Single Armbian image for RK + AML + AW (aarch64 ARMv8)

balbes150

On 4/10/2020 at 9:12 AM, Binbin Qian said:

Hi there, I have a S905M device, I installed Armbian_20.05.1_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.6.0-rc7_20200404.img to eMMC with install-aml-s905.sh and it works well, but it can't boot from u-disk any more, even holding the reset button when booting, is it possible to boot from u-disk? This image looks like a server version, but why is it so big, 5.24GB? Thanks in advance.

OK, after hours of work I fixed the problem.

To boot from u-disk, edit /boot/uEnv.txt and change the partition label, for example, modify #APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOT_EMMC to #APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS

To reduce the image size, use resize2fs to shrink the file system, and use fdisk to change partition table, then the image file can be truncated from 5000MiB to 2.2GiB, which saves much space and time. It's very useful when you use a low-speed u-disk or less than 5000MiB.

Hi, everyone, this is my first post in this comunity. I mainly write to ask for information for my Wetek Play 2 box.

Through your guides I managed to install the version on this box Armbian_20.05.1_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.6.2_20200408.img.xz

I managed to get everything started without installing Armbian in the Emmc but booting from the SD, I noticed, however, also trying the desktop version, that Bluetooth (as well as WiFi but I don't care) are not working, is there the possibility to make the BT work on this box?

I would like to use this box primarily to run Home Assistant

6 hours ago, imrannaqvi83 said:

After writing u-boot to boot partition, i tried few dtbs and able to boot from only /dtb/allwinner/sun50i-h6-pine-h64-model-b.dtb but initial setup drops to shell with error "alert lable:rootfs doesnot exist"

I am not sure if i am using the correct versions of files, but only this combination boots at all.

armbian-image: Armbian_20.05.0_Arm-64_buster_current_5.6.0-rc6_20200403.img
u-boot:u-boot-allwinner-h6-tanix-tx6.img

uEnv.txt:

----------

LINUX=/zImage
INITRD=/uInitrd

# aw h6
FDT=/dtb/allwinner/sun50i-h6-pine-h64-model-b.dtb
APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

This means there is no dtb for your model, with the correct SD card settings. You can try the combined version of the launch. Write the Armbain image to a USB flash drive and configure DTB, and write the u-boot to an SD card. Connect the USB and SD card together to the TV box and check the startup.

2 hours ago, Binbin Qian said:

OK, after hours of work I fixed the problem.

To boot from u-disk, edit /boot/uEnv.txt and change the partition label, for example, modify #APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOT_EMMC to #APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS

To reduce the image size, use resize2fs to shrink the file system, and use fdisk to change partition table, then the image file can be truncated from 5000MiB to 2.2GiB, which saves much space and time. It's very useful when you use a low-speed u-disk or less than 5000MiB.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, you just need to carefully read the instructions and the forum.

On 4/8/2020 at 5:19 PM, Seb_Lz said:

Small update on my research to make the image work with Beelink GT1:
After trying a few things, I eventually decided to start again from scratch with Armbian_20.05.1_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.6.0-rc7_20200404.img.xz. After installing, same problem on clean install. I then tried to go back to 20200331 version, which was previously working. To my surprise, and despite using the exact same image (clean format using balenaEtcher), it was also not working anymore ! I thought about an hardware problem, but rebooting on android emmc system prove me wrong as ethernet was there working fine. I then flashed back the SD to 20200404 and used Q201 dtb file. The eth0 interface is recognized but there are still errors in kern.log and the interface is still faulty (can't get an IP from DHCP nor connect to it when set statically):

root@hassio:~# dmesg -T --level=err,warn
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:39 2020] KASLR disabled due to lack of seed
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:41 2020] OCFS2 User DLM kernel interface loaded
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:42 2020] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: IRQ eth_wake_irq not found
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:42 2020] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: IRQ eth_lpi not found
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:42 2020] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet: PTP uses main clock
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:42 2020] dwc3 c9000000.dwc3: Failed to get clk 'ref': -2
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:43 2020] phy phy-d0078080.phy.3: unsupported PHY mode 5
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:43 2020] hub 2-0:1.0: config failed, hub doesn't have any ports! (err -19)
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:43 2020] mmc2: queuing unknown CIS tuple 0x80 (2 bytes)
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:43 2020] mmc2: queuing unknown CIS tuple 0x80 (3 bytes)
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:43 2020] mmc2: queuing unknown CIS tuple 0x80 (3 bytes)
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:43 2020] mmc2: queuing unknown CIS tuple 0x80 (7 bytes)
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:47 2020] gx-sound-card sound: ASoC: no DMI vendor name!
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:47 2020] panfrost d00c0000.gpu: d00c0000.gpu supply mali not found, using dummy regulator
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:47 2020] panfrost d00c0000.gpu: GPU Fault 0x00000088 (UNKNOWN) at 0x000000fcffbfffc0
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:48 2020] meson_vdec: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:48 2020] hci_uart_bcm serial0-0: serial0-0 supply vbat not found, using dummy regulator
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:48 2020] hci_uart_bcm serial0-0: serial0-0 supply vddio not found, using dummy regulator
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:48 2020] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio for chip BCM4345/6
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:48 2020] brcmfmac mmc2:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.amlogic,q201.txt failed with error -2
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:48 2020] bluetooth hci1: Direct firmware load for brcm/BCM4345C0.hcd failed with error -2
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:49 2020] meson8b-dwmac c9410000.ethernet eth0: PTP not supported by HW
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:49 2020] ext4 filesystem being mounted at /var/log supports timestamps until 2038 (0x7fffffff)
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:50 2020] brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio for chip BCM4345/6
[Wed Apr  8 17:02:50 2020] brcmfmac: brcmf_c_preinit_dcmds: Firmware: BCM4345/6 wl0: Feb 27 2018 03:15:32 version 7.45.154 (r684107 CY) FWID 01-4fbe0b04
[Wed Apr  8 17:03:09 2020] process 'docker/tmp/qemu-check033460557/check' started with executable stack
[Wed Apr  8 17:03:12 2020] overlayfs: NFS export requires "index=on", falling back to nfs_export=off.

I've extracted the dtb file from the working Android system and from the 20200404 img and converted them to dts file. I tried to adapt some values in the ethernet@c9410000 {...} part to mimic what is in the android part, but this didn't help (in some cases, it created more errors). I'm really confused how as how to make progress on this, any kind of help would be very welcome :D (dts files in attachments).

android-q201.dts 47.95 kB · 2 downloads meson-gxm-q201.dts 35.17 kB · 2 downloads

As I was still searching for a solution to get eth0 working on beelink gt1, I've come across this:
https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian/blob/7fa5c7b89c7444a2d503f064296e0dda219cee20/patch/kernel/meson64-dev/0361-arm64-dts-meson-gxm-add-beelink-gt1.patch
My understanding is that the dev branch includes a patch that will generate an additional .dtb file specifically for beelink gt1.

Therefore, I tried tried to compile the image from source code. Although this works fine with the "current" branch, compilation fails with the dev branch. I naively tried to add the gt1 patch as a userpatch for the 'current' branch, but the integration of the patch would fail too during the creation process of the image.

Here is the command I used to build dev image:

./compile.sh  BOARD=arm-64 BRANCH=dev RELEASE=bionic BUILD_MINIMAL=no BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no COMPRESS_OUTPUTIMAGE=gz

and here is the error (full logs in attachment):

Displaying message: Creating packages
Displaying message: ERROR in function compile_kernel compilation.sh:431 err
Displaying message: Failed moving kernel DEBs  err
Displaying message: Process terminated  info

Any idea why the dev branch won't build ?

log.7z

2 hours ago, Seb_Lz said:

As I was still searching for a solution to get eth0 working on beelink gt1, I've come across this:
https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian/blob/7fa5c7b89c7444a2d503f064296e0dda219cee20/patch/kernel/meson64-dev/0361-arm64-dts-meson-gxm-add-beelink-gt1.patch
My understanding is that the dev branch includes a patch that will generate an additional .dtb file specifically for beelink gt1.

Here is the command I used to build dev image:

./compile.sh  BOARD=arm-64 BRANCH=dev RELEASE=bionic BUILD_MINIMAL=no BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no COMPRESS_OUTPUTIMAGE=gz

The patch you are looking at is part of base armbian, it is not included in balbes150's arm-64 build.  (The patch is from meson64-dev and you are building arm-64-dev).  So even if the build did work, you wouldn't see the result you were looking for.

The build for arm-64-dev is currently pointing to the linux kernel next branch, which is in the midst of the open merge window ahead of 5.7, this code will be unstable for a while, that is likely the reason for the build failures you are seeing.

14 hours ago, balbes150 said:

This means there is no dtb for your model, with the correct SD card settings. You can try the combined version of the launch. Write the Armbain image to a USB flash drive and configure DTB, and write the u-boot to an SD card. Connect the USB and SD card together to the TV box and check the startup.

Hi @balbes150,

Sorry but i did not understand what you meant by "configure DTB".

Do i suppose to create new (dtb) one? if its possible i an sure how. Or you are just referring to adding some settings in uEnv.txt.

Thanks for your response.

36 minutes ago, stefanog said:

i have last armbian image in my beelink gt1..... 

I installed docker.... and after home assistant.. but installation failed !?

No one had any problems?

None with official Armbian https://www.armbian.com/download/ but TV boxes software support is not on that level.

On 4/8/2020 at 4:17 PM, balbes150 said:

If you use an image labeled 3328 in the name, you don't need to write u-boot. Only to complete the configuration of the DTB (rk3328-box.dtb).

only need to add u-boot for the arm-64 version of the image

Hi @balbes150,

I tried everything ... specific images for rk3328, those all in one, usb method, toothpick ... nothing... no boot.
While I was trying a bit of everything on another forum I have found a post from you which I came here:
https://yadi.sk/d/8vNYuuxynz1L0w/20200410-aarch64/rk%2Baw%2Baml
and I downloaded this image:

LibreELEC-ARM-ALL.aarch64-9.80-devel-20200410165853-92efcc1-rk3328.img

With this I can boot!

I start LE which then turns out to be practically unusable, however at least it boots ... somehow I think I have to start from here to get to install Armbian.
Are there other Armbian images I could try to use? Do you have any other advice?

Thanks for everything @balbes150!

Beppe

3 hours ago, stefanog said:

i have last armbian image in my beelink gt1..... 

I installed docker.... and after home assistant.. but installation failed !?

No one had any problems?

3 hours ago, Igor said:

None with official Armbian https://www.armbian.com/download/ but TV boxes software support is not on that level.

I have it installed on my Beelik GT1 following stricly those steps (and using qemuarm-64 for the superviser install):

https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/#alternative-install-home-assistant-supervised-on-a-generic-linux-host

Do you guys have a working ethernet connection with your GT1  (I tried khadas-vim2, q200, q201 and many other .dtb but I can only get wifi working, not eth0) ?

On 4/12/2020 at 5:39 PM, sadek said:

Hi, everyone, this is my first post in this comunity. I mainly write to ask for information for my Wetek Play 2 box.

Through your guides I managed to install the version on this box Armbian_20.05.1_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.6.2_20200408.img.xz

I managed to get everything started without installing Armbian in the Emmc but booting from the SD, I noticed, however, also trying the desktop version, that Bluetooth (as well as WiFi but I don't care) are not working, is there the possibility to make the BT work on this box?

I would like to use this box primarily to run Home Assistant

That is, I have tried various commands to detect the BT on my box, and I enter this command "systemctl status bluetooth" I get this message:

bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2020-04-13 17:30:35 UTC; 11min ago
     Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
 Main PID: 869 (bluetoothd)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 1763)
   CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
           └─869 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd

Apr 13 17:30:34 arm-64 systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service...
Apr 13 17:30:34 arm-64 bluetoothd[869]: Bluetooth daemon 5.48
Apr 13 17:30:35 arm-64 bluetoothd[869]: Starting SDP server
Apr 13 17:30:35 arm-64 bluetoothd[869]: Bluetooth management interface 1.15 initialized
Apr 13 17:30:35 arm-64 systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.

I tried to issue this command too, and to enable the BT via "armbian-config", but nothing changes:

apt-get -y --no-install-recommends install pulseaudio-module-bluetooth blueman

I also tried these commands but the situation does not change. Is it possible to enable the BT on this box?

root@arm-64:~# hcitool lescan
Could not open device: No such device
root@arm-64:~# bluetoothctl
Agent registered
[bluetooth]# scan on
No default controller available
[bluetooth]#

1 hour ago, Seb_Lz said:

I have it installed on my Beelik GT1 following stricly those steps (and using qemuarm-64 for the superviser install):

https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/#alternative-install-home-assistant-supervised-on-a-generic-linux-host

Do you guys have a working ethernet connection with your GT1  (I tried khadas-vim2, q200, q201 and many other .dtb but I can only get wifi working, not eth0) ?

i have always used the installation from armbian-config .... i will try to install it manually. Not even ethernet works for me ...

On 4/12/2020 at 9:24 PM, Seb_Lz said:

Any idea why the dev branch won't build ?

These versions are exclusively for tests and experienced professionals who know how to work with patches.

On 4/13/2020 at 10:11 AM, imrannaqvi83 said:

Sorry but i did not understand what you meant by "configure DTB".

Do i suppose to create new (dtb) one? if its possible i an sure how. Or you are just referring to adding some settings in uEnv.txt.

Thanks for your response.

edit uEnv.txt

15 hours ago, Beppe said:

toothpick

How do you know that you need a toothpick method ???? There is no such method for rk3328.

I start LE which then turns out to be practically unusable, however at least it boots

LE works well on my MX10.

Are there other Armbian images I could try to use? Do you have any other advice?

Write an Armbian image to a USB flash drive, configure DTB in (uEnv.txt), connect the SD card with the working LE, connect the USB flash drive to the USB (which is closest to the SD card slot), and turn on the power.

On 4/11/2020 at 7:15 PM, balbes150 said:

Not copy, but write , just as you write an image.

Hi Balbes, I write an armbian image (generic) to an USB thumb; I manage to do that. Than I put a .dtb file I found for sun50iw9p1-dts in the directory with other dtb files. Then I edit the uEnv.txt file and point it to my .dtb file.

Now the question...What need I to do to let the TV box boot from a SD card (not the USB cause I suspect that from usb does not work).

Must I download a u-boot file and dd it to the sd card? Which u-boot must I have? Here below the specs of th TV box:

Allwinner H616 Mali G31
linux for T95 Allwinner H616 Android 10 TV Box

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/8434-the-list-of-models-that-are-running-armbian-amlogic-rockchip-allwinner-etc/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-96218

5 hours ago, balbes150 said:

How do you know that you need a toothpick method ???? There is no such method for rk3328.

Since nothing works for me I'm trying everything ... so I also tried with the toothpick, I know that there is no method for this on RK3328 but I tried anyway ...

LE works well on my MX10.

On mine I had problems completing the configuration wizard ... I couldn't complete it ... I saw the buttons but they didn't have the text ... I clicked them and it didn't go on ... now I tried to rewrite the image and this time I managed to complete it and now everything seems to be working properly.

Write an Armbian image to a USB flash drive, configure DTB in (uEnv.txt), connect the SD card with the working LE, connect the USB flash drive to the USB (which is closest to the SD card slot), and turn on the power.

Hi @balbes150....

I've done it!!!
I found out what the problem was ... it's nonsense that has nothing to do with your images and your work.
In practice Armbian has always started ... both from SD and from USB, only that (I don't know why) it did it using a resolution not suitable for my monitor ... that's why the screen remained black and I thought it didn't boot !
With LE, for example, the resolution was correct ... I don't know why ... so I said to myself: If it boots with LE and when I also put the USB with Armbian it no longer does the problem could somehow be the screen ... in fact, changed the monitor started on the first try, both with SD and with USB.
What I don't understand, however, is why in the past, on the same monitor, it started at the right resolution and now not ...
Anyway, I thank you infinitely for your patience and your time, I apologize again if I made you lose it with my attempts. You are doing an excellent job!
Thank you!
Beppe

3 hours ago, zanfi said:

Hi Balbes, I write an armbian image (generic) to an USB thumb; I manage to do that. Than I put a .dtb file I found for sun50iw9p1-dts in the directory with other dtb files. Then I edit the uEnv.txt file and point it to my .dtb file.

Now the question...What need I to do to let the TV box boot from a SD card (not the USB cause I suspect that from usb does not work).

Must I download a u-boot file and dd it to the sd card? Which u-boot must I have? Here below the specs of th TV box:

Allwinner H616 Mali G31
linux for T95 Allwinner H616 Android 10 TV Box

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/8434-the-list-of-models-that-are-running-armbian-amlogic-rockchip-allwinner-etc/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-96218

If you want help in these forums, please do your research first (by looking at information already in the forums), follow existing instructions, and please be more detailed in your problem descriptions.

Based on what you have provided in your post, I can state the following:

1) There is no current support for the Allwinner H616 (that is a new chip, and support for it hasn't worked its way in yet).  There are other discussions about this in other forum threads.

2) The link you reference is for an entirely different tv box with a different chip.  The link you posted is for a "T95 Max" which is based on the Allwinner H6, which is supported. There are many variants of these tv boxes with similar names and each is likely to be very different internally.  Also two boxes with the same name can also vary in terms of their CPU and other components. 

3) You mention that you found a dtb file that you were trying. (So much more information is needed here: What dtb?, where did you find it?, why do you think this will work?, what instructions are you following that suggests this will work?, what kernel was that dtb built for?, what kernal are you trying to user it with?)  In general you simply can't do what I think you are trying to do.  If the dtb file isn't part of the distribution you are installing, there is about a 0% chance it will work.  There are no instruction that I am aware of in these forums that suggest that you should try what you are trying and expect it will work.  Stick to things that are documented as working (like the first post of this thread) if you are asking for help.  Or if you really do intend to experiment, make it clear in your posting that you are not following the documentation and trying something different, so that we don't waste valuable time trying to help you.

On 4/8/2020 at 3:54 PM, dbsharpe said:

Have a look at https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12162-single-armbian-image-for-rk-aml-aw/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-96403

So that will be selinux=0 at the end of the APPEND= line in /boot/uEnv.txt

It's only a work around but it would be nice to get a fix.

hi

I asked a question last week about delays and stuck while using ssh & sftp and xrdp(discovered later) in 20.05.1 version.

after upper suggestion, I tried to do the trick and observed better performance in early tries.

but latter, same behavior and maybe no change.

after checking syslogs and package logs ...   I've got nothing.

but after I compared situation, before and after the update, realized that the only change happend

is removing external usb wifi(ralink) and using device builtin wifi.

as the trick believes that the roots to problem lays behind using dscard, dtb and selinux simultaneously and

I wasn't , tried to use former wifi , and found that problem solved.

P.S : as I suggested to help integrate this modules driver to 5.6 kernel as a hobby

I think now this is a need not a hobby.

is there a way to compile the kernel with different drivers or wifi configs?

I am a volunteer

i might help in low level programming,as i usually work with microcontrollers and etc.

@balbes150

@dbsharpe

22 minutes ago, amirdelta said:

is there a way to compile the kernel with different drivers or wifi configs?

I am a volunteer

i might help in low level programming,as i usually work with microcontrollers and etc.

@balbes150

@dbsharpe

To build the whole image, see https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian but its a bit involved. You can google forum.armbian  + github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel which is just the kernel. Can't tell you what branch of this kernel source tree to use and can't say if all the required patches are there (as they may be applied in the
Build-Armbian repo).

On 4/13/2020 at 12:18 AM, balbes150 said:

Instead of reinventing the wheel, you just need to carefully read the instructions and the forum.

I didn't find any documents about how to boot from usb after a emmc installation or how to shrink the image file. Any official way to do that?

On 3/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, balbes150 said:

The images are compatible , but if you have s905 (not s905x), you probably won 't be able to install the system on eMMC, because many s905s have too old u-boot, it can 't work with the new kernel.

Sorry to ask, but after reading all it is still not clear to me.  S905 install to eMMC works now?

1 hour ago, Binbin Qian said:

I didn't find any documents about how to boot from usb after a emmc installation or how to shrink the image file. Any official way to do that?

If you don't run any pirate shit and follow the instructions exactly, after a one-time activation of the multi-boot, it is saved, including after installing the system in eMMC (this means that starting from USB works after installing the system correctly in eMMC). No compression is required at all.

1 hour ago, sadek said:

Can anyone help me? An answer at least to know if it is possible or not. Thank you

I'm not familiar with your Wetek Play 2 hardware so I can't give a definitive answer. Generally, BT doesn't work (so get a $1 USB BT dongle) in Armbian and wifi is patchy.

I found for my specific hardware that the firmware files are incorrect (and still are 2 years later) - see this page.

To figure this out, you will need to boot into android, find the module load command (ie in my case insmod/modprobe dhd.ko firmware_path=/...... nvram_path=/......) and find all the firmware files. Compare what you have with what armbian /var/log/syslog reports.

4 hours ago, Alessandro Salgoni said:

Is possible turn on the optical audio output?

Without any information about what box you have or what version you are working with, there isn't enough information to answer your question.  I will however add my general observation that the answer is "maybe but probably not".  For example I don't have any working audio on any of the boxes I am running (not even under HDMI, let alone optical).  I consider working audio in these builds on most boxes to be something you are lucky to have working, but don't expect it to work.  (Much like wifi and bluetooth generally don't work on many boxes, and people shouldn't expect them to work).

5 minutes ago, SteeMan said:

Without any information about what box you have or what version you are working with, there isn't enough information to answer your question.  I will however add my general observation that the answer is "maybe but probably not".  For example I don't have any working audio on any of the boxes I am running (not even under HDMI, let alone optical).  I consider working audio in these builds on most boxes to be something you are lucky to have working, but don't expect it to work.  (Much like wifi and bluetooth generally don't work on many boxes, and people shouldn't expect them to work).

Thanks! I have a Beelink MX II Mini (S905).

The led of optical connection turn on in boot fase but after the boot it turn off and connection not work.