Reboot results in poweroff on Olimex Lime2-emmc and Olimex Micro

technik007_cz

I have had similar issues what somebody had on this forum but I cannot post reply because the topic is closed.
But I found solution. You need to downgrade u-boot with following commands.

For Olimex Micro:

apt-get install linux-u-boot-next-micro=5.60

Tested on ARMBIAN 5.60 stable Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS 4.19.84-sunxi

For Olimex Lime2:

apt-get install linux-u-boot-lime2-emmc-next=5.30

Tested on Ubuntu Bionic with Armbian Linux 4.19.81-sunxi

45 minutes ago, technik007_cz said:

Firstly htop show 1 cpu only with linux-u-boot-micro-default versions 5.60 and 5.38. Secondly it causes the reboot problem.

Version linux-u-boot-micro-next=5.60 which is the latest now is OK and finishes reboot completely.

I will test lime2 soon...

That is expected/known.

Download latest image and use that (old versions are not supported) unless you know exactly what you are doing. Which kernel / u-boot goes where ...

Test of Lime2

Ubuntu Bionic with Armbian Linux 4.19.81-sunxi

linux-u-boot-lime2-next=5.90 (latest) NOK

linux-u-boot-lime2-next=5.85 NOK

linux-u-boot-lime2-default=5.90 (latest) NOK

linux-u-boot-lime2-default=5.85 NOK

linux-u-boot-lime2-current=19.11.3 NOK

linux-u-boot-lime2-emmc-next=5.31 NOK

linux-u-boot-lime2-emmc-next=5.30 NOK

linux-u-boot-lime2-emmc-next=5.25 NOK

NOK - cannot finish reboot and reset of board is necessary

Interesting results, I could not find for my setup where I am using root on nfs and custom image working u-boot.
I will do more tests but with boot image on emmc and not on microsd like in this test.
Note: the first test where linux-u-boot-lime2-emmc-next=5.30 I found working for my setup is boot image placed on emmc.

I found working u-boot for Lime2 running on Bionic, microsdcard and kernel 4.19.81
It is:

https://apt.armbian.com/pool/main/l/linux-u-boot-lime2-next/linux-u-boot-next-lime2_5.38_armhf.deb

I tried to retest u-boot for emmc board and it did not work. I did it differently than last time when I had an microsd inserted and after reinstalling of u-boot was whole microsd copied to mmc.

In this test microsd was removed and booted from emmc. After few tries, reinstalls and reboots I found message from installer saying it wrote u-boot to /dev/mmclk0. Problem is this device does not exist. Emmc module is under /dev/mmcblk1.

So I need to extract binary file from *.deb package and write it manually or return back to previous method.

Hi I seem to have the same issue with my Olimex micro board on the latest ARMBIAN Buster build 5.4.20-sunxi.

I recently upgraded from ARMBIAN Stretch which rebooted fine. I don't know how to downgrade the u-boot version within Buster and whether this is a good fix.

Please let me know if you want me to run any tests.

Hi, you can display installed package via command:

aptitude search u-boot | grep micro

Then you can display version of selected package:

(ending could be -current or -dev, select one from output of previous command starting with "i" - like "installed")

apt-cache policy linux-u-boot-micro-next

Then you can test different version of u-boot via command like this:

apt-get install linux-u-boot-micro-next=5.90

You testing u-boot, so always shutdown your device completely between tests and remove power cable from it.

In my case on my Olimex micro when I run those commands it is output like this:

aptitude search u-boot | grep micro
p  linux-u-boot-micro-current - Uboot loader 2019.10
ih linux-u-boot-micro-next - Uboot loader 2018.05

apt-cache policy linux-u-boot-micro-next
linux-u-boot-micro-next:
  Installed: 5.60
  Candidate: 5.60
  Version table:
 *** 5.60 100
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

So there is the only one version available, but you can still experiment with "current" version of kernel and u-boot or you can try "current" u-boot on "next" kernel if you want experiment. For changing kernel version it is good to do it via armbian-config tool.

Ou, great I found old script to download u-boot for my micro board. It does download, install and the u-boot version will be prevented (holded) from upgrades. So @Artenverho you are welcome to test this first before experimenting.

#  linux-u-boot-micro-next=5.60 #
apt remove linux-u-boot-micro-current -y; \
cd /tmp && wget --no-check-certificate https://193.40.103.96/pool/main/l/linux-u-boot-micro-next/linux-u-boot-next-micro_5.60_armhf.deb \
&& dpkg -i linux-u-boot-next-micro_5.60_armhf.deb && \
for PACKAGE in linux-u-boot-micro-next; \
do apt-mark hold $PACKAGE; aptitude hold $PACKAGE; done

With latest boot loader 2020.04 and current 5.4.y kernel works as expected. Reboot, reboots.

Lime 2 with 16gb eMMC REV K

1 hour ago, sgufa said:

Hi, did you try o attach a LiPo Battery to a Lime2 with latest uboot 2020.04 and kernel 5.4 and see if it shuts down correctly or it reboots?

With or without.

14 hours ago, Igor said:

I made another test and for me it works properly. http://ix.io/2ocx

Hello Igor, thanks for the reply. Could you please share "/etc/modules" content and your dts if they're different from the standard build? Do you use any additional overlay file?

4 minutes ago, Igor said:

I don't use this board - its in the automated test rig running unchanged stock Armbian. I also only have one revision of this board. We need to wait for someone else's test.

ok, thank you for the reply. Hope to get other tests. Cheers:beer: