hoping someone can assist. I have installed armbian on an x96 s905x box with the proper uboot and the .dtb built for the 905x and have installed to emmc. Everything works great except my wifi. On pervious builds modprobe wifi_dummy solved this but with current build it appears to no longer be available. I attempted to build a driver but keep getting make error 2. Any assistance would be a huge help. Thanks

@balbes150

sorry to bother you again, I tried all methods, the internal memory emmc chip is dead/fried, as far as I can tell the rest of the hardware still works, and it boots up in service mode like you said, but I was only able to get sdcard twrp img and the upgrade sdcard to boot (using Burn_Card_Maker), so is it possible to boot armbian from service mode similar to how the others work?, the internal emmc seems to be completely fried., the usb ports don't activate unless booting from the upgrade or twrp img, so it might have to boot through the tf-slot , then to the usb port if possible

if you could provide me detailed info on how to do it I would really appreciate it (either linux or windows). thanks

19 hours ago, balbes150 said:

This is cheating. H6 can't work with 4 GB , this is a hardware limitation. See the topic in the section Allwinner H6, where the developers describe this problem.

Thanks once again, I will research there. Have a great weekend and happy cooking new releases :)