Pinebook Pro

WZ9V

4 hours ago, WZ9V said:

Is there any plan to port to the Pinebook Pro?

Only if the devs get one, or somebody else takes it on him/herself to support it. I hope the people at Pine64 will be willing.
It shouldn't be too hard to make it work I think. But I ain't the expert on that. Enough other RK3399 boards. And the PineBook is also kind of supported. So why not.

12 hours ago, NicoD said:

Only if the devs get one, or somebody else takes it on him/herself to support it. I hope the people at Pine64 will be willing.

For support, need real equipment, but alas, not everywhere can buy it.

If there was a direct shipment from China, it would expand the buying opportunities for everyone.

I ordered a second PBP wth the ANSI keyboard. Should be here shortly. I am happy to send my ISO keyboard version to the Armbian developers.

Just let me know where to ship it. It'll be coming from the United States.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was running MrFixIt default image provided on the eMMC for a while, but I was wondering how Armbian would worked.

So, after updating U-Boot with MrFixIt, it is now able to boot from SDCard without disturbing eMMC installation.

At first, I've tried 5.5.y, but it didn't worked. Then, I've built a Legacy using 4.4.197-1236-rockchip-ayufan, and it was working, I'm using it since few weeks ...

I'm wondering what are the differences, I would need to attach my Debug Serial dongle using the audio jack, but it is hidden in some of my moving boxes unopened since 18 months ...

Is there someone who has a PinbookPro along with a Debug Serial dongle and willing to give some time for debugging ?

54 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

I'm wondering what are the differences, I would need to attach my Debug Serial dongle using the audio jack, but it is hidden in some of my moving boxes unopened since 18 months ...

Is there someone who has a PinbookPro along with a Debug Serial dongle and willing to give some time for debugging ?

You can have mine. But things might be complicated. I've seen that my PBP stopped booting when the serial cable was connected during boot. When the PBP has came up properly and I have then connected the serial adapter, everything looked fine and I've got a working console login.

1 hour ago, umiddelb said:

You can have mine.

No worries ! I will open the unopened boxes, even if it take days ...

1 hour ago, umiddelb said:

I've seen that my PBP stopped booting when the serial cable was connected during boot.

That is a bit strange since the goal is to debug boot process ...

Ok ! I found the proper box where my Pine Serial cable was located ...

I've figure out that a DEV build (aka 5.5.y) didn't have any PinebookPro DTB compiled, so I temporarily took the one of RockPro64, and booted properly, but only thru serial, LDC display is of course never initialized !

So, next step is to create an actual working DEV PinebookPro DTB, because with a Legacy (aka 4.4.y) PinebookPro DTB, the kernel freeze at some point ...

You might want to use the  dts from  Toobias Schramm's Manjaro source  Most things are working very well.   Someone else has built a mainline u-boot which  can be run from Spi flash (but doesn't support NVME boot yet--an earlier version based on Rockchip does.)  Manjaro for Pinebookpro is now running with 5.5 rc-something kernl,   The only thing that I have found not to work is suspend,  which people are still trying to make work on mainline.   Check the  Pine64 forum for more info.  I had started to try to test an armbian build,  but it takes me forever to figure out  the scripts.   

I think mainline uboot with mainline kernel is a good way to go...

If any one needs any testing/test building  let me know. 

A note about the Pine64 USB serial cable, it seems to be a 5v not the 3.3v as advertised. This has come up on the Pine64 forums.

I have noticed that with the adaptor plugged in Wifi becomes erratic/fails. A few odd boot problems as well. I have yet to try a 3.3v TTL adaptor but without the Pine64 USB -> headphone adaptor the system is quite stable. 

8 hours ago, Sean said:

A note about the Pine64 USB serial cable, it seems to be a 5v not the 3.3v as advertised. This has come up on the Pine64 forums.

I have noticed that with the adaptor plugged in Wifi becomes erratic/fails. A few odd boot problems as well. I have yet to try a 3.3v TTL adaptor but without the Pine64 USB -> headphone adaptor the system is quite stable. 

As the adapter is working when connected to a booted PBP, I suppose that the automatic voltage detection in the TTL adaptor does not work reliably and switches to 5V when connected to a switched off PBP.

10 hours ago, Sean said:

A note about the Pine64 USB serial cable, it seems to be a 5v not the 3.3v as advertised.

My Serial Debug cable is a custom made one built more than 2 years ago when I got my old Pinebook.

It is using a stereo plug along with a normal 3V CH340 USB-TTL Serial adaptor.

The serial cable i got from Pine always worked for me in u-boot  (some of the distros seem to disable serial output in the kernel, or have it mis-configured)  I did not have the problems some people have mentioned.  The cable  was not very well put together, however,  and was too short for my comfortable  use.  I got one of these EZsync.021,  it was pricey,  but much more substantially made with a 1.8 meter cable.    

I will try to build first by using the Manjaro kerne lsource for mainline (since I already know that that runs well) and mainline u-boot (cuurent--20.1)with ATF (master--some  changes were made in December which fix some power issues on the rk3399 chip)  .    If I can get that going,  I'll see what patches need to be generated  for vanilla mainline build.   I believe some of the changes have been submitted already for inclusion in mainline.  

The rockpro64 is running fine for me on the "current" kernel with an experimental current uboot that will boot (from SPI ) the NVME.      I believe much of the work for the pinebook has actually been done,  it's a matter of getting into the build system. 

In general,  I am very happy with the notebook.  In some areas, though, I don't think the build quality was great.  Using tiny m2 screws for the bottom,  having an sd card reader into which it is difficult to insert the card (and which will shoot the card across the room if you are not careful while removing it)  and sending  an NVME adapter which actually can't be used as is with a 2280 size NVME (I had to take a hacksaw to mine)  sometimes make usage difficult , especially for people like me with not great manual dexterity. 

20 hours ago, umiddelb said:

As the adapter is working when connected to a booted PBP, I suppose that the automatic voltage detection in the TTL adaptor does not work reliably and switches to 5V when connected to a switched off PBP.

With a different (and well known working at 3,3V) adapter, the PBP boots up fine. I can intercept the boot sequence and play around with the u-boot console. Next thing is to fix the serial console speed mismatch.

interesting, for me it only happens on mainline not on bsp, but I don't see any major differences in DT (it's written in a different style, but nothing scary about it). I don't really know why the "soundcard" pollutes UART - it's obvious from the schematics that it can happen but there's no reason to do something for the sound output at all as long we're only in the console. Well on my todo list for later - I don't care much about sound yet.

@belfastraven this happened on the Manjaro build (I just picked out some parts of it to integrate it in our 5.4 sources)? Someone might then inform Tobias Schramm, it seems he prepares it for sending parts upstream so he may wanna know it - to avoid getting shit-talked on LKML again (https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/5/11/107)... :rolleyes:

Someone knows which bootloader Manjaro uses? Mrfixits or own build? I currently work with eMMC and stock OS removed and have some odds getting the display working so some inspiration would be appreciated. :P

Currently ,Manjaro is using a mainlineu-boot  build  (20.1 with pretty current atf)  that was initially developed by someone else:  see here https://eno.space/blog/2020/01/pbp-uboot.  That is what I am currently running.  

Since it is now possible to mainline boot from NVME (with SPI flash) on the rockpro64 ,  I hope we can get that going for this device also.  It seems like mainline u-boot now uses  the normal device DTS with some u-boot additions.   I'm a novice at this and don't understand exactly what differences are need for u-boot. 

I thought when I initially used the device with the default build (mtfixsit2001) I did not get any sound when the serial console switch  was thrown.  ON manjaro,  I would get sound ... which surprised me.   ..

i will try to notifiy Tobias Schramm. 

@chwe--I saw your comment on the issue I sent to Manjaro.  I'm just curious:  kernel output on the laptop screen is working fine on the Manjaro build.  Are you referring to the u-boot output?.   

BTW.  they are using this u-boot  https://git.eno.space/pbp-uboot.git...which now has a branch for NVME booting,  I believe.... .

24 minutes ago, Wizzard said:

Hello again. I am running Armbian Ubuntu 20.04 on my PBP and the other problem I see is the lack of battery percentage. Is there any way how to fix it? Or just to wait for newer kernel? Thanks!

the newer kernel will just be worse for that at the moment.. cw2015 (the charger driver) didn't land upstream yet and the first iterations from Tobias at manjaro currently throw some errors in dmesg. Pinebook is wip and IMO early wip so don't expect the nice features to be done soon. Btw camera is another one I simply refuse to work on until basic stuff is sorted out..

So if you want it, you've to figure it out on your own.

13 minutes ago, belfastraven said:

kernel output on the laptop screen is working fine on the Manjaro build.  Are you referring to the u-boot output?.   

I know.. and I don't really get why ours refuse to work... :lol: nope at the moment no display output in mainline with armbian. You're happily invited to solve this:

https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1759

adding the eDP to the kernel bootargs btw didn' help for me. But I'm quite sure we had something like video=eDP-1:1920x1080@60 to the bootargs, either over DT or with armbianEnv.txt or bootscript.. ( adding @martinayotte and @TonyMac32 ). And for u-boot, if we don't use the the 2017 bsp u-boot I don't think we see display output soon for the pinebook, as far as I'm aware the edp driver didn't make into upstream u-boot yet and at least I don't try to forward port this mess from u-boot 2017 into upstream.

@chwe--I just found this in @ayufan's repository:

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-kernel/commit/afadea9477b7df1daae04389f8f1fa0f9b041c5c"

"

stdout-path = "serial2:1500000n8";

// disable stdout-path as it causes instability due

// to sound card power leak

//stdout-path = "serial2:1500000n8";  "

The Manjaro boot args don't include stdout-path,  or earlycon=uart8250 but do include console=ttys2.      Maybe if I get brave,  after dinner I will try removing that from the boot arguments.... 

The current Manjaro boot.txt  doesn't show any video argument BTW.  Maybe something in the config or dts?  I will try to look after I check the sound stuff.

17 minutes ago, belfastraven said:

The current Manjaro boot.txt  doesn't show any video argument BTW.  Maybe something in the config or dts?  I will try to look after I check the sound stuff.

it is in the boottext or boot.cmd file somewhere...  I can't boot manjaro images at the moment.. their bootscript expects a connected eMMC module which I removed on purpose (to ensure seeing always our bootloader does the lifting during boot and to see if this one works)

20 minutes ago, belfastraven said:

// disable stdout-path as it causes instability due

// to sound card power leak

//stdout-path = "serial2:1500000n8";  "

our bootscript will bring UART2 back then over bootargs.. without it you won't have any output on UART... :P

but yeah those bits gave me the idea that something with sound is fishy that's why I disabled es83xx in the first term..

welcome to the u-boot/kernel nightmare... :lol:

18959188.jpg

I post this image from time to time.. when the nightmare hits me again.. :D

btw if you want do dive into this just apply my patch from the PR into your buildscript and start messing around.. Most of the stuff tobias applied to his 5.4 kernel should be in as well.. and if I missed something, great let us know.. :D

It is funny that just today I am experiencing a problem with upgrade:

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.133ubuntu13) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.210-rockchip64
E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/btrfs failed with return 1.
update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.4.210-rockchip64 with

Maybe anyone could point me to the solution? I tried removing btrfs package, but the it is still the same.

I tried removing the 64-bit kernel package and installed non-64 bit package but it obviously does not boot :)

edit: it was solved by the latest update :)

@chwe,  Try this (on manjaro pinebook-pro dts) to get sound and uart:

I think I got it from mrfixit2001,  if not it was ayufan....    This now works for me--  just giving "patch" form so you can see where the changes are....

-- 5.5.rk3399-pinebook-pro.dts    2020-02-05 11:06:24.354098350 -0500
+++ my.v5.5-rc7-panfrost-fixes.rk3399-pinebook-pro.dts    2020-02-05 10:58:51.545953609 -

@@ -197,10 +197,12 @@

simple-audio-card,cpu {
             sound-dai = <&i2s1>;
+            system-clock-frequency = <12288000>;
         };

simple-audio-card,codec {
             sound-dai = <&es8316>;
+            system-clock-frequency = <12288000>;
         };
     };

@@ -838,7 +840,7 @@
     status = "okay";