Pine H64 Model B Questions

Neko May

I've tried searching the forums for info on the Pine H64 Model B, but all the information is rather outdated, so I have some questions:

• Is this board supported by the images on the Pine H64 page which show a Model A board? (There was mention they work but without ethernet support.)
  • Has ethernet support been fixed in the Pine H64 images for Model B?
  • Are nightly builds still disabled for these boards?

7 minutes ago, Neko May said:

Is this board supported by the images on the Pine H64 page which show a Model A board?

I think no. Nobody is specifically take care over model B

8 minutes ago, Neko May said:

Has ethernet support been fixed in the Pine H64 images for Model B?

I only test on model A. No idea.

9 minutes ago, Neko May said:

Are nightly builds still disabled for these boards?

Yes, until someone sent a PR with changes.
https://github.com/armbian/build/blob/master/config/targets.conf#L521-L525

I did a little research, and as far as I can tell, the Model A was discontinued in favor of the Model B; Nobody offers the Model A for sale, and numerous sources mention that it has been superseded.

I have not yet determined differences beyond the Model B including WiFi/Bluetooth and eliminating the MiniPCIe slot (likely due to the unusable implementation in the H6) as well as the much more obvious change in form factor.

(My board has not arrived yet, but I will have more information when it does.)

Tested the Buster Desktop image built 25-12-2019, it stops at "Begin: Waiting for root file system" and sits there blinking the cursor forever when using the eMMC module. With SD Card it's fine.

Attempted to boot the AOSC image on the PINE64 wiki which is specified to be for "eMMC Boot" and it gets to a certain point before throwing a data error on the eMMC, complaining and disabling IRQ 96 then hanging forever in a kworker thread related to the eMMC.

Edited by Neko May

I have build myself Ubuntu 18.04 version for that board. Kernel 5.4.6. ( 19.11.5 )

But eth0 does not work. The same situation as 

But i have img with 5.77 Armbian ubuntu 18.04 kernel 5.0.5 and that is working.

It is strange. Kernel 5.0.5 has no problem and 5.4.6 not.

Settings static IP help nothing... eth0 is not recognize.

By the way - Happy New Year 2020 to Armbian Team 

15 minutes ago, constantius said:

yes etho is disabled after reboot and even earlier before reboot when i tried do something what need internet - for example do command ping

Are you sure ? When you say "even earlier", do you mean just after during "cold boot" you get problem with ping ?

Maybe it is not the same issue ...

Try the following : "systemctl disable NetworkManager" and use plain "old school" /etc/network/interfaces to do your network setup.

21 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Try the following : "systemctl disable NetworkManager" and use plain "old school" /etc/network/interfaces to do your network setup.

This does not work.

I think you are right... Connection sometimes ends earlier. that maybe differenf issue. I have img build earlier myself with 5.05 kernel Armbian 5.77 - that works

I have an update to the eMMC situation:

- Linux will hang trying to boot off the eMMC. If booted from SD, attempts to access the eMMC will cause the process to hang.

- NetBSD has been tested to boot off of SD, and has no trouble accessing the eMMC.

Looks like a Linux kernel bug.

NetBSD successfully boots from eMMC using the same image as for SD.

(I should clarify, Armbian boots from either; kernel is entered, initrd is laded and setup begins, but it hangs up trying to access the eMMC to mount the root filesystem, or if you boot from SD, it gets to multiuser but processes that try to access it will hang. There's something wrong in Linux with accessing the eMMC on this board/SoC. (I have another H6 board coming maybe within a month so I'll be able to test eMMC on there when it arrives.))

maybe relevant: this is a patch i need on h6 tv boxes to get stable emmc access ... not sure if it is in armbian already - it originally comes from @megi or @Icenowy i think ...

best wishes and good luck - hexdump

--- drivers/mmc/host/sunxi-mmc.c	2019-08-22 20:06:32.487082136 +0200
+++ drivers/mmc/host/sunxi-mmc.c	2019-08-22 20:08:20.415078693 +0200
@@ -1394,15 +1394,17 @@ static int sunxi_mmc_probe(struct platfo
 				  MMC_CAP_ERASE | MMC_CAP_SDIO_IRQ;

/*
-	 * Some H5 devices do not have signal traces precise enough to
-	 * use HS DDR mode for their eMMC chips.
+	 * Some H5 and H6 devices do not have signal traces precise
+	 * enough to use HS DDR mode for their eMMC chips.
 	 * We still enable HS DDR modes for all the other controller
 	 * variants that support them.
 	 */
 	if ((host->cfg->clk_delays || host->use_new_timings) &&
 	    !of_device_is_compatible(pdev->dev.of_node,
-				     "allwinner,sun50i-h5-emmc"))
+				     "allwinner,sun50i-h5-emmc") &&
+	    !of_device_is_compatible(pdev->dev.of_node,
+		    		     "allwinner,sun50i-h6-emmc"))
 		mmc->caps      |= MMC_CAP_1_8V_DDR | MMC_CAP_3_3V_DDR;

ret = mmc_of_parse(mmc);

Also, the board loads U-Boot, the kernel and the initrd just fine, and NetBSD has no trouble at all with the eMMC. This isn't a board problem. I'll be able to test on an Orange Pi 3 hopefully within a month, but I'm not convinced this has anything to do with the boards.