Cannot start desktop armbian-config

EndtheFED

Installed desktop, ran start desktop. From there I was back in text mode. Rebooted still no desktop. Tried startx, xinit and, several other start desktop commands from various OS's. I've been working on this for 3 days now. Don't know what I'm missing.

I also tried installing lightdm, no change.

I could also use the shut down command. Tried everything I could think of there too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hate wasting your bandwidth and time. I'm stuck! I'm done wasting bandwidth and moved to time now. Funny it asks me startx like in (OS name). Wish I knew how to tell it Yes! exactly lol! Thanks in advance ROC-RK3328-CC Armbian 5.98 Renegade

If you started with a desktop image - all you need is to follow instructions. If you miss one point (creating a user) you won't get a desktop ... and you are on your own to fix it.

Start with latest desktop image and read & respond to 1st login procedure.

I have set up the accounts many times and passwords accepted so I'm at a loss. It is really difficult and takes many tries. Keep getting double key entries. Since passwords don't show how many keys, it takes many retries. Tried several keyboards too. Maybe this is the problem?

Had no problem with the old image except for Chromium and the double key entries in command line. The media script almost made it usable. Buggy Chromium killed it for me. 

I really liked what I saw from Armbian. Wish I had bought a supported board. Oh well.  I'll check for a new image in 6 months. Tired of reinstalling!

3 hours ago, EndtheFED said:

Keep getting double key entries.

The procedure is very simple and 99% of people does not have problems. This 1st login experience can be improved a little bit but not much. You need to:
- login somehow (this could be done automatic but we would need to sacrifice some security)

- change root password (this should be done by repeating password. no other go)

- username creation. (well, this could be shortened by not asking for extra fields, but username and Name is a must to get from you)

3 hours ago, EndtheFED said:

Had no problem with the old image except

You have troubles with latest image but older is working OK? Builds are manually tested only for supported boards ... new release is coming this week. Perhaps you shell try that. 3328 chips are well support but expect that not everything works. Especially when it comes to Chromium and multimedia support.

It must be the password errors. Somehow I made it without typing too soft or hard. Desktop loaded. Retype foreman password once and I guess that's all it takes to break it. I also went for minimal desktop this time to save time and bandwidth. I added full desktop after that. Thanks for the reply! I'm a dunce lol

I found the real problem. Install full desktop does not give you a desktop. Minimal does. After minimal is installed, you can install full desktop. Don't know if it will cause problems but, it's the only way I found to install full desktop and, have a desktop.

Last install had no errors through password change and, foreman set up. After reboot from moving file system, I had to type password twice. Installed full desktop and, no desktop.