Single Armbian image for RK + AML + AW (aarch64 ARMv8)

balbes150

9 hours ago, Nofan Tasi said:

Sorry to ask: which network repository do you mean, perhaps: http://apt.armbian.com ?

Can I change a recent installation to fetch kernel automatic? 

Yes, the new package is sent to this repo. When it is there, when the update command (apt upgrade) is executed, the new kernel should automatically update.

2 hours ago, legogris said:

Have you, or do you have any plans to release the source (/config/resources and docs necessary to rebuild) for your images?

It would be a game-changer if we could do reproducible builds, or at least compile ourselves.

All sources with documents are regularly updated in my GIT (Build-Armbian).

Version 20200404 with a 5.6-rc7 core. In this version, the sound is turned on automatically when you first start (you don't need to do anything manually). Please note that the algorithm for processing audio activation in the new core has changed. If you update the kernel as a separate file in previous versions to the latest version, the sound will stop working. For those who are updating the kernel, additional manual configuration and configuration for audio is required to enable audio.

5 hours ago, balbes150 said:

Yes, the new package is sent to this repo. When it is there, when the update command (apt upgrade) is executed, the new kernel should automatically update.

cool

I have installed Armbian_20.05.0_Arm-64_focal_current_5.6.0-rc6_20200326.img (on my spot-i7-pro, you know which one :-))

it has kernel version 5.6.0-rc6.

If I do:

root@spot-i7-pro:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  linux-image-current-arm-64
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 28.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 4,512 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
apt-get download linux-image-current-arm-64
ar x linux-image-current-arm-64_20.05.0_arm64.deb
tar Jtvf data.tar.xz

I see kernel version 5.6.0-rc4 ...

root@spot-i7-pro:~# tar Jtvf data.tar.xz | grep /boot/vmlinuz
-rw-r--r-- root/root  27795968 2020-03-03 14:58 ./boot/vmlinuz-5.6.0-rc4-arm-64

this is an older version ...

also, will installing linux-image-current-arm-64 automatically update zImage and uInitrd in /boot ?

14 minutes ago, Nofan Tasi said:

this is an older version ...

also, will installing linux-image-current-arm-64 automatically update zImage and uInitrd in /boot ?

Perhaps this is a feature of publishing new files in the Armbian repository (now there is a huge load on resources and there may be failures).

Yes, the update should take place automatically (I fixed the packages for this).

P.S. Do not rush, a new version 5.6-rc7 is coming soon.  I plan to send it to the Armbian network repo (I have already uploaded some deb files to my site along with the new version of images).  :)

On 4/3/2020 at 11:13 AM, balbes150 said:

You could not immediately write that your firmware has changed ? I spent a lot of time on unnecessary checks. The new firmware is a different u-boot that is not known to work. Without output from the UART console, I can't help you in any way.

Hi @balbes150... I am very sorry for making you waste time ... I have been updating Android a few months ago, but being the stock firmware I never thought it could create problems.... I apologize again. I have no idea how to get a UART output ... if I try to go back to the previous firmware would I fix it?

Thank you very much for your effort,

Beppe.

33 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

P.S. Do not rush, a new version 5.6-rc7 is coming soon.  I plan to send it to the Armbian network repo (I have already uploaded some deb files to my site along with the new version of images).  :)

Shouldn't the kernel version be part of the package name for proper versioning of new kernel builds?  I see that you have moved the 20200404 build to armbian version number 20.05.1 (I am assuming this was to allow for proper versioning of the .deb files).  Also, are you planning on releasing regular arm-64-current, arm-64-dev, aml-s9xxx-current, aml-s9xxx-dev, rk and alwinner kernels?  (I am assuming that you are not :-) as there are only 24 hours in a day).  Do you need any help with this?  The reason I am asking is that I am looking for stable kernel upgrades for the servers I have running on my tv boxes.  I am currently building them weekly as new mainline kernels are released.  I have just started looking into your deb packaging patches and would like to help if there is something that I can contribute.

11 minutes ago, Beppe said:

I have no idea how to get a UART output ... if I try to go back to the previous firmware would I fix it?

The UART console does not depend on firmware. This is a special additional hardware USB-UART, for connecting to another device, details are easy to find by the keyword "UART console". The UART console allows you to get detailed data about the startup process and is needed when something is not working ( in your case, to analyze what is causing the problem in the new firmware 9). But if you go back to the previous firmware, everything should work again without the UART console.

13 minutes ago, SteeMan said:

Shouldn't the kernel version be part of the package name for proper versioning of new kernel builds?  I see that you have moved the 20200404 build to armbian version number 20.05.1 (I am assuming this was to allow for proper versioning of the .deb files). 

Yes, I was forced to change the version so that the system would not be confused when analyzing (the semantics of analysis is a larger version, so it is a newer kernel, if there are two packages with the same name, it takes the first one).

21 minutes ago, SteeMan said:

Also, are you planning on releasing regular arm-64-current, arm-64-dev, aml-s9xxx-current, aml-s9xxx-dev, rk and alwinner kernels? 

arm-64-current aml-s9xxx-current ... rk and alwinner  This is the same core.

The DEV version is "clean" NEXT kernel from GIT Linux (without additional patches). It changes very quickly and there is no point in releasing it as a separate package (I only collect them as part of the image for quick testing of new features).

31 minutes ago, SteeMan said:

I am currently building them weekly as new mainline kernels are released.  I have just started looking into your deb packaging patches and would like to help if there is something that I can contribute.

Support for network repositories is handled by @Igor, so it is better to ask him this question. As far as I know, this requires a lot of space to place and time to keep up to date.

19 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

packaging patches and would like to help if there is something that I can contribute.

https://github.com/The-going/armbian-build/commits/packaging

53 minutes ago, SteeMan said:

armbian version number 20.05.1

20.05.y = master branch (not for official Armbian releases)
20.02.y = stable releases

y goes up when some kernel or just some application needs an upgrade. We will not update all armbian code in case there is a small change in armbian-config or a bugfix in one kernel family. Only those packages are updated.

Version is the smallest problem we have to keep those two branches synchronised.

Hello there.

i have used all the currently available armbian images in my tanix tx3 mini-a box. But i cannot get rid of this white band at the top of the screen as shown in this picture with an always blinking terminal cursor at the top left corner.  i am using Armbian_20.05.1_Arm-64_focal_current_5.6.0-rc7_desktop_20200404.img.xz now with a Dell d1918h monitor at 1366x768 resolution. 

Another point to be noted that the monitor has both HDMI and VGA ports and when i connect through the HDMI, the "Auto Image Adjustment" button of the monitor turns Disabled. 

can anyone help me here please? I have been trying to solve this for a long time now but in vain. Thanks in advance.

Here is what I found:

Armbian_20.05.1_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.6.0-rc7_desktop_20200404 has the color problem.

Armbian_20.05.0_Arm-64_bionic_legacy_5.6.0-rc7_desktop_20200324 color ok.

If I substitute zImage & uInitrd from 20200324 to 20200404 color is fixed. 

19 hours ago, balbes150 said:

The UART console does not depend on firmware. This is a special additional hardware USB-UART, for connecting to another device, details are easy to find by the keyword "UART console". The UART console allows you to get detailed data about the startup process and is needed when something is not working ( in your case, to analyze what is causing the problem in the new firmware 9). But if you go back to the previous firmware, everything should work again without the UART console.

Hi @balbes150,

so I went back to Android 8.1 stock, I didn't have much time to try in depth but I managed to boot correctly (from SD) with your version of LE, to be precise this image:

LibreELEC-ARM-ALL.arm-9.80-devel-20200331100230-569f834-nanopi-k2

that I downloaded from here: https://yadi.sk/d/8vNYuuxynz1L0w/20200331/rk%2Baw%2Baml

How would you advise me to proceed now to install Armbian?

Thank you very much!
Beppe.

55 minutes ago, Beppe said:

to be precise this image:

LibreELEC-ARM-ALL.arm-9.80-devel-20200331100230-569f834-nanopi-k2

Are you sure this is the image you used ?

56 minutes ago, Beppe said:

How would you advise me to proceed now to install Armbian?

Do you want to run Armbian from an SD card or install Armbian in eMMC ?

hello, i have a tv box hk1 max rk3328 4/32 gb, i don't understand much about how to do this, but i wanted to install Armbian on it and i would like someone to help me, which file should i download and how do i install to run in the memory of tv box and not on sd card, thanks in advance, sorry for the english, i'm using google translator lol

Screenshot_20200405-134241_UC Browser.jpg

Hello!!! I nuked my perfectly functional X96 box running a previous version of Armbian when trying to flash the latest version. To be honest, I did it on purpose out of boredom. I followed all the necessary steps as instructed. The box booted fine from SD card. But after installing to emmc, the box won't boot anymore. It even won't show the boot image. It shows up at Amlogic USB burning tool though. But the tool won't import any Armbian images giving an error saying "Purse burning image fail". Can any kind soul can direct me to the right way. Thanks in advance. Stay safe.

Edited by Manzoor E Elahi

On 4/3/2020 at 8:30 AM, balbes150 said:

Version 20200403.

Fixed automatic fetching of the kernel from the network repository.

I did some testing of this new feature and it seems to work well.  I installed the above version.  Then I pulled your source from github, bumped the version number to 20.05.2 built the .deb files and then did a local update to the new deb files and the update was successful.  Thank you for your continued work on this project.

15 hours ago, Beppe said:

yes, i'm sure... double checked.

I checked it on two rk3328 models. Indeed, even without the correct u-boot on the SD card, the system starts from the SD card. But I have my modified u-boot in eMMC of both models (with support for launching from USB media). Question to all owners of rk3328 \ rk3399 (especially I am interested in those who have Android in eMMC), please check the launch of the Libreelec image for nanopi-k2 from the SD card (after recording the image, you only need to configure DTB,   other we do not change).

15 hours ago, Beppe said:

I wish to install into eMMC

To install to eMMC, it is sufficient to run the installation script (sudo install-rk3328.sh). But before starting, make sure to create a full backup (compressed). Launch the utility (sudo ddbr) and follow the prompts (press the appropriate keys and confirm with Enter).

19 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

To install to eMMC, it is sufficient to run the installation script (sudo install-rk3328.sh). But before starting, make sure to create a full backup (compressed). Launch the utility (sudo ddbr) and follow the prompts (press the appropriate keys and confirm with Enter).

Hi @balbes150!
I understand, but I only managed to boot from that LE I told you about, but I can't boot from Armbian to be able to install it. I need to understand how to boot Armbian.
Thank you!
Beppe

git clone https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian

cd Build-Armbian

./compile.sh

Excuse me, when I tried to compile for an ubuntu bonic image of 5.60 rc-6, I got the following error message:

scripts/Makefile.package:87: recipe for target 'intdeb-pkg' failed
Makefile:1417: recipe for target 'intdeb-pkg' failed
debian/rules:9: recipe for target 'binary-arch' failed
scripts/Makefile.package:82: recipe for target 'bindeb-pkg' failed
Makefile:1417: recipe for target 'bindeb-pkg' failed
mv: missing destination file operand after '/root/x/Build-Armbian/output/debs/'
Try 'mv --help' for more information.
[ error ] ERROR in function compile_kernel [ compilation.sh:431 ]
[ error ] Failed moving kernel DEBs 
[ o.k. ] Process terminated 

I checked compilation.log,and got 

== deb packages: image, headers, firmware, dtb ==

[1mdpkg-buildpackage: [0m[1;33mwarning[0m: using a gain-root-command while being root
[1;35m dpkg-source --before-build 5.6
[0m[1;35m debian/rules build
[0m[1;35m fakeroot -u debian/rules binary
[0m[1mdpkg-gencontrol: [0m[1;33mwarning[0m:     debian/changelog(l1): unrecognized line
LINE:  () bionic; urgency=low
[1mdpkg-gencontrol: [0m[1;33mwarning[0m: unknown information field '' in input data in parsed version of changelog
[1mdpkg-gencontrol: [0m[1;31merror[0m: invalid source version unknown
make[4]: *** [intdeb-pkg] Error 255
make[3]: *** [intdeb-pkg] Error 2
make[2]: *** [binary-arch] Error 2
[1mdpkg-buildpackage: [0m[1;31merror[0m: fakeroot -u debian/rules binary subprocess returned exit status 2
make[1]: *** [bindeb-pkg] Error 2
make: *** [bindeb-pkg] Error 2

It showed that the file debian/changlog was wrong.

nano ./cache/sources/linux-aml-current/5.6/debian/changelog

and got 

() bionic; urgency=low

* Custom built Linux kernel.

-- Oleg Ivanov <balbes-150@yandex.ru>  Tue, 07 Apr 2020 16:39:57 +0800

there was no version included in  debian/changlog , how could I solve this problem ?

By the way, complied for an ubuntu bonic image of 5.5.1 correct,  the file of 5.5.1's debian/changlog showed

linux-5.5.1-aml-s9xxx (20.05.0) bionic; urgency=low

* Custom built Linux kernel.

-- Oleg Ivanov <balbes-150@yandex.ru>  Tue, 24 Mar 2020 08:15:13 +0000

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

You didn't specify what you are collecting (the exact name of the goal you are getting).

The step of my compilation listed as following:

1.   ./compile.sh

2.   Full OS image for flashing

3.  Show a kernel .....

4.  aml-s9xxx

5.  current

6.  bionic

7.  .... (server)

8.  Standard image with console interface

5.6-rc6 get above error message.

but 5.5.1 compile successfully

On 3/30/2020 at 12:29 AM, thehotery said:

just installed Armbian_20.05.0_Arm-64_bullseye_current_5.6.0-rc6_20200326.img.xz on beelink gt-1 (amlogic s912) with FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-gxm-q200.dtb and.. all works! but until i'm trying to upgrade or some packages to upgrade some of system libs.. lan dont working (cable, wifi working). in dmesg  there's lines

[ 2590.051321] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: no phy at addr -1
[ 2590.051343] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: stmmac_open: Cannot attach to PHY (error: -19)

last thing before its became broken was upgrading: sudo apt-get install binutils (full log in spoiler

Hide contents

user@arm:~$  sudo apt-get install binutils
[sudo] password for hotery:
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 binutils : Depends: binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu (= 2.34-5) but 2.34-4 is to be installed
 binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu : Depends: binutils-common (= 2.34-4) but 2.34-5 is to be installed
                              Depends: libbinutils (= 2.34-4) but 2.34-5 is to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
user@arm:~$  apt-mark unhold binutuls-aarch64-linux-gnu
E: Unable to locate package binutuls-aarch64-linux-gnu
E: No packages found
user@arm:~$  apt-mark unhold binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu
dpkg: error: required read/write access to the dpkg database directory /var/lib/dpkg
E: Sub-process dpkg --set-selections returned an error code (2)
E: Executing dpkg failed. Are you root?
user@arm:~$  sudo apt-mark unhold binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu
Canceled hold on binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu.
user@arm:~$  sudo apt-get install binutils
Building dependency tree
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  libprocps7
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu binutils-common libbinutils libctf0
Suggested packages:
  binutils-doc
The following packages will be upgraded:
  binutils binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu binutils-common libbinutils libctf0
5 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 13 not upgraded.
Need to get 4,570 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian bullseye/main arm64 libctf0 arm64 2.34-5 [41.7 kB]
Get:2 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian bullseye/main arm64 binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu arm64 2.34-5 [1,936 kB]
Get:3 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian bullseye/main arm64 libbinutils arm64 2.34-5 [470 kB]
Get:4 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian bullseye/main arm64 binutils arm64 2.34-5 [59.0 kB]
Get:5 http://httpredir.debian.org/debian bullseye/main arm64 binutils-common arm64 2.34-5 [2,063 kB]
Fetched 4,570 kB in 10s (445 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 37614 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libctf0_2.34-5_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking libctf0:arm64 (2.34-5) over (2.34-4) ...
Preparing to unpack .../binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu_2.34-5_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu (2.34-5) over (2.34-4) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libbinutils_2.34-5_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking libbinutils:arm64 (2.34-5) over (2.34-4) ...
Preparing to unpack .../binutils_2.34-5_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking binutils (2.34-5) over (2.34-4) ...
Preparing to unpack .../binutils-common_2.34-5_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking binutils-common:arm64 (2.34-5) over (2.34-4) ...
Setting up binutils-common:arm64 (2.34-5) ...
Setting up libbinutils:arm64 (2.34-5) ...
Setting up libctf0:arm64 (2.34-5) ...
Setting up binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu (2.34-5) ...
Setting up binutils (2.34-5) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.29-10) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.1-1) ...

things like apt-cache showpkg libbinutils or sudo apt-get install binutils-aarch64-linux-gnu-2.34.4 gives nothing, and in http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/b/binutils/ no such version.  but maybe thats not a reason of broken lan.. please help to repair it..

I have a similar issue, also with beelink GT1 2Gb ram (S912): with Armbian_20.05.0_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.6.0-rc6_20200331.img, eth0 and wlan0 eventually started to work using dtb q200 (was NOT the case with previous RC6 img, was previously running an old 4.20 kernel img) BUT today I had a small power failure and on reboot, I started to loose eth0 support again, with following error in kern.log:

Apr  7 14:32:56 localhost kernel: [   11.076849] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: no phy at addr -1
Apr  7 14:32:56 localhost kernel: [   11.076859] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: stmmac_open: Cannot attach to PHY (error: -19)

NB: directly after installing rc6_20200331, I did an apt update + apt upgrade and all went fine (I did not upgrade the kernel), so in my case the problem with eth0 does not seem to be related to upgrading some packages.

Since this error started to appear just after a power failure, could this be linked to some corrupted file ? Any idea how I could restore  them ?