Pinebook Pro

WZ9V

If anyone wants instructions for updating on debian/ubuntu as well as arch  see:

latest keyboard updater  with instructions for debian and arch..

Also,  I have been running the pcm720  u-boot  that @lanefu  mentioned  since the end of July,  since it allows me to boot my nvme.   I have played a bit with trying to work  the patches/versions into the build system,  but haven't been successful as of yet.     

See here for the source   https://github.com/pcm720/u-boot-build-scripts.     There is one atf patch (which we may already have) and 4 u-boot patches.  It is using u-boot 20.07,  and a reasonably recent atf.   I am rather confused about  in which confs/patch directories I need to make the changes for current and dev builds.  Is it possible for someone more up on the build system to take a look?    

5 hours ago, belfastraven said:

I am rather confused about  in which confs/patch directories I need to make the changes for current and dev builds.  Is it possible for someone more up on the build system to take a look?    

Yeah this part was hurting my brain too....:wacko:

Did create a task for it tho.  https://armbian.atlassian.net/browse/AR-442

Edited by lanefu
link jira task

1 hour ago, lanefu said:

i'm still having periodic issues with Wifi performance...  hows wifi working for others?

Are you seeing lots of dropped packets on wifi or?? Any tips you could give on how to confirm if wifi is working as it should or not? wavemon?

For me, I wanted to thank you for linking the u-boot updates, they have booting from sdcard working again (like you I am booting Manjaro from SD for some comparisons).

I have 2 main issues with armbian on the pbp: waking from suspend gives a black screen, need to force down the machine and restart, and no sound. I tried some with alsamixer but haven't succeeded on getting anything out of the speakers or headphone jack. Not sure if there are some additional patches I need for these issues? Both seem to now be resolved on Manjaro, but a few months ago suspend wasn't working there.... so maybe things will trickle into Armbian.

Thanks again for the attention to the pbp, I think it is strategically important for a good Armbian port for it as, in my opinion, it is the best Ubuntu base option around.

1 hour ago, rik-shaw said:

I have 2 main issues with armbian on the pbp: waking from suspend gives a black screen, need to force down the machine and restart, and no sound. I tried some with alsamixer but haven't succeeded on getting anything out of the speakers or headphone jack

UPDATE: I used armbian-config to switch to the most recent 4.4 legacy kernel and all issues seem resolved: wake from suspend works (red led comes on when suspended), sound works, and video acceleration in youtube works (previously was very "stuttery" but now seems smooth).

So I am happy staying at this 4.4 kernel as everything seems quite usable. Not sure if others are running the newer 5.8.6 or not and if they have any of the above issues with it?

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10694&page=6 ,, post 58 & on

Oddly I had a great deal of trouble getting anything but black screen, probably booted 'cause capslock toggle worked (leds)

The bsp uboots gave 'hard locks' (mrfix, pcm), now using samueldr, 1 in 5 boots

My pbp is a bit unusual, emmc uboot area blanked, so forced to use SD uboot

If sleep to mem works, doesn't matter if SD is slow, resume to desktop is 10-12 s, another 10 for wifi

But I have not found how to resume armbian, so no idea how well it does

OK, a bit more update, I did try a nightly, mostly works OK

one boot(early) needed a vt, black screen and

oddly, caps,num were not active so I didn't think it had booted, well, give it a try,, whoa!! whats this!

One did a hard lock, the first IIRR

Since it has been booting without problem

(This is using its own uboot)

Sleep, so far is only s2idle, deep fails to wake

Despite ACPI and a change to legacy uboot, have not gotten S3 sleep

S3 on manjaro, elementary, fedora,, sleep is 7%/d, fast  too,,

so makes running off SD feasible (if you're not a reboot addict)

Any suggestions for S3?

Anything besides sleep.conf?

UK (ISO) Keyboard problem - terminal won't display a 'pound'

As a long-time user of various flavours of Armbian on headless sytems (OrangePi, NanoPi ...) I couldn't resist installing it on my new Pinebook Pro.

Well it works like a dream and I am just sooo impressed by all the work that has clearly been done - audio works fine, armbian-config had me set up booting from emmc with my rootfs on nvme SSD in no time at all.

BUT - one weird problem that has me baffled...

I'm so used to headless Armbian boards that setting up keyboard and localisation is almost automatic to me - but can I get the PBPro keyboard to generate a 'pound' (GBP, '£') in a terminal window- no I cant!!

I've set everything up as I think it should be - and every other key on the (ISO) keyboard is correct - but open a terminal window and shift-3 (which should be '£') displays nothing at all.

Other applications (Firefox, LibreOffice ...) will display the £ just fine.

Can anyone give me any clues???

Thanks!!

When you speak about opening a terminal window,  do you mean on the desktop?  or do you mean opening a terminal console with  CNTL-ALT-F(some-number).  The mechanisms are different.  For the  CNTL-ALT-F(some-number) ,  if I set  the /etc/default/keyboard file so that 

XDBMODEL="pc105"

XDBLAYOUT="gb"

XDBVARIANT="intl"

I get the pound sign at shift-3.

For the desktop console, it is controlled by whatever desktop manager you are using, I believe.   So if in the desktop  settings you have the pc105 UK keyboard selected,  that should be working.   If it works elsewhere on the desktop,  but not in the desktop terminal--could it have something to do with the particular font or character set used for the terminal?  

just FYI I am using groovy with a cinnamon desktop,  I have an ISO keyboard,  and I can indeed display the GBP 

2 hours ago, belfastraven said:

When you speak about opening a terminal window,  do you mean on the desktop?  or do you mean opening a terminal console with  CNTL-ALT-F(some-number).  The mechanisms are different.  For the  CNTL-ALT-F(some-number) ,  if I set  the /etc/default/keyboard file so that 

XDBMODEL="pc105"

XDBLAYOUT="gb"

XDBVARIANT="intl"

I get the pound sign at shift-3.

For the desktop console, it is controlled by whatever desktop manager you are using, I believe.   So if in the desktop  settings you have the pc105 UK keyboard selected,  that should be working.   If it works elsewhere on the desktop,  but not in the desktop terminal--could it have something to do with the particular font or character set used for the terminal?  

just FYI I am using groovy with a cinnamon desktop,  I have an ISO keyboard,  and I can indeed display the GBP 

Thanks for the input.

I was originally referring to a terminal window on the desktop. When I read your message I looked at /etc/default/keyboard and found all kinds of weirdness originated from I've no idea where!!
I rebooted, ran armbian-config and re-entered all of my usual settings, rebooted again and it's now behaving (well - sort of!).

My /etc/default/keyboard now looks like yours and a terminal window opened on the desktop now behaves correctly.

If I open a console terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2 say) then shift-3 still does something weird - it appears like it prints a hash and then a CR - but for now that's not an issue I can afford time to look at.

So it looks like I had some corruption in the keyboard settings file - and as I remember I did have the system shut down on me (flat battery) half-way through some configuration :-)

Interesting that you say you are running 'groovy' - presumably that is now an option in the armbian build system? I've not built by own versions for some time. How does it run on the PBP?

Hmmm  if your Ctrl-Alt-F2 prints a #,  I believe it is somehow using the us (or perhaps ANSI) keyboard layout.  That is what all of my other keyboards show  by default--the PBP is my only ISO keyboard device.    I'm certainly not an expert on any of this.  If you want to build groovy,  I believe you need to used EXPERT=yes on the ./compile.sh command.  I have done a dev build,  which builds kernel 5.9(.1 right now)  .  I did a console rather than a desktop build so I could play with installing a different desktop.   Groovy runs very well so far for me.    I am booting the NVME from SPI flash.   I installed an armbian uboot myself on  on SPI flash ,,  but I can see that armbian-config is being enabled to do that, too.  

Right now,  I am running without sound,  since I have the UART switch flipped,  and am very much "over"  removing 10 tiny screws every time I want to open the back.  Someone on the Pine64 forum just posted that he had been able to use a spare internal uart and a micro usb-uart adapter to bring  uart out without using the switch.  I think THAT would be really advantageous:-)

15 hours ago, belfastraven said:

Hmmm  if your Ctrl-Alt-F2 prints a #,  I believe it is somehow using the us (or perhaps ANSI) keyboard layout.  That is what all of my other keyboards show  by default--the PBP is my only ISO keyboard device. 

Yeah - I'll look at this again when I get chance but it's not a big issue for me now - I don't often need to type '£' in a text console :-)

If you want to build groovy,  I believe you need to used EXPERT=yes on the ./compile.sh command.  I have done a dev build,  which builds kernel 5.9(.1 right now)  .  I did a console rather than a desktop build so I could play with installing a different desktop.   Groovy runs very well so far for me.

I may give that a go - I have a build environment set up in a VM (somewhere! ;-) )

Although I've done loads of headless/server stuff this is my first real venture into Armbian desktops. If you build a console image can you then install a choice of desktops from armbian-config or do you have to do it all manually?

I am booting the NVME from SPI flash.   I installed an armbian uboot myself on  on SPI flash ,,  but I can see that armbian-config is being enabled to do that, too. 

I saw the armbian-config option to boot from SPI flash but was a bit scared of trying it in case I screwed the SPI if it went wrong, leaving me having to learn how to fix a 'brick'.
If I can boot from SPI to NVME I can then use the EMMC for something else :-)

Thanks for all your input :-)

Re building different desktops: The capability to build various desktops through the build system is being worked on  and tested now.  From my initial look,  it seems like many desktops  including gnome, kde, cinnamon, lxde xfce and various others are being thought about for inclusion.   I just started to try to play a bit with desktop (as opposed to master) branch of the github.     Obviously,  this is not released yet...   

9 hours ago, belfastraven said:

Re building different desktops: The capability to build various desktops through the build system is being worked on  and tested now.  From my initial look,  it seems like many desktops  including gnome, kde, cinnamon, lxde xfce and various others are being thought about for inclusion.   I just started to try to play a bit with desktop (as opposed to master) branch of the github.     Obviously,  this is not released yet...   

I expect first beta versions to be around in 1-2 months. Currently there are three people working something around and with some help, this time can be shrinked down. Things are still in pretty rough state which is why we, in this stage, welcome only developers, that doesn't asks user level questions ;) Chat about development is happening on IRC, #armbian-devel

The plan is not to provide all those desktops, but targets will exists as "not supported" waiting if someone has a desire to make them supporterd. We will officially focus on two, one lightweight (XFCE) and one modern. Perhaps another one, depends on the maintaining complexity. Current maintaing crew certainly have no resources to maintain them all.

On 10/22/2020 at 1:54 PM, GeorgeP said:

If you build a console image can you then install a choice of desktops from armbian-config or do you have to do it all manually?

Currently we only provide one Armbian desktop but the idea is to provide upgrades for those we are making now. You can of course try to install any 3rd party desktop - some will fire up nicely, some will not work without additional tweaking.