Orange Pi PC2 Ubuntu Bionic build hangs randomly

bandesz

I have tested Armbian_19.11.3_Orangepipc2_bionic_current_5.3.9 and Armbian_19.11.3_Orangepipc2_buster_current_5.3.9 images from the official download site. The Debian Buster image is fast and stable. The Ubuntu Bionic build have random hangs on different boot positions. Sometimes works, but after reboot it hangs again randomly. I have burned the the images to the same microsd card. (Toshiba 32GB) I have tested with other microsd cards like Sandisk Extreme 32GB, Samsung EVO+ 32GB. I have the same results. The power supply is enough for the board. (5V 4A) This is not my first orangepi board, so I know how to burn the images to the sdcards.

screenlog.bionic.0 (problems)

screenlog.buster.0 (all ok)

With freshly burned sdcard, sometimes it take a lot of time to boot with the Bionic release. Or simply hangs on different boot positions.

Sometimes it gives the following errors:

IMG_20191130_092258.jpg

IMG_20191130_093426.jpg

usually hangs in this position:

IMG_20191130_093510.jpg

tested with mixza 8gb microsd.

System info: http://ix.io/23bw

root@orangepipc2:~# armbianmonitor -v
Starting package integrity check. This might take some time. Be patient please...

It appears you may have corrupt packages.

This is usually a symptom of filesystem corruption caused by SD cards or eMMC
dying or burning the OS image to the installation media went wrong.

The following changes from packaged state files were detected:

/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libcurl-gnutls.so.4.5.0
/usr/bin/systool
/usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/10-globally-managed-devices.conf

root@orangepipc2:~# armbianmonitor -u
System diagnosis information will now be uploaded to http://ix.io/23bw
Please post the URL in the forum where you've been asked for.

after restart:

IMG_20191130_153010.thumb.jpg.d117f5e3913ebaafee013d6e1ce7c319.jpg

I have built and tested Ubuntu Eoan with Linux 5.3.13-sunxi64, no random hangs on boot with the same microSD, same Orangepi PC2, same power supply. I have restarted several times with buster and eoan image, they are works great, no hangs, no freezes. Only bionic build is problematic.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

What if you build bionic image on your own ? Is that making troubles too?

Yes.

Now I compile ubuntu disco image for testing. But eoan is stable. I have restarted several times with no problems. Same with debian buster. With bionic, it hangs several times more than half of the cases. Rarely starts normally, in this case it works without problems. But after restarting it, the problems come again.

This is quite odd since low level features on all variants are the same. Perhaps there is a bug in systemd which would be (possible but) strange. To verify this theory you will need to make an image and force recreating of rootfs.

I assume it hang the way you described in previous posts?

35 minutes ago, Igor said:

This is quite odd since low level features on all variants are the same. Perhaps there is a bug in systemd which would be (possible but) strange. To verify this theory you will need to make an image and force recreating of rootfs.

I assume it hang the way you described in previous posts?

Yes.

Tomorrow, I will test the freshly built bionic and disco images, and I will create serial logs, hope to help to find the bug.

Now I have 2 boards: Orange Pi PC2 v1.1 and Orange Pi One v1.1, the orangepione with the official bionic server image (Armbian_19.11.3_Orangepione_bionic_current_5.3.9) works perfectly.

Did anyone else get this error?

How to make force recreating rootfs?  ROOT_FS_CREATE_ONLY="FORCE" ?