Odroid XU4 hangs on reboot

sgjava

Armbianmonitor:

I just installed Armbian_5.90_Odroidxu4_Ubuntu_bionic_default_4.14.127.img which will hang on sudo reboot (fan keeps spinning, no blue heartbeat led). I have another XU4 runnig the same version without the reboot issue. Armbianmonitor info uploded.

I did some messing around and switched to a 32GB SD (from 64GB, but same exact features as https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B073JYVKNX) and it reboots fine now. FYI Odroid's image exhibits the same exact hang behavior ubuntu-18.04.3-4.14-minimal-odroid-xu4-20190910.img using 64GB SD. It was working fine with the 64GB SD, but with an older version of Odroid's image.

I had a similar issue, reboot did not work with Armbian_20.02.0-rc0_Odroidxu4_buster_current_5.4.11_minimal. Updating the boot loader had no effect.

Since I have no additional Micro SDs available, I tried to change the image to Armbian_20.02.0-rc0_Odroidxu4_buster_legacy_4.14.165. That worked.

@suchende i am very sure there is a image called something sd2emmc from odroid. I is very sure it is a android image, flash that. Very sure it is like @Igor say it must be the bootloader.

I had to do that on my own XU4 - And then first i could update bootloader in Armbian.

You can try here in the Other Supported Boards section

7 hours ago, soerenderfor said:

i am very sure there is a image called something sd2emmc from odroid. I is very sure it is a android image, flash that. Very sure it is like @Igor say it must be the bootloader.

I think you are referring to this issue which is about flashing the bootloader which is on the "secret/hidden" partition. That used to be a manual process but by now incorporated into nand-sata-install script (IIRC, see that thread for details).

But I thought that only applied to EMMC. Unless I missed something, from what I could read OP was only using SD cards?

@soerenderfor For your own future reference, that topic is stickied in Other Supported Boards section.

Edited by TRS-80
move paragraph order for clarity

13 hours ago, derdietmar said:

I had a similar issue, reboot did not work with Armbian_20.02.0-rc0_Odroidxu4_buster_current_5.4.11_minimal. Updating the boot loader had no effect.

Since I have no additional Micro SDs available, I tried to change the image to Armbian_20.02.0-rc0_Odroidxu4_buster_legacy_4.14.165. That worked.

Do not use the 5.x kernel with Odroid HC1 / HC2 / XU4 / MC for now, stay on 4.14.