Single Armbian image for RK + AML + AW (aarch64 ARMv8)

balbes150

10 hours ago, hexdump said:

not sure if it is related, but i once had a tv box where the android on it changed the permissions and ownership to world readable etc. on all attached filesystems when it booted and as such also completely trashed the linux on the sd card - this was absolutely reproducible on that box ...

And the second option causes this problem. Crappy media or card reader on the device. This has been discussed many times.

53 minutes ago, mirko said:

where i can find linux-headers-5.9.0-rc8-arm-64 ?

The 5.9 kernel is in the testing state, and the DEB will only be available after verification. Use a system with the 5.8 kernel.

22 hours ago, balbes150 said:

And the second option causes this problem. Crappy media or card reader on the device. This has been discussed many times.

And I believe that was the issue here as well. Thanks I had not found the discussion. 

Nevertheless, I do think there are some (minor) issues with the image.

- WiFi is loosing connection / working slow or not at all.  (not really an issue for me as I will be using Ethernet)

- I did notice the green link led does not lit. Although it is connected. (and working) 

Running Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_focal_current_5.9.0-rc8_desktop.img on my X92. Enable RDP in armbian-config does not work. Followed all the steps in this post https://forum.armbian.com/topic/13740-how-to-enable-rdp-xrdp-with-armbian-so-you-can-login-from-a-windows-pc/. XOrg screen opens and accepts login but after that the screen is garbled and no usable screen. Any fix? 

Follow-up on Ugoos Am6 plus (s922xj). Now I have also got WiFi working (with image 20.09, kernel 5.8.10). It turns out that the clock frequency for SDIO was too high, and it manifested itself via an error "mmc0: error -84 whilst initialising SDIO card" in dmesg. Inspired by  I tried to edit the max-frequency setting in the dts/dtb file (meson-g12b-ugoos-am6). In the sd@ffe03000 { ...} clause changed the original entry

max-frequency = < 0x5f5e100 >;

to

max-frequency = < 0x17d7840 >;

(i.e. lowering the frequency from 100MHz to 25MHz), and this worked. The wifi chip brcm4359 (AP6398s package) is then detected at boot and the brcmfmac driver/module loads. (It gives a few error messages about missing firmware (despite having installed armbian-firmware-full) but these messages seem harmless, see e.g. here and here.) I haven't tested the connection extensively, but both 2.4GHz and 5GHz seem to work fine. As a final note; there still seem to be some kind of initialization issue with the box so that it often requires a cold boot for everything to work (i.e. pull power plug, wait and then keep power button pressed during start).

Edit1: The SDIO interface on both the s922x and the AP6398S module support SD spec. version 2.x/3.x/4.x DS/HS modes up to UHS-I SDR104 (using clock freqs. 25,50,100 and 208MHz). Therefore, I expected that setting the max-frequency parameter above to at least one of the higher clocks would work but, alas, I can only get the lowest 25MHz clock to work. (In /sys/kernel/debug/mmc0/ios the timing spec. is then listed as "sd high-speed").

Edit2: I have now found one more SDIO clock frequency that works; 0x2b594d1 (45.454545MHz). (Such odd numbers are perhaps not surprising given Amlogic's history.)

Hi,

I am unable to see boot splash logo on device startup with recent builds (5.9.rc#) which was working earlier.

The build shows option to include boot splash which is related to frame buffer settings. However including this option does not show boot logo.

Are there any signification changes in this area?

-R

Hello, I just install Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_bullseye_current_5.9.0-rc8.img on my Vega S95 pro.

Everything works fine, but when I tried to install on the emmc I get Blank screen and no boot.
On UART the VEGA s95 is stuck on a loop with "EMMC:0;READ:0;CHK:17A;SD:0;READ:0;CHK:F3;USB:8"

If I restart with the SDcard, same thing and I must use Usb-burning-tool to restore the S905

I use the meson-gxbb-vega-s95-pro dtb file.
I tried install-aml and install-aml-s905 but each time I got the same result.
I tried different Sdcard with the same result.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by bb27k

On 10/11/2020 at 10:06 PM, bb27k said:

On UART the VEGA s95 is stuck on a loop with "EMMC:0;READ:0;CHK:17A;SD:0;READ:0;CHK:F3;USB:8"

If I restart with the SDcard, same thing and I must use Usb-burning-tool to restore the S905

Ok, the problem was a too old firmware version use with USB Burning tool.

Now with the properly version I don't have any boot loop but the tronsmart stuck at "Starting application at 0x01000000" when I try to boot from the emmc.

Hi!
After a power failure, the discs will not remount. But after a reboot, it works without any problems.
S905x2 tv box and Debian GNU / Linux 10 (buster) with Linux 5.9.0-rc6-arm-64 without desk.
Is this problem known?

Is anyone else experiencing a problem with the image where they're getting a green and pink vertical line on the left and right edges of the display? On some displays these lines are very visible. On others not so much. 

On 9/27/2020 at 3:25 PM, Turgus said:

..crazy world, okay-then you have to use s912 files as you did..I think the problem is that you used other systems which use other bootloader(then uboot is messed up for the mechanisms used with these armbian builds). Try starting with fresh android install (preferably nougat rom as it brings the best startpoint for armbian attempts..) to get un-tweaked bootloader..

Solution to the error.
First, thank you all very much for supporting me on my topic, I finally got the original firmware for my TV Box (TX3 mini - A, SoC S912, 2GB RAM, 16GB internal storage) I share the link in case someone is helpful.

https://mega.nz/folder/gEtwlDRb#juXoAsfz1wKDG96p7a9htA

I already managed to start Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_focal_current_5.9.0_desktop with meson-gxm-q20.dtb and it is the only one that worked for me, the ethernet connection, the WiFi and Bluetooth does not work for me.

12 minutes ago, ryuchaing said:

I already managed to start Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_focal_current_5.9.0_desktop with meson-gxm-q20.dtb and it is the only one that worked for me, the ethernet connection, the WiFi and Bluetooth does not work for me.

The tv box name (TX3 mini) like a lot of boxes has little relation to the hardware inside.
Try this forum post - seems to have worked for quite a few different boxes having wifi issues.

On 7/28/2020 at 10:58 PM, winit_a said:

dmesg -w

Jul 28 02:36:10 localhost kernel: [    9.188333] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio for chip BCM4330/4
Jul 28 02:36:10 localhost kernel: [    9.188464] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_process_clm_blob: no clm_blob available (err=-2), device may have limited channels available
Jul 28 02:36:10 localhost kernel: [    9.192378] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware: BCM4330/4 wl0: Oct 25 2011 19:34:12 version 5.90.125.104

try

mv /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt.old
ln -s  /lib/firmware/brcm/nvram_ap6330.txt  /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt

it work  

thank you.

Hi, i tried and it works, thanks.

But i think its not stable, internet speed is slow, just around 50-100KB/s, in android its 1200KB/s

Btw, i did not see nvram_ap6330.txt in armbian, so i copied that file from android, is that ok?

11 hours ago, ndthuan95 said:

Hi, i tried and it works, thanks.

But i think its not stable, internet speed is slow, just around 50-100KB/s, in android its 1200KB/s

Btw, i did not see nvram_ap6330.txt in armbian, so i copied that file from android, is that ok?

Looks like the nvram file is now brcmfmac-ap6330-sdio.txt in focal Ubuntu package armbian-firmware
according to apt-file search brcmfmac-ap6330-sdio.txt .
There are various versions of brcmfmac4330-sdio.bin (and others with different file names) so experiment with different ones to see which is best. I don't know if the ones in packages armbian-firmware, armbian-firmware-ful & linux-firmware are identical.
You will probably find a few different ones in under android /etc/wifi which you could try - you'll have to rename etc the binary file to brcmfmac4330-sdio.bin. See also this previous post.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:26 PM, balbes150 said:

Ver 20201014 kernel 5.9

Pay attention. This is the latest version of ArmbianTV images, where there are files for AML. The following images will not contain this data.

First a big thank you to balbes150 for his excellent work.

I have been running Debian Bullseye on an X96 Max (S905X2) for several months and it has proved very stable.

It boots from an SSD in an external USB3 enclosure.

Kernel updates up to 5.7.16 have gone smoothly.

Unfortunately today an "apt upgrade" seems to have attempted to install the 5.9.0 kernel and the box no longer reboots.

There is nothing on the display and I can no longer ssh into the box.

However, rather surprisingly to me, the front panel display counts up the minutes.

I haven't tried to debug the problem.

Does anyone have the same problem or, even better, a solution?

TIA

39 минут назад, segv сказал:

Unfortunately today an "apt upgrade" seems to have attempted to install the 5.9.0 kernel and the box no longer reboots.

What settings are set ? What media is used ?

the exact image version, TV box model, detailed steps that were performed for DTB settings,

My TV box is Phicomm N1, and I tried the "Armbian_20.10_Arm-64_bullseye_current_5.9.0_desktop.img.xz" image, followed the instraction,  edited extlinux.conf to

LABEL Armbian
LINUX /zImage
INITRD /uInitrd
FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-gxl-s905d-phicomm-n1.dtb
APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

and renamed u-boot-s905x-s922 to u-boot.ext,  the TV box can boot,  but cannot bootfrom the u-key,  what should I do?

Look forward to your favourable reply.

11 hours ago, balbes150 said:

What settings are set ? What media is used ?

As I wrote 

12 hours ago, segv said:

I have been running Debian Bullseye on an X96 Max (S905X2) for several months and it has proved very stable.

It boots from an SSD in an external USB3 enclosure.

Kernel updates up to 5.7.16 have gone smoothly.

There is nothing on the display and I can no longer ssh into the box.

Concerning the media: to be more complete the SSD is a QMOX 240 GB and the enclosure is a Sabrent EC-UASP and, as I implied, it is running on the USB3 port.

Concerning the settings: nothing concerning the boot process has changed (except for automatic modifications by "apt upgrade") since I installed Armbian Bullseye on the 16th of May with the appropriate DTB for my box.

It had been running perfectly for five months and I have previously had "apt upgrade" kernel updates without problems.

I agree with mcb777 that it was the latest linux-image-current-arm-64 package with kernel 5.9.0 which broke it.

Looking at the contents of the BOOT partition it seems that much has been changed not only by this "apt upgrade" but also by previous ones.

I don't want to reinstall everything so I shall try to fix the BOOT partition and if this fails I shall try overwriting it with the BOOT partition from a recent version.

However any pointers to the likely cause would be most welcome ;-)

I am convinced that there is a real problem with this deb package which must be corrected :-(

10 hours ago, balbes150 said:

You didn't specify this "little thing", but it fundamentally changes the behavior of the entire startup system.

I just uncommented the line with meson-g12a-x96-max-no-cvbs.dtb in the example uEnv.txt file.

I chose this because it was already present and it matches my needs: I have an X96 Max and I want HDMI not CVBS.

Unfortunately this dtb is no longer present in the dtb directory which probably explains the failure.

I changed to meson-g12a-x96-max.dtb and it now at least tries to boot.

Unfortunately it now says "LABEL=ROOTFS does not exist" :-(

I don't see why it would have disappeared but I shall try to debug this tomorrow.

Edit: The label does exist.

I am wondering whether USB is broken in 5.9.0 as I had a similar symptom a long time ago before USB was operational.

Or maybe there is just a missing module.

Edited by segv
Further testing

12 minutes ago, segv said:

Unfortunately it now says "LABEL=ROOTFS does not exist" :-(

I don't see why it would have disappeared but I shall try to debug this tomorrow.

You may have seen some other messages skipping past at boot complaining about mmcblk meaning the dbt/kernel is not recognising the sdcard or its controller. In single user mode, busybox blkid and cat /proc/partitions may show them missing.

Edited by dbsharpe
typo

On 10/15/2020 at 3:11 PM, dbsharpe said:

The tv box name (TX3 mini) like a lot of boxes has little relation to the hardware inside.
Try this forum post - seems to have worked for quite a few different boxes having wifi issues.

Thanks dbsharpe, following the link you mentioned, they talk about generating a symbolic link to the device's "driver" so that it works and effectively when making the change it works excellent.

The command I used was the following:

sudo mv /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt.old

sudo ln -s /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac-ap6330-sdio.txt /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac4330-sdio.txt

Now I just need to see how to install everything in the emmc.

Thank you balbes150, mcb777 and dbsharpe for your help.

Short version:

My X96 Max is now happily running the 5.9.0 kernel.

Long version:

I still had the SD card that I used for my initial Armbian tests.

It had Armbian_20.05.4_Arm-64_bullseye_current_5.7.0-rc5_20200516.img

I changed the dtb in uEnv.txt from meson-g12a-x96-max-no-cvbs.dtb (which no longer exists) to meson-g12a-x96-max.dtb

I booted the SD card and did an apt update/upgrade directly from kernel 5.7.0-rc5 to 5.9.0

It rebooted fine.

I then did a dd of the BOOT partition from the SD card to my SSD.

My box then rebooted correctly from the SSD.

Conclusion:

The main problem was that the dtb in the old example uEnv.txt is no longer included in the new dtb directory.