Eachlink H6 support with mainline kernel

PiotrO

I'm creating this topic to track progress with support for EachLink H6 support.

So far with patches in lines 127..202 in List of patches with patch files I was able to get:

working:

-boot with mainline 5.4 kernel

-HDMI video (with correct DDC)

-HDMI audio

-Ethernet

-GPU mali t720

-USB2/USB3 ports

-CPU temp reading

-DVFS (CPU freq scalling)

-internal IR sensor (MCE remote works nicely)

not tested:

WiFi

Blutooth

This box might be cheap H6 box to become nice mediaplayer as current panfrost started to support really well t720 (I've got fully working GLES UI,  playback with OpenG & yv12 renderers + GLSL based shader deinterlacers: OneFileld. LinearBlend & Kernel on mythtv).

Only issue I had at this moment is insufficient cooling with stock cooler - so if You launch compute intensive tasks and Yours OPP has 1.8GHz cpu clock entries - after some time bow is self-reseting due overheated CPU.

Solution seems to be: 

-lower max CPU clock in OPP tables to 1.4GHz or

-add better cooler...

19 hours ago, PiotrO said:

I'm creating this topic to track progress with support for EachLink H6 support.

So far with patches in lines 127..202 in List of patches with patch files I was able to get:

working:

-boot with mainline 5.4 kernel

-working: HDMI video (with correct DDC)

-working HDMI audio

-working Eth

-working USB2/USB3 ports

-working CPU temp reading

-working DVFS (CPU freq scalling)

-working internal IR sensor (MCE remote works nicelly)

not working:

-mali t720 GPU

It looks like GPU issue is related to getting power-on for GPU.

This board uses not well known AXP805 PMIC but a but cryptic chip with label "A8038 8099330k"

If anybody is interested - I'm attaching android decompiled dts file for this tvbox    

When non-powered t720 GPU will be resolved - this box might be quite good cheap H6 box to become nice mediaplayer as current panfrost started to support really well t720 (I've got fully working GLES UI,  playback with OpenG & yv12 renderers + GLSL based shader deinterlacers: OneFileld. LinearBlend & Kernel on mythtv)

If anybody is willing to work on t720 enablement on this HW - it will be fantastic!

eachlink h6 mini.dts 120.2 kB · 21 downloads

Hi @PiotrO,

I am very happy and enthusiasmatic with your post. I was so sad and disappointed to have Orange Pi 3 but can't use as a hand computer. So, I already have a doubt about the hdmi sound (in my case doesn't work): How could I use your patches or when is it available for all users in Armbian versions?

Best regards.

Belgrado.

9 hours ago, Belgrado said:

Hi @PiotrO,

I am very happy and enthusiasmatic with your post. I was so sad and disappointed to have Orange Pi 3 but can't use as a hand computer. So, I already have a doubt about the hdmi sound (in my case doesn't work): How could I use your patches or when is it available for all users in Armbian versions?

Best regards.

Belgrado.

Well - this is relatively simple: You need to apply list of patches I mentioned in my original post atop of mainline 5.4 kernel and compile. I'm not sure about Orange Pi3 dts - but HDMI sound related device tree fragments are in all H6 platforms include (sun50i-h6.dtsi) so it should work for You I think...

Good luck!

BTW: all kudos for H6 sound should go to codekipper!

He done fantastic work on allwinner ASoC!

4 hours ago, hexdump said:

i doubt that there is really a power problem with the t720 gpu, as i am able to use it with the mali fbdev blob successfully on an eachlink h6 - using gl4es and LIBGL_FB=3 mode as described here: https://github.com/ptitSeb/gl4es/issues/119

best wishes - hexdump

aha!

This is important!

My approach for H6 t720 enablement is following:

in sun50i-h6.dtsi I'm adding gpu node:

<------><------>gpu: gpu@1800000 {
<------><------><------>compatible = "allwinner,sun50i-h6-mali",
<------><------><------><------>     "arm,mali-t720";
<------><------><------>reg = <0x01800000 0x4000>;
<------><------><------>interrupts = <GIC_SPI 84 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
<------><------><------><------>     <GIC_SPI 85 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>,
<------><------><------><------>     <GIC_SPI 83 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;
<------><------><------>interrupt-names = "job", "mmu", "gpu";
<------><------><------>clocks = <&ccu CLK_GPU>, <&ccu CLK_BUS_GPU>;
<------><------><------>clock-names = "core", "bus";
<------><------><------>resets = <&ccu RST_BUS_GPU>;
<------><------><------>status = "disabled";
<------><------>};

and in i.e working ok beelink gs1 tvbox dts - I'm enabling gpu in board dtb:

&gpu {
        mali-supply = <&reg_dcdcc>;
        status = "okay";
};

So far I don't have enabling gpu dtb fragments for eachlink tvbox - because all the time I was thinking PMIC needs to be touched!

What You enlighten me that thing is closer to get than I think :-)

May You pls hint me about Yous DTS entries related to gpu?

I mean:

gpu node entries in sun50i-h6.dtsi

gpu enabling fragment in eachlink H6 dts file (including power regulator entries it uses)

thx in advance!

17 hours ago, Redferne said:

Huge thanks for this! I have one of these boxes just collecting dust. Will it boot an Armbian minted SD or do you need Pheonixcard tricks?

You need to apply list of patches I mentioned in my original post atop of mainline 5.4 kernel and compile. Patches in my Makefile are grouped per functionality so it should be easy to pick those interested for you I think.

PS: I'm not using armbian. I'm doing my own distro.

I put this H6 eachlink related post because armbian community seems to be most resonating & willing to discuss about various ARM SoC aspects :-) 

@PiotrO - btw. has the hdmi problem been fixed meanwhile or is there still the video=HDMI-A-1:e kernel cmdline option required on the eachlink h6 mini? if it is fixed, which patch or commit fixed it in case you know it?

a lot of thanks in advance and best wishes - hexdump

5 hours ago, hexdump said:

@PiotrO - btw. has the hdmi problem been fixed meanwhile or is there still the video=HDMI-A-1:e kernel cmdline option required on the eachlink h6 mini? if it is fixed, which patch or commit fixed it in case you know it?

a lot of thanks in advance and best wishes - hexdump

Just done test on mainline 5.4.1 with removed video=HDMI-A-1:e and it looks like without it hdmi display is not detected :-( 

On 11/28/2019 at 9:19 AM, hexdump said:

i doubt that there is really a power problem with the t720 gpu, as i am able to use it with the mali fbdev blob successfully on an eachlink h6 - using gl4es and LIBGL_FB=3 mode as described here: https://github.com/ptitSeb/gl4es/issues/119

best wishes - hexdump

Hi PiotrO,

Now I am in doubt. Do all H6 have sound working and drivers ok? Do you use it and in your board is it working too? I am very worried about it because since I bought I don't know how to make it work. I am also not high level user. So could help me with what to do?

I using without sound, I would try to use a Bluetooth speakers but in reality it should work as it work when I use OS native of board (android 7.0)

I also wait for new version of armbian with fixes but if it works and you have the way to solve it, please, help me.