NanoPI 4MV2

Nobby42

Hi,

I have a problem with my NanoPi M4V2 (with Raspberry Pi 4 power supply) and the new Armbian release 19.11.3 (Buster). I can boot the image from SD, eMMC. But when I connect any USB storage (USB-Stick or SSD with USB to SATA) then I have packet lost on the Ethernet connection. Any idea where the problem is?
On the interface I can't see problems.

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500

inet 192.168.xx.36  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.42.255

inet6 fd58:xxxx:xxxx:1::1006  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x0<global>

inet6 fe80::94ad:f6ff:fe0d:757b  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>

ether 96:ad:f6:0d:75:7b  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)

RX packets 1475  bytes 231894 (226.4 KiB)

RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0

TX packets 1088  bytes 129189 (126.1 KiB)

TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

device interrupt 24

Thanks for your support and kind regards

Norbert

17 hours ago, Nobby42 said:

Hi,

I have a problem with my NanoPi M4V2 (with Raspberry Pi 4 power supply) and the new Armbian release 19.11.3 (Buster). I can boot the image from SD, eMMC. But when I connect any USB storage (USB-Stick or SSD with USB to SATA) then I have packet lost on the Ethernet connection. Any idea where the problem is?
On the interface I can't see problems.

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500

inet 192.168.xx.36  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.42.255

inet6 fd58:xxxx:xxxx:1::1006  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x0<global>

inet6 fe80::94ad:f6ff:fe0d:757b  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>

ether 96:ad:f6:0d:75:7b  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)

RX packets 1475  bytes 231894 (226.4 KiB)

RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0

TX packets 1088  bytes 129189 (126.1 KiB)

TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

device interrupt 24

Thanks for your support and kind regards

Norbert

Hi I have one of these boards and haven't noticed any degradation in signal ( but unless it was dropping the connection I wouldn't check ) do you have WiFi working on this Buster release?

On 12/10/2019 at 8:09 PM, Nobby42 said:

Can anyone reproduce the problem with the 4.4.192 kernel

I verified and can confirm there are issues with networking on 4.4.192.

LAN is not working well and WLAN cannot connect to AP.

I will look into fixing that but no ETA guaranteed ;-)

Hello,

'openpvn' is still waiting and does not make new network interface. I suppose that a reason is missed TUN kernel module.

but manually I can make a TAP device

ip tuntap add mode tap dev tap0
root@nanopim4v2:/etc/openvpn/client# ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
2: dummy0: <BROADCAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether fe:0f:8e:36:d4:22 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 96:ad:f6:0d:75:7b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.100.105/24 brd 192.168.100.255 scope global noprefixroute eth0
    inet6 fe80::a0d5:e8e8:9ecf:42b3/64 scope link noprefixroute 
4: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether c0:84:7d:18:b0:6a brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
6: tap0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 3e:61:c0:43:ae:4a brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
root@nanopim4v2:/etc/openvpn/client# openvpn --config client.conf

Jarek

PS: Armbian_19.11.3_Nanopim4v2_buster_legacy_4.4.192 has a very slow network (it is not usable)

Edited by SpringPeace Endy
Add next details

Some further observations of mine in case it helps identifying the problems using ethernet: After noticing that the throughput using the native ethernet connection (eth0) of the M4V2 is low, I checked it using iperf3. I tested the legacy kernel, the current kernel and the dev kernel. The results are quite interesting:

Legacy kernel: Can receive data via TCP  from anoter host with high speed (~940MBit/s) but the other way around is quite slow (<1MBit/s).

Current/dev kernel: Can send data via TCP to another host with high speed (~950MBit/s) but the other way around is quite slow (~3MBit/s).

Further information:

• If I set the link speed to 10MBit half duplex there seems to be almost no packet loss that slows down the connection.
  • Using a USB3-ethernet adapter speed is good in both directions.
  • I did not care about WiFi. It's not connected.
  • There is a SATA hat attached to my NanoPi M4V2. Only power supply is used, no hdds are connected.
  • Of course I only have one device at hand, so I cannot guarantee that the behavior is representative.

Generally: If there is somebody working on further bringup of NanoPi M4V2 and needs somebody for testing, I'm happy to assist.

47 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Legacy kernel: Can receive data via TCP  from anoter host with high speed (~940MBit/s) but the other way around is quite slow (<1MBit/s).

Current/dev kernel: Can send data via TCP to another host with high speed (~950MBit/s) but the other way around is quite slow (~3MBit/s).

Thanks for verifying and sharing this valuable insights.

I never noticed / verified that for mainline kernels the issue exists but is opposite in direction.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:53 AM, SpringPeace Endy said:

Hello,

'openpvn' is still waiting and does not make new network interface. I suppose that a reason is missed TUN kernel module.

but manually I can make a TAP device

My apologies, openvpn client is working correctly, but this new version requires to add an option 'tls-version-min 1.0'.

BTW: It is strange that there was not any output

@Nobby42 @Matthias I hopefully fixed ethernet issues on legacy kernel in Armbian master. It works well on my unit.

The issue with USB drives borking ethernet are also gone.

Downloadable images were recreated.

I also verified current (5.4.6) kernel and it does not exhibit the problems with network bandwidth in either direction - it's a strong 930-940mbps in both directions.

13 hours ago, piter75 said:

@Nobby42 @Matthias I hopefully fixed ethernet issues on legacy kernel in Armbian master. It works well on my unit.

The issue with USB drives borking ethernet are also gone.

Downloadable images were recreated.

I also verified current (5.4.6) kernel and it does not exhibit the problems with network bandwidth in either direction - it's a strong 930-940mbps in both directions.

I can confirm your patched legacy-kernel can receive and transmit at about 930mbps. Good job, @piter75!

Unfortunately I cannot confirm high rates for receiving data using kernel 5.4.6 on my hardware. I used this image to test the current kernel: Armbian_19.11.4_Nanopim4v2_buster_current_5.4.6.img (downloaded from server, no local compilation)

10 hours ago, Matthias said:

I cannot confirm high rates for receiving data using kernel 5.4.6 on my hardware

@Matthias thanks for verifying that. Could you try to fiddle a bit with `rx_delay` setting on your M4V2 with current kernel?

The easiest and fastest way IMHO would be to add the following line to "/boot/boot.cmd" after "fdt resize 65536" line:

fdt set /ethernet@fe300000 rx_delay <0x0E>

rebuilding the boot script with:

mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr

and rebooting.

You could try "0x0E", "0x14" and then maybe "0x0C" and "0x16" and see if it helps to move your receiving rates into expected levels.

2 hours ago, piter75 said:

The easiest and fastest way IMHO would be to add the following line to "/boot/boot.cmd" after "fdt resize 65536" line:

fdt set /ethernet@fe300000 rx_delay <0x0E>

rebuilding the boot script with:

mkimage -C none -A arm -T script -d /boot/boot.cmd /boot/boot.scr

and rebooting.

You could try "0x0E", "0x14" and then maybe "0x0C" and "0x16" and see if it helps to move your receiving rates into expected levels.

Sure, I can do that. Thanks for the manual, looks quite straight forward. I was afraid I need to much "heavier" steps of the build process to check the different options. Just give me a day or two.

@piter75 I just tested the values for rx_delay you provided with kernel 5.4.6-rockchip64.

0x16 seems to be the best value for me, 0x14 offers a similar quality. You can find the details in the table below.

rx_delay Observation
0x0E No connection to device via SSH possible. Problems receiving data?
0x14 Receives data at ~ 930mbit/s, but on very rare occasions drops down to ~200mbit/s but then normalizes again
0x0C No connection to device via SSH possible. Problems receiving data?
0x16 Receives data at ~ 930mbit/s, seems to be more stable than 0x14

1 hour ago, piter75 said:

Thanks for verifying @Matthias!

I also verified that 0x18 still works well with my unit and then settled with 0x1

there's a tool to test this:

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/blob/02fae982767ca242009baaf995f7ce64b5d82469/recipes/gmac-delays-test/range-test

@tkaiser wrote one too back then.. but I can't remember where I have it anymore.. Nevermind :P

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/blob/02fae982767ca242009baaf995f7ce64b5d82469/recipes/gmac-delays-test/range-test#L3

https://github.com/armbian/build/issues/546

8 hours ago, chwe said:

there's a tool to test this

Thanks for pointing that out. I did not know about it. Sometimes I feel like I know nothing :P

Anyway, this reminded me that I need to add a patch with dynamic overlay support for rockchip64 in current target.

let me fix that...

4 hours ago, piter75 said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I did not know about it. Sometimes I feel like I know nothing  not everything

spotting this one (https://github.com/TinkerBoard/debian_kernel/commit/30a8401c2f3851f4e9b46c9d3e8e1138ce8d5b51) to fix camera support for the tinkerboard took me over a year... :ph34r:

it happens and when it happens it's IMO not something you should feel ashamed for. iperf3 (combined with a computer/sbc with known good settings) is a great tool to test this. But it's interesting that the settings work well on the legacy drivers but not on mainline.

56 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Isn't that available since more than a year, at least in DEV ?

It is available in DEV indeed. I thought about bringing it into current kernel where it is missing.

16 minutes ago, chwe said:

it happens and when it happens it's IMO not something you should feel ashamed for

I am not. Sometimes I am just amazed at how much there is still to discover / learn ;-)

6 minutes ago, piter75 said:

It is available in DEV indeed. I thought about bringing it into current kernel where it is missing.

Looking at kernel configs, it seems to be there ...

Did you check the /sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays directory presence ?

@piter75 Thanks. Now the ethernet workes and I can test the legacy kernel. With the 5.4.6 kernel I have a lot of problems. Sometimes the Pi crashes. I cannot verify the reason. I boot the Pi from emmc and rootfs on a SSD.
Looks like a problem with the USB SSD adapter but I am not shure. I use USB adapters with JM567 and ASM1153 chipset.

5 hours ago, martinayotte said:

Did you check the /sys/kernel/config/device-tree/overlays directory presence ?

It was not there on rockchip64-current.

I prepared a PR that adds it: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1699

1 hour ago, Nobby42 said:

Sometimes the Pi crashes. I cannot verify the reason. I boot the Pi from emmc and rootfs on a SSD.
Looks like a problem with the USB SSD adapter but I am not shure.

I am using similar setup but with NVMe hat and I would call it very stable.

One thing to mention is that I am using it as a server and not a desktop.

1 hour ago, piter75 said:

It was not there on rockchip64-current.

I prepared a PR that adds it: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1699

I've look about rockchip64-dev history from about 1 year ago, and apparently I've only added overlays, but not CONFIGFS like I did for meson64 around the same time. Simply that I've forgot.

Since you did a PR, it would be good to have the same patch also in rockchip64-dev ...

22 minutes ago, martinayotte said:

Since you did a PR, it would be good to have the same patch also in rockchip64-dev

The patch is not needed in rockchip64-dev as it is already incorporated in ayufan's kernel sources we use for dev target.

That's why it's being added to current target only with my PR.