Tanix TX9S

Matteo Fedeli

hi,

I just want to share my experience with running armbian with Tanix TX9S. I recently bought it from gearbest because it was the lowest-prices S912 device with 1Gbps ethernet. I intent to use it with armbian/Home Assistant. Note that TX9S does NOT have a BT.

I also tried with meson-gxm-q200.dtb with both the desktop/cli version of debian buster. The ethernet works, but no wifi was detected.

I then tried meson-gxm-q201.dtb. While it boots, either ethernet nor wifi was detected.

While I intent to use my TX9S as a headless server, I nonetheless wonder if one can get wifi to work with armbian?  I am willing to help in any way I can.

regards,

20200305_122552.jpghello friends,

Trying to install armbian (ubuntu, debian versions) on Tanix Tx9s about 2 days.. I have read all instructions but still no success. I have try with sdcard and USB stick:

1. ota android update.

2. toothpick method.

Using edited file meson-gxm-q200.dtb in /boot/uEnv.txt   (in comment uEnv.ini???):

"LINUX=/zImage
INITRD=/uInitrd

# aml s9xxx
FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-gxm-q200.dtb
APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0"

i have try meson-gxm-q201.dtb too.

on boot recovery i see error:

"aml_autoscript.zip

e:failed to map my file."

on armbian forum i have found same error message, so i try to solve:

I made a copy of the 'aml_autoscript' file and renamed it to 'factory_update_param.ubt'

still the same error message.. People, how install a armbian on Tx9s, how to solve this problem, please help..

10 hours ago, Thomasas said:

p.s alexelec media center last version 3.1.9 i have installed and all working good, except tv controller and bt, so coreelec i think will work too.

On the tx9s model, there are no problems with starting Armbian (I have this model and I know for sure that everything works ), read carefully the first message of the theme on system settings and especially carefully read the information highlighted in red.

10 hours ago, balbes150 said:

On the tx9s model, there are no problems with starting Armbian (I have this model and I know for sure that everything works ), read carefully the first message of the theme on system settings and especially carefully read the information highlighted in red.

Thanks for reply!

yes i have read all instructions really carefully + all in red too:

1. I have downloaded image - Armbian_20.05.0_Arm-64_focal_current_5.6.0-rc4_desktop_20200311.img.xz

2. Using balenaEtcher installed directly to my samsung sd card 64 gb.

3. Downloaded and installed with balenaEtcher to the same sd card u-boot "new version" - u-boot-odroid-n2.img.

4. Edited file uEnv.txt :

"LINUX=/zImage
INITRD=/uInitrd

# aml s9xxx
FDT=/dtb/amlogic/meson-gxm-q200.dtb
APPEND=root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0"

5. booted fresh new Tanix tx9s android and maunted prepared sd card.

6. Clicked on "Select" local update and chose the file on the removable media aml_autoscript.zip
8. Start "Update"
9. System reboot twice (as disribed, its blinked 2 times) and after no hdmi signal, no info. waited more than 20 minutes. (all i see on my screen is only TV info - HDMI1, so no signal from tvbox)

Sd card good working and pretty fast, plus after iso install with balenaEtcher i make validate write on success.

If You have the same Tv box, please tell me what i miss, maybe problem with uboot file, wish i have to choose? Again, thanks for Your hard work and answers.

1 minute ago, Thomasas said:

If You have the same Tv box, please tell my hat i miss, maybe problem with uboot file, wish i have to choose? Again, thanks for Your hard work and answers.

Choose another dtb. The one of vim2 or maybe q201.

14 minutes ago, jeanrhum said:

Choose another dtb. The one of vim2 or maybe q201.

Thanks, after Your replay, i have tested:

1.meson-gxm-q201

2.meson-gxm-khadas-vim2, but on dbt list i see only one vim2 version.

3.meson-gxm-s912-libretech-pc

result the same..  strange when i see people in forum who says that working dbt is meson-gxm-q201 or 200. why not working on tvbox, i have fresh version of box, no custom firmware installed no other modification. on uboot list i see only one right version - odroid-n2, its at least amologic version, aim right?

2 hours ago, Thomasas said:

yes i have read all instructions really carefully + all in red too:

You didn't read the instructions carefully. The problem is the shit you ran earlier. Until you completely restore the regular Android firmware via USB Burning Tool, nothing will work (no SD cards and so on will not help, only restore the regular firmware via USB and accurately follow all the steps of the instructions for starting Armbian and to activate multi-loading, you can use the toothpick method.).

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

It should not work, this WiFi chip is not supported.

I want to put an effort to add wifi support of these (tanix s912 and topleo s905x3) boards on armbian. I need pointers to continue my efforts in this direction. And if successful i will extend my efforts in any require direction of opensource armbian.

1 hour ago, Siraj said:

I want to put an effort to add wifi support of these (tanix s912 and topleo s905x3) boards on armbian. I need pointers to continue my efforts in this direction. And if successful i will extend my efforts in any require direction of opensource armbian.

https://forum.armbian.com/search/?q= RTL8189&fromCSE=1

Update: the first task is to identify the wifi chipset. I ssh the tvbox while running andriod and found this line in dmesg

[ 2799.880433@4] RTL871X: SetHwReg8188E(wlan0): [HW_VAR_MACID_WAKEUP] macid=0, org reg_0x48c=0x00000001 

Further i open the box and found that wifi chip is rtl8189ETV

The driver mentioned in the above link https://github.com/rdm-dev/rtl8189ES_linux/trunk results in 404

So i google and found driver from this link https://linux-sunxi.org/Wifi 

and driver on

https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux

then the make

make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/5.5.11-meson64/build
make: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.5.11-meson64'
  UPD     include/config/kernel.release
  UPD     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
  MKELF   scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/modpost.o
  CC      scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s
  UPD     scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/file2alias.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/sumversion.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/mod/modpost
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'arch/arm64/kernel/vdso/vdso.lds', needed by 'arch/arm64/kernel/vdso/vdso.so.dbg'.  Stop.
make: *** [arch/arm64/Makefile:164: vdso_prepare] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.5.11-meson64'

found an error but no solution of it

47 minutes ago, Siraj said:

Further i open the box and found that wifi chip is rtl8192

Hmmm It says here that this model uses an 8189ES chip

For 8192 there are already modules in the core , may need to add the correct firmware ( install the full firmware package).

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s912/785758-tanix-tx9s-smart-4k-tv-box-amlogic-s912?p=791409#post791409

Hello,

Before experimenting with the box, I decided to check the UART, but I did not succeed. Can someone check if the UART in the tvbox is fake or I did not take into account something? Sorry for translating Google.

On 3/25/2020 at 12:09 PM, balbes150 said:

Hmmm It says here that this model uses an 8189ES chip

For 8192 there are already modules in the core , may need to add the correct firmware ( install the full firmware package).

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s912/785758-tanix-tx9s-smart-4k-tv-box-amlogic-s912?p=791409#post791409

Unable to work because of medical issue, today i work and found

The chip on the board is 8189EFV 

Found driver on

https://github.com/jwrdegoede/rtl8189ES_linux

then the make

make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE= -C /lib/modules/5.5.11-meson64/build
make: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.5.11-meson64'
  UPD     include/config/kernel.release
  UPD     include/generated/utsrelease.h
  CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
  MKELF   scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/modpost.o
  CC      scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s
  UPD     scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/file2alias.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/mod/sumversion.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/mod/modpost
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'arch/arm64/kernel/vdso/vdso.lds', needed by 'arch/arm64/kernel/vdso/vdso.so.dbg'.  Stop.
make: *** [arch/arm64/Makefile:164: vdso_prepare] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.5.11-meson64'

Armbian full firmware is installed

apt install armbian-firmware-full
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
armbian-firmware-full is already the newest version (20.05.0-trunk.083).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

One think to note is 

root@aml:~/rtl8189ES_linux# uname -r
5.5.0-rc6-aml-s9xxx

Moreover, sometimes my experience of using the armbian on this tvbox is not good as it hangs alot.

Capture.PNG

45 minutes ago, Siraj said:

make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=

Do you use cross-compilation ?

45 minutes ago, Siraj said:

Moreover, sometimes my experience of using the armbian on this tvbox is not good as it hangs alot.

s912 gets very hot at full load, and the cooling system needs to be redesigned. Sealed plastic case-greatly impairs the operation.

Important. Even if you build a module, you need to make changes to the DTB in order for it to work. To do this, you need to have access to the DTS sources from your model. You can try to pull the DTB from the firmware of the device itself (infa, how to do this, is on the forum) and convert it to DTS, which would get the parameters for your WiFi.

33 minutes ago, balbes150 said:

Built a module for the last kernel (version 20200326). But please note, without adding settings to the DTB and the correct firmware, this will not work.

https://yadi.sk/d/bwAiVN8Gv51Rwg

You mean first extract the dts file of this tvbox while running on andriod and then extract the wifi settings from dts file. Second, convert the meson-gxm-q200.dtb to dts and then add the wifi setting and convert back to .dtb. Then use this dtb file with armbian version 20200326

2 hours ago, balbes150 said:

s912 gets very hot at full load, and the cooling system needs to be redesigned. Sealed plastic case-greatly impairs the operation.

s912 has a big heat sink on it but still it become hot.

what about the heating problem in s905x3? and armbian on s905x3. till now my experience is very good on s905x3 board. 

4 hours ago, Siraj said:

You mean first extract the dts file of this tvbox while running on andriod and then extract the wifi settings from dts file. Second, convert the meson-gxm-q200.dtb to dts and then add the wifi setting and convert back to .dtb. Then use this dtb file with armbian version 20200326

yes

4 hours ago, Siraj said:

what about the heating problem in s905x3?

I don't have the s905x3 hardware, I don't know how it will work.