Single Armbian image for RK + AML + AW (aarch64 ARMv8)

balbes150

21 hours ago, Peyton said:

I have a 2GB/16GB and i installed it yesterday with buster no desktop on emmc. I tried with bionic and i add a problem with sudoer.

I have also tried bionic, buster from 20200227 build. Still no luck. Mine is 1g/8g btw.

New version 20200302 with kernel 5.6.

fixed audio stuttering on s905 Vega S95.

To enable audio on S905\S905X\S912, run the script (sudo /root/gx_sound.sh) or enable via alsamixer.

The order of turning on the sound on the g12 remains the same (delete pulseaudio and run the script g12_sound.sh).

9 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

New version 20200302 with kernel 5.6.

fixed audio stuttering on s905 Vega S95.

To enable audio on S905\S905X\S912, run the script (sudo /root/gx_sound.sh) or enable via alsamixer.

The order of turning on the sound on the g12 remains the same (delete pulseaudio and run the script g12_sound.sh).

I will install today... Can you provide headers 5.6.0-rc2? Thanks.

I would also like to ask for headers.

I think headers should be part of image. At least as long as kernel and headers are not downloadable via package manager (I hope we can soon get kernel/headers from a repository, so we do not need to install new image to get fresh kernel - this unified image is a step towards that goal).

Otherwise it is impossible to compile modules.

It is not very efficient to compile full custom kernel just so that you can add one little module. It takes ages. And it is somewhat difficult to replace a kernel.

Or please provide kernel headers as separate download for every image version if you do not want to make it part of the image.

I really do not understand why kernel headers are not included.

15 minutes ago, srx said:

I would also like to ask for headers.

I really do not understand why kernel headers are not included.

The kernel is at https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel (and therefore headers) but from previous posts by the developer, the source updates are not pushed online to github until some time afterwards. I don't think all patches are in the github kernel source as the bootable images are built with https://github.com/150balbes/Build-Armbian which seems to apply additional patches when you cook your own armbain images.
IMHO, separate headers would be too much work but prompt up to date kernel source would be nice.

Edited by dbsharpe
typo

Armbian_20.05.0-trunk_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.6.0-rc2_desktop_20200302.img.xz runs and installs flawless again on my x96-mini 2/16 Testbox(as always connected via ETH and using analogue output on usb soundcard).

Bildschirmfoto_2020-03-02_23-39-51a.png

hello,

i have an old nexbox a95x (s905, usb2, 100M eth) with an image from the "balbes150 (ver 5.44 =<)" thead.
it still has the original ubuntu xenial 16.04 with kernel 3.14.29 and i would like to upgrade to a more recent ubuntu branch.
Can i use the regular ubuntu "dist upgrade" process to do so, or will the armbian image break this process ?

more info :
I don't think i really need to upgrade the kernel, the system is installed on the emmc, it's a headless system so no need for wifi, sound or video.
if it's been discussed in details somewhere else please send me a link where i can read about it.

thx for your help, sorry if it's not directly related to this thread and thx for all the work done for those cheap tv boxes.

13 hours ago, el_ayoun said:

I went back to 20.02.0 rc1.037 /5.50-RC6 desktop and I finally see screen in verbose however all tried dtb get stuck in the tty1 comment.  About now?

Uff, I am in!

21 hours ago, mdel said:

Can i use the regular ubuntu "dist upgrade" process to do so, or will the armbian image break this process ?

I have not checked this option and I doubt that this option is possible for the current state of Armbian. Most likely, this will give a lot of errors and will not work.

21 hours ago, mdel said:

I don't think i really need to upgrade the kernel,

I would strongly recommend getting rid of this leaky and unsafe crap as quickly as possible (3.14) and moving to the new kernel 5.

You have s905x, this version of u-boot should work correctly with the new kernel from eMMC. The procedure of verification.

1. Create a full backup of the current eMMC state and save it securely.

2. Update the multiload in eMMC.

3. Perform a clean install of the new version in eMMC.

4. Configure the new system in eMMC.

I have TVbox MyGica atv329x with s905x SOC.

I have stock firmware with Android 7.1 I have never applied patches, custom firmware e.t.c.

I use the 'Armbian_20.05.0_Arm-64_buster_current_5.6.0-rc4_20200304.img' image to write on SD card using dd.

I have prepared SD: set 'meson-gxl-s905x-p212.dtb' into 'uEnv.txt', wrote the 'u-boot-odroid-c2.img' u-boot image using dd commands from this topic.
But I can't enable a universal multiboot.
Standard android update utility is empty. I tried to set different source there (External SD, Internal SD).
I tried to install the 'aml_autoscript.zip' file using the stock recovery but I had the error 'zip is currupt'.

It's very strange that the 'aml_autoscript.zip' file has zero size and it's empty.

# du -h aml_autoscript.zip
0       aml_autoscript.zip
# cat aml_autoscript.zip
# 

Is there a manual way to install multiboot using root access to the system?

22 hours ago, VeRsTaK said:

wrote the 'u-boot-odroid-c2.img' u-boot image using dd commands from this topic.

This is not required for AML TV boxes.

22 hours ago, VeRsTaK said:

It's very strange that the 'aml_autoscript.zip' file has zero size and it's empty.

This is a service file and its size does not matter.

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

This is a service file and its size does not matter.

But the update application can't find the 'aml_autoscript.zip' file in first part of SD card. It works fine to run a custom recovery (in run-time, without installation) for example. If I put the recovery zip image in same place of same SD card, update application can find it. But it can't find 'aml_autoscript.zip'.

I tried to use stock recovery to install but I had the error from attached image.

20200305_122552.jpg

1 hour ago, VeRsTaK said:

But the update application can't find the 'aml_autoscript.zip' file in first part of SD card. It works fine to run a custom recovery

Your firmware uses its own version of the update , which is not compatible with the generally accepted one.

1 hour ago, balbes150 said:

Your firmware uses its own version of the update , which is not compatible with the generally accepted one.

I made a copy of the 'aml_autoscript' file and renamed it to 'factory_update_param.ubt' then rebooted to stock recovery. It's work for my bootloader.
System has loaded fine. Thanks for your job!!! :thumbup:
Does this distribution has custom kernel? Can I use 'apt upgrade' in the future? Will standard deb packages from armbian rewrite kernel?

Hi balbes150,

I have your Ubuntu 18.04 build with 5.5.0-rc6-arm-64 kernel. I'm getting linux-image-current-arm-64 suggested for upgrade via apt which fails with following error

Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-current-arm-64_20.05.0_arm64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-current-arm-64 (20.05.0) over (19.11.5) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-current-arm-64_20.05.0_arm64.deb (--unpack):
 unable to make backup link of './boot/dtb/allwinner/sun50i-a64-amarula-relic.dtb' before installing new version: Operation not permitted
dpkg-deb: error: paste subprocess was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
mv: cannot stat '/boot/vmlinuz-5.5.0-rc6-arm-64': No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-current-arm-64_20.05.0_arm64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I do understand what the error says (/boot/vmlinuz-5.5.0-rc6-arm-64 is really absent in my /boot). The question is - is this some bug in proposed kernel version or is it just not compatible with my build and I should not try to install it at all)

39 minutes ago, chpasha said:

I do understand what the error says (/boot/vmlinuz-5.5.0-rc6-arm-64 is really absent in my /boot). The question is - is this some bug in proposed kernel version or is it just not compatible with my build and I should not try to install it at all)

Remove the old kernel from the beginning and then start installing the new one. This is not a consistent error in the kernel update scripts , perhaps in the future I will find time and fix it so that the update is automatic.

Hello,
I recently bought X96Air 4gb / 64gb. With meson-sm1-sei610.dtb it boots but the whole screen is white and it is just OK and with the overwriting files from the NicoD archive the screen is green. Is there another dtb compatible with this model?

Armbian_20.05.0-trunk_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.5.1_desktop_20200227.

34 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Remove the old kernel from the beginning and then start installing the new one

and with remove you mean "apt remove linux-image-current-arm-64" and then install the package again so it doesn't do "update"-routines but only fresh-install stuff, right?

2 hours ago, chpasha said:

and with remove you mean "apt remove linux-image-current-arm-64" and then install the package again so it doesn't do "update"-routines but only fresh-install stuff, right?

Remove the 19.11.5 kernel package ( for example, via Synaptic) and then run the 20.05 kernel installation

On 3/4/2020 at 7:46 AM, balbes150 said:

You have s905x, this version of u-boot should work correctly with the new kernel from eMMC. The procedure of verification.

1. Create a full backup of the current eMMC state and save it securely.

2. Update the multiload in eMMC.

3. Perform a clean install of the new version in eMMC.

4. Configure the new system in eMMC.

okay ubuntu direct upgrade is not recommended so i will not try it.
I'll upgrade to a new kernel with your new image.

Unfortunately my box has a s905 (the oldest one), yes the box is called a95x but does not have s905x which came later.
i have seen your s9xxx thread and could not understand if it is compatible with s905 as well or not.
I assume the images for s9xxx and aml+rk+aw are compatible with the old s905 too, please let me know if it's correct.
thank you.

1 hour ago, mdel said:

Unfortunately my box has a s905 (the oldest one), yes the box is called a95x but does not have s905x which came later.

The images are compatible , but if you have s905 (not s905x), you probably won 't be able to install the system on eMMC, because many s905s have too old u-boot, it can 't work with the new kernel.

Hi. I've recently bricked an amlogic s905x Box and I can't boot from android. I was able to use Armbian by burning to a sd card and then using a file named "1.img" with amlogic burn card maker, but I try to install to eMMC and I get the error Unable to find your EMMC, does this mean my eMMC is dead ? 

No Wifi Tanix TX92

Hi Folks;

Tanix TX92, 3g/32G
I downloaded armbian ubuntu server from here: download armbian ubuntu from: https://yadi.sk/d/5_32km_EsCV2A/ARMBIAN/20.02/20200205
using FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-gxm-q200.dtb (/uenv.txt)

all OK except WiFi (and perhaps gpu):
root@aml:~# dmesg | grep ath
[    9.623415] ath10k_sdio mmc2:0001:1: Unsupported hardware version: 0x5020001
[    9.629543] ath10k_sdio mmc2:0001:1: could not get hw params (-22)
[    9.699931] ath10k_sdio mmc2:0001:1: could not probe fw (-22)

Did internet research. Appears this patch (for proper kernel): https://github.com/ajaybhatia/Qualcomm-Atheros-QCA9377-Wifi-Linux/blob/master/qca9377_hw1.1_for_linux_4.4-rc2.patch
is not applied
Questions:
1) Something else wrong, missed a step, WiFi should be working?
2) If I want to build and patch, where can I git the sources / build system? Is it https://github.com/armbian/build ? Confused because supported boards not contain TX92
3) If correct re missing patch, can it be incorporated next build cycle?

Thanks;
Bill Ross

Good evening, I try to install the Armbian_20.05.0_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.6.0-rc4_desktop_20200306 version on SD card in ODROID N2 and I am not successful.
We proceeded as follows:
1. I downloaded the image, unzipped it.
2. I wrote the image on the SD card with Gnome Disks, the card being mounted in the card slot of the card, I mention that I booted from Emmc the Linux version turbo 4.9.210-meson64.
3. I wrote u-boot-odroid-n2.img all with Gnome Disks and modified uEnv.txt accordingly.
It does not boot either with the petitboot boot manager (the latest version and with network installation) nor directly with the SD card inserted.
Thanks and I am very curious how it can be solved.

whoohoo!! solved: No Wifi Tanix TX92

I did all the heavy lifting on this. Please incorporate changes in build (if you want), including the firmware

patch from https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg190482.html
    to patch/kernel/aml-s9xxx-current/qca9377_hw1.1.patch
    on target:
        hint: https://github.com/erstrom/linux-ath/issues/9
        cd /tmp; git clone -b bd-sdmac https://github.com/erstrom/ath10k-firmware.git
        mkdir /lib/firmware/ath10k; cp -rf ath10k-firmware/QCA9887/ /lib/firmware/ath10k
        cp /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-5.bin_WLAN.TF.1.0-00267-1 /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-5.bin
        cp /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/untested/firmware-sdio-5.bin_WLAN.TF.1.1.1-00061-QCATFSWPZ-1 /lib/firmware/ath10k/QCA9377/hw1.0/firmware-sdio-5.bin

Regards;

Bill

qca9377_hw1.1.patch

Using X96 Air 4/64GB running Android 9 box which is Amlogic S905x3

1. Downloaded "Armbian_20.05.0-trunk_Arm-64_bionic_current_5.5.1_20200227.img"

2. Burnt the image to micro SD using Win32diskImager

3. Edited uEnv.txt in the boot partition of the micro SD card. (shown below)

LINUX=/zImage
INITRD=/uInitrd

# aml s9xxx
#FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-g12a-x96-max-no-cvbs.dtb
#FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-g12b-ugoos-am6-no-cvbs.dtb
FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-sm1-sei610.dtb
APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0

4. Renamed the following files "boot.ini" to "boot.ini-" "S905_autoscript" to S905_autoscript-" "u-boot.usb" to "u-boot.usb-" in the boot partition of the micro SD card.

5. Downloaded NicoD's "bootS905X3.7z" file and extracted it to the boot partition of the micro SD card.

6. Safely ejected the micro SD card.

7. Booted the X96 Air box using the the toothpick method to load from micro SD card.

The X96 Air box does not boot. Just goes into 5 second loops with the HDMI being connected (dark screen with donut of death) and HDMI disconnected.

If I boot the box into Android 9 and use the update app to install "aml_autoscript.zip", I get dead robot with error saying "map of @/cache/recovery/block.map failed"

Have I missed a step?  Can anyone please advise?

NicoD bootS905X3.7z file

Edited by Madasafish
clarity