Orange pi 4

Jack953

I had time to test my newly written DT for the orangepi4:

• sound still doesn't work (even when I replaced the bits to use rt5651) I guess some of the mic/headphone definitions in the DT are still wrong..
  • wifi works with network manager :P
  • ethernet works as well
  • both USB2 are tested and working (I've the NPU version so I didn't try to look at USB3 atm, may or may not work who knows)
  • dmesg shows still some errors to wifi but I've no idea if this is related to the opi at all or just fall out from the normal driver situation here
  • hdmi is untested yet (i've no spare device for doing it)

actually the DT should also support eDP over USB-C as far as I've saw in the schematics the opi4 should do it as well.. this should be possible and it's done similar to the pinebook, obviously I've also no spare eDP over usb-c display... :lol:

so for @piter75 if you want to mess with it.. here is an updated version of it.. And for the less experienced ones.. you might not wanna mess with it yet.. at least on the powertree there's nothing horrible wrong so that the board would not boot up.. :rolleyes:

opi4b_dts_v1.dts

On 1/29/2020 at 10:10 PM, Igor said:

My default PSU is 5A which is why I didn't notice. Experiments tells that 2.5A is already good enough ;) 

I should have added the PSU info I guess then :)

• Orange PI 4, v1.3 board
  • model 4 (non NPU), no eMMC, booting straight from SD
  • PSU: 5V 3A (official RPi 4 USB-C PSU) and 5V 4.5A (official Thinkpad X1 Carbon USB-C PSU)
  • tested with downloadable Armbian_20.02.0-rc1_Orangepi4_buster_current_5.4.14_desktop.img (2020-01-25)
  • tested with manual build using current code base in GitHub (master branch), with Buster + 5.4.y kernel, server, standard

As the board is working with a build from Xunlong, I don't think the PSU is the problem here - even if I would love the solution to be that easy.

And for the time being, I can't help much as I'm still expecting to receive a new UART dongle...

5 hours ago, _ppiotr3k said:

As the board is working with a build from Xunlong, I don't think the PSU is the problem here

@_ppiotr3k Did you by any chance use the same SD card for Armbian that was used for Xunlong image before?

If so, try wiping either all of the SD card (it will take a long time) or the last 33 sectors of it before writing Armbian's image there.

This will clear the recovery GPT partition table from the end of SD card.

This partition table makes Rockchip's loader trying to use GPT layout for booting - which we don't use. 

root@xyz:~# fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk1 | head -1
Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 29.7 GiB, 31914983424 bytes, 62333952 sectors

# 62333952 - 33 = 62333919

root@xyz:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1 seek=62333919

I think a better solution is to switch u-boot's preloader to SPL/TPL from DDR/miniloader but I want to test how it behaves with Xunlong's original image in eMMC.

The precompiled buster minimal image (kernel 5.4.16), which does not require above steps, is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ScMJN0VLIkuPjgnqhudK0egH42_cP1w3

About temperatures... Sayd that I never used armbian with other boards...

In this first test image, the soc is quite hot (with small heatsink).

I think that by default, the board should be safe to use without fan / heatsink.

Then there could be some preset optimized for use with heatsink, fan.

Also interesting would be overclock and underclock.

I think about to buy the Orange Pi 4. And yes i know the Armbian is in development :) But does someone know the  format for a heatsink? So i could buy a heatsink seperatly. And if i am correct goes the power with the USB-C connector? I have a few 45watt USB-C (5V 3A) chargers. Are these good enough?  I use now the Orange Pi power supply 5V 3A and that works a lot more stable then a time ago i use a standard 5V 2A usb charger with usb cord. :) 

6 hours ago, martinayotte said:

I've use cheap heatsink purchased on eBay, its measures are around 2cm x 2cm and has adhesive, it seems to do the job.

Thank you for your information!

The price difference with the Raspberry Pi 4 is not really big (for the 4GB) is arround the €10,- but i can not run Armbian on a Raspberry PI 4. But if need to pay taxes... hmm ;)

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to say that i'm really happy with this board.:)

Even I haven't solved the reboot issue yet, it works perfectly as my new home server.

mini pci-e to 2xsata - works.

Usb-connected hdd - works.

wifi - works.

And the performance is enough for simultaneous work of rtorrent, samba and live media streaming with Plex Media Server.

Default Orange Pi 4 PSU is 3A 5v.

As a heatsink I use a heatsink from old video card with a cheap raspberry pi 5v cooling fan, temperatures holding from 28C to 47C.

And the most nice thing - looks like everyithing works very stable.

7 minutes ago, Pongotto said:

My board ignores the microSD card.

What is installed in you eMMC ?

Because eMMC has priority over SDCard ...

If the U-Boot currently present in eMMC is able to be stopped by keystroke on Serial Debug port, you can do "mmc list" to figure out the SDCard slot number, and do "setenv devnum <N>" followed by "run mmc_boot", it will then boot from SDCard .

2 hours ago, martinayotte said:

What is installed in you eMMC ?

Because eMMC has priority over SDCard ...

If the U-Boot currently present in eMMC is able to be stopped by keystroke on Serial Debug port, you can do "mmc list" to figure out the SDCard slot number, and do "setenv devnum <N>" followed by "run mmc_boot", it will then boot from SDCard .

Hi martin,

Actually I have two Lexar 633x 128 GB microSD, one with Orange Pi Ubuntu (upgraded via Ubuntu Ports repository for fun to Focal 20.04 alpha/beta) and one that I use for Armbian. In the eMMC I installed a standard not configured Orange Pi Ubuntu 18.04.

If I use the Orange Pi Ubuntu microSD the OPi4 boots the microSD.

If i use the Armbian Ubuntu microSD the OPi4 boots the eMMC.

With the previous version the OPi4 recognized the microSD but I had no video output over HDMI.

I tried different times and I downloaded the last ISO two times. I'm not very lucky with OPi4 and Armbian this time :)

6 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

As I said above about eMMC priority is still true for any Rockchip SoC.

Did you tried using Serial Debug to stop U-Boot and force it to boot from SDCard ?

But I don't understand why if i use the Orange Pi Ubuntu microSD the priority became the microSD. 

I don't have a serial cable to test.

Do you suggest to clean the eMMC before I launch the Armbian microSD?

44 minutes ago, Pongotto said:

But I don't understand why if i use the Orange Pi Ubuntu microSD the priority became the microSD.

Maybe this is because of partition scheme which probably different. Armbian is using a single partition and have a /boot folder which contains kernel/dtb/uinitrd.

I don't have a serial cable to test.

Any hobbyist should have at least one, they are so cheap ($0.99), and useful for debugging. Personally, I've around 15 of them, so I don't need to disconnect it when debugging another board.

Do you suggest to clean the eMMC before I launch the Armbian microSD?

If you don't care about losing it current content, Yes, you could erase the U-Boot of the eMMC, at least the first MB, using "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=1024 count=1024"

On 2/25/2020 at 6:10 PM, martinayotte said:

Maybe this is because of partition scheme which probably different. Armbian is using a single partition and have a /boot folder which contains kernel/dtb/uinitrd.

Any hobbyist should have at least one, they are so cheap ($0.99), and useful for debugging. Personally, I've around 15 of them, so I don't need to disconnect it when debugging another board.

If you don't care about losing it current content, Yes, you could erase the U-Boot of the eMMC, at least the first MB, using "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk2 bs=1024 count=1024"

Hi Martin,

I tried with 0218 and 0229 versions anfter cleaning my eMMC but I have the old problem: no HDMI output.

I ordered today the serial debug cable waiting for the HDMI output support, I would like to use my OPi4 with my Nexdock in the future :)

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Jack953 said:

the last image (29/2) doesnt boot here !

need more details here ! ;-)

The image (buster_legacy 20.02.3) boot fine for me.

Did you write it to the card that was previously used for Xunlong's BSP?

If so you need to wipe the secondary GPT partition that is left over after BSP install.

You can find the procedure here.

With the existence of GPT Rockchip's loader tries to read trust according to non standard coordinates found in GPT :(

12 hours ago, Jack953 said:

ok then there is a compatibily problem with you monitor... is it 16:9 ?

Yes, but I have no problem with official Orange Pi Ubuntu (from a different microSD card, I erased the eMMC). I tried with four Samsung monitors (24" and 27" inch) and with my NexDock without success.

Today Amazon will deliver my USB Serial Cable, so I will  try to understand where is the problem with my HDMI output from the console.

With 20.02.3 "desktop" I got this errors:

ON BOOT
[   10.656436] rockchip-dmc dmc: Get wrong frequency, Request 400000000, Current 856000000
[   10.690946] mali ff9a0000.gpu: Failed to get pvtm
[   10.700176] ERROR: Bad of_node_put() on /gpu@ff9a0000
[   10.708417] rockchip-dmc dmc: Get wrong frequency, Request 800000000, Current 856000000

root@orangepi4:~# dmesg | grep mali
[   10.684927] mali ff9a0000.gpu: Looking up mali-supply from device tree
[   10.686316] mali ff9a0000.gpu: leakage=25
[   10.686384] mali ff9a0000.gpu: Looking up mali-supply from device tree
[   10.692457] mali ff9a0000.gpu: avs=0
[   10.699567] mali ff9a0000.gpu: GPU identified as 0x0860 r2p0 status 0
[   10.699736] mali ff9a0000.gpu: Protected mode not available
[   10.700122] mali ff9a0000.gpu: l=0 h=2147483647 hyst=5000 l_limit=0 h_limit=0
[   10.701569] mali ff9a0000.gpu: Using configured power model mali-simple-power-model, and fallback mali-simple-power-model
[   10.701694] I : [File] : drivers/gpu/arm/midgard/backend/gpu/mali_kbase_devfreq.c; [Line] : 423; [Func] : kbase_devfreq_init(); success initing power_model_simple.
[   10.703169] mali ff9a0000.gpu: Probed as mali0

root@orangepi4:~# dmesg | grep gpu
[    2.675412] vdd_gpu: 712 <--> 1500 mV at 1000 mV
[    3.457964] rockchip-pm-domain ff310000.power-management:power-controller: Looking up pd_gpu-supply from device tree
[    3.457968] rockchip-pm-domain ff310000.power-management:power-controller: Looking up pd_gpu-supply property in node /power-management@ff310000/power-controller failed
[   10.684927] mali ff9a0000.gpu: Looking up mali-supply from device tree
[   10.686316] mali ff9a0000.gpu: leakage=25
[   10.686384] mali ff9a0000.gpu: Looking up mali-supply from device tree
[   10.686413] vdd_gpu: could not add device link ff9a0000.gpu err -17
[   10.686422] vdd_gpu: Failed to create debugfs directory
[   10.692457] mali ff9a0000.gpu: avs=0
[   10.699567] mali ff9a0000.gpu: GPU identified as 0x0860 r2p0 status 0
[   10.699736] mali ff9a0000.gpu: Protected mode not available
[   10.700122] mali ff9a0000.gpu: l=0 h=2147483647 hyst=5000 l_limit=0 h_limit=0
[   10.700176] ERROR: Bad of_node_put() on /gpu@ff9a0000
[   10.701569] mali ff9a0000.gpu: Using configured power model mali-simple-power-model, and fallback mali-simple-power-model
[   10.701694] I : [File] : drivers/gpu/arm/midgard/backend/gpu/mali_kbase_devfreq.c; [Line] : 423; [Func] : kbase_devfreq_init(); success initing power_model_simple.
[   10.703169] mali ff9a0000.gpu: Probed as mali0

I will retry with minimal.