Switching SUNXI-DEV to 5.4.y

17 minutes ago, Igor said:

And next release is just about the corner.

It seems that I'm not in the user list ...

This page is only available to Jira Software users. If you think you should be a Jira Software user, you should ask your administrator to give you application access to Jira Software.

58 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

It seems that I'm not in the user list ...

This should be public. It looks its some permission issue ... I didn't want to invite people before a clear usage model is set.

Invite sent. Continuing what I already did - open (and close) issues and attach them to versions - is clear and useful for getting a release notes. The rest has to be declared.

Edit: here is publicly available (copy/paste)

3 hours ago, dolphs said:

good news - However guess that will be coming Monday once 5.4.0 will be born ( assuming 5.4-rc9 won't be released instead )?

There is also bad news :P There is only @martinayotte left doing adaptations and testings on this kernel branch (I am just about to leave office for few weeks and will not do any code) which means "you" will need to step up and help. Recompiling, if things are not prepared, adjusted and tested on all Allwinner boards, is pointless. 1st stage is DEV kernel with 5.4.y anyway ...

31 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

gettings new configs/branches/structures, I'm seeing that patch/kernel/sunxi-dev is symbolic link to patch/kernel/sunxi-current ...

Remove link and create new directory sunxi-dev and put new patches there. I made a link because at that time there were no diff.

1 minute ago, Igor said:

Create new directory sunxi-dev and put new patches there. I made a link because at that time there were no diff.

Ok, Thanks ! So, I will have to delete the symlink first in git and then create new dir and copies all the old patches and update the ones for 5.4.y.

I don't think I will be able to commit by the end-of-the-day, so many small things failing into crack, such random MAC on OPiPC+ WiFi which wasn't there in 5.4.0-rc4 2 weeks ago ...

Among those, I have so many different board to try it out, that make a lot of image builds ...

EDIT: Same random MAC issue on OPiPlus2E, which has the same WiFi RTL8189 ...

EDIT2 : Same random MAC issue on OPiWin, which is NOT a RTL8189, but an AP6212, so it is not a driver issue, and both DT from previous RC5 and RC8 are identical, so, most probably something else ...

EDIT3: I've found that both kernel and u-boot don't have alias for AP6212, so the issue was probably there since months. I will try to fix that and redo a build.

On 11/23/2019 at 1:37 PM, dolphs said:

good news - However guess that will be coming Monday once 5.4.0 will be born ( assuming 5.4-rc9 won't be released instead )?

and there it is ...

so " dev " will be 5.5 ( once available ) and

" current " will be based on 5.4.x soon ( once ayufan rgd RK3399 and rgd H6 megi got their code tagged ),

Interesting two months coming up.

17 hours ago, martinayotte said:

I've found that both kernel and u-boot don't have alias for AP6212, so the issue was probably there since months. I will try to fix that and redo a build.

Push it when it builds is good enough for this stage. You don't need to test everything on your own :) I still have a day or two in the office and can iron something out ...

43 minutes ago, dolphs said:

so " dev " will be 5.5 ( once available ) and

" current " will be based on 5.4.x soon ( once ayufan rgd RK3399 and rgd H6 megi got their code tagged ),

Interesting two months coming up.

Yes. I expect we will switch current to 5.4.y in next release which is set for 2/2020 ... if there will not be any major showstoppers. Its still a lot of work on our side, including manual testings. Its far away from just switching upstream tags and running update script. We still maintain insane amount of patches which provide functionality months - a year before they get mainlined.

5 hours ago, martinayotte said:

I've just did the commit, hoping not much broken ...

@megi did you plan to merge the Linus Offical Non-RC soon ?

thanks - built with orangepi-5.4 (rc8) but still get the dts duplicate_node_names errors as back then, suppose 5.4 will not be ready for building till megi merged to official?

[ ./compile.sh BOARD=orangepioneplus BRANCH=current RELEASE=buster BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no BUILD_MINIMAL=yes ] 

#updated " sunxi64_common.inc " to " KERNELBRANCH="branch:orange-pi-5.4" "

output.log

<snip snip>

Displaying message: Compiling dev kernel 5.4.0-rc8 info
Displaying message: Compiler version aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc 8.3.0 info
Displaying message: Using kernel config file config/kernel/linux-sunxi64-dev.config info
Displaying message: ERROR in function compile_kernel compilation.sh:382 err
Displaying message: Kernel was not built @host err

grep ERROR compilation.log

arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6.dtsi:735.21-747.5: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc/i2c@5002000: Duplicate node name
arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6.dtsi:749.21-761.5: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc/i2c@5002400: Duplicate node name
arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6.dtsi:763.21-775.5: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc/i2c@5002800: Duplicate node name
arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6.dtsi:1205.18-1213.5: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc/ir@7040000: Duplicate node name

thanks for efforts, will stay tuned!

7 hours ago, dolphs said:

grep ERROR compilation.log

arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/sun50i-h6.dtsi:735.21-747.5: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc/i2c@5002000: Duplicate node name

I didn't have enough time to check H6, I've only done build for H3/H5 ...

I will check H6 later today !

EDIT : H6 are Ok ! ...

32 minutes ago, guidol said:

Is then now CURRENT unlinked from DEV?

So CURRENT is 5.3.x and DEV 5.4.x?

Right !

33 minutes ago, guidol said:

Could you tell when we can select the 5.4 kernel from armbian-config => system => other?

I never do upgrades using armbian-config, I'm always using full images on new SDCards.

4 hours ago, martinayotte said:

I didn't have enough time to check H6, I've only done build for H3/H5 ...

Allwinner A64 (sun50iw1 and also sunxi64 like the H5) does also work with this kernel on my NanoPi A64 ;)

Welcome to Debian Buster with Armbian Linux 5.4.0-rc8-sunxi64
package bsp-kernel[19.11.3] u-boot[19.11.3] dtb[19.11.3] firmware[19.11.3] config[19.11.3]
branch[dev]

Also BPi M2 Berry did start up with the kernel ;)

BTW: I do use the options WIREGUARD=no AUFS=no at ./compile.sh

Hi, ok just lit up my dev environment and tried to build from scratch ( removing armbian directory and check out again )

Current orangepione plus status building with:

./compile.sh BOARD=orangepioneplus BRANCH=dev RELEASE=buster BUILD_DESKTOP=no KERNEL_ONLY=no KERNEL_CONFIGURE=no BUILD_MINIMAL=yes

<snip snip>

oot-nodtb.bin 0x4a000000 $start $end
scripts/Makefile.lib:308: recipe for target 'arch/arm/dts/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dtb' failed
scripts/Makefile.lib:308: recipe for target 'arch/arm/dts/sun50i-h6-orangepi-lite2.dtb' failed
scripts/Makefile.lib:308: recipe for target 'arch/arm/dts/sun50i-h6-orangepi-one-plus.dtb' failed
scripts/Makefile.lib:308: recipe for target 'arch/arm/dts/sun50i-h6-pine-h64.dtb' failed
dts/Makefile:38: recipe for target 'arch-dtbs' failed
Makefile:1061: recipe for target 'dts/dt.dtb' failed
[ error ] ERROR in function compile_uboot [ compilation.sh:204 ]
[ error ] U-boot compilation failed
[ o.k. ] Process terminated

:~/armbian/output/debug$ grep ERROR output.log
Displaying message: ERROR in function compile_uboot compilation.sh:204 err

:~/armbian/output/debug$ grep failed output.log
Displaying message: * [\e[32ml\e[0m][\e[32mc\e[0m] add-h6-syscon+emac.patch failed wrn
Displaying message: * [\e[32ml\e[0m][\e[32mc\e[0m] add-orangepi3.patch failed wrn
Displaying message: * [\e[32ml\e[0m][\e[32mc\e[0m] fix-u-boot-H6-reset.patch failed wrn
Displaying message: U-boot compilation failed  err

:~/armbian/output/debug$ grep ERROR compilation.log
arch/arm/dts/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dtb: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc: Duplicate node name
arch/arm/dts/sun50i-h6-beelink-gs1.dtb: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc: Duplicate node name
ERROR: Input tree has errors, aborting (use -f to force output)
arch/arm/dts/sun50i-h6-orangepi-lite2.dtb: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc: Duplicate node name
arch/arm/dts/sun50i-h6-orangepi-lite2.dtb: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc: Duplicate node name
arch/arm/dts/sun50i-h6-orangepi-one-plus.dtb: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc: Duplicate node name
arch/arm/dts/sun50i-h6-orangepi-one-plus.dtb: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc: Duplicate node name
arch/arm/dts/sun50i-h6-pine-h64.dtb: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc: Duplicate node name
arch/arm/dts/sun50i-h6-pine-h64.dtb: ERROR (duplicate_node_names): /soc: Duplicate node name

13 minutes ago, dolphs said:

Hi, ok just lit up my dev environment and tried to build from scratch

Yes, its broken (as expected) and with some help it will go little faster.

2 hours ago, martinayotte said:

"current" still use the previous version of patches for 5.3.y ...

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1632
Now this is completely true :) In the mean time it was working properly only for arm64

cheers both - final attempt for today, which actually appers to be third time " lucky " :

git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/armbian/build armbian
cd armbinan
./compile.sh BOARD=orangepioneplus BRANCH=dev <snip snip>... ...   # same parameters as shown in previous post

[ o.k. ] Checking git sources [ u-boot v2019.10 ]    # nice! :-)

[ o.k. ] Checking git sources [ linux-mainline orange-pi-5.4 ]   # good stuff!  now megi to merge things for 5.4 final, so no more KERNELRELEASE=5.4.0-rc8-sunxi64 :-)

<snip snip>

Well hats off to youse guys, seems following DEV image has been built :

Armbian_19.11.3_Orangepioneplus_buster_dev_5.4.0-rc8_minimal.img

Grepping on logs shows tons of warnings so will exclude these, ERRORS however

compilation.log:arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/overlay/sun50i-a64-spi-spidev.dts:20.11-25.6: Warning (spi_bus_reg): /fragment@1/__overlay__/spidev: SPI bus unit address format error, expected "0"
compilation.log:arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/overlay/sun50i-a64-spi-spidev.dts:34.11-39.6: Warning (spi_bus_reg): /fragment@2/__overlay__/spidev: SPI bus unit address format error, expected "0"
compilation.log:arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/overlay/sun50i-h5-spi-spidev.dts:20.11-25.6: Warning (spi_bus_reg): /fragment@1/__overlay__/spidev: SPI bus unit address format error, expected "0"
compilation.log:arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/overlay/sun50i-h5-spi-spidev.dts:34.11-39.6: Warning (spi_bus_reg): /fragment@2/__overlay__/spidev: SPI bus unit address format error, expected "0"
compilation.log:arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/overlay/sun50i-h6-spi-spidev.dts:20.11-25.6: Warning (spi_bus_reg): /fragment@1/__overlay__/spidev: SPI bus unit address format error, expected "0"
compilation.log:arch/arm64/boot/dts/allwinner/overlay/sun50i-h6-spi-spidev.dts:34.11-39.6: Warning (spi_bus_reg): /fragment@2/__overlay__/spidev: SPI bus unit address format error, expected "0"

output.log:Displaying message: * [\e[32ml\e[0m][\e[32mc\e[0m] 0080-rtl8723bs-disable-error-message-about-failure-to-all.patch  info
patching.log:Processing file /home/dolphs/armbian/patch/kernel/sunxi-dev/0080-rtl8723bs-disable-error-message-about-failure-to-all.patch

So it is really getting there chaps, well done!

Now where is 5.5-rc1 next ;-)

nite nite