Network connection terminates

Neo2018

Network connection terminates

Hello everyone

I use RockPro64 4GB with> Armbian_19.11.3_Rockpro64_buster_current_5.3.11_desktop.img

RDP + NCP + OMV5 is installed, all about> armbian-config> software> softy-3rd_party_applications_installer.

I installed VNC with> apt-get install tightvncserver.

Right from the start I had problems establishing a stable connection to the OMV GUI via browser Firefox / Chrome or to the VNC. Approximately after 2 / 3min the "session" was always interrupted and I had to reconnect VNC or reload Firefox.

The solution was that I added a new interface in the OMV GUI via> Network> Interface. Ethernet> eth0> IPv4> Static. After there were no more problems with calling OMV GUI in the browser (Firefox or Chromr) and VNC everything is stable, no break in the connection.

My problem:

I want to connect to VPN at start / boot. For that I tried:

1: via Remote Desktop> Applications> Settings> Advanced_Network_Configuration> +> Import_a_saved_VPN_configuration ...> Create ...> and imported my .ovpn. Then I edit the selected connection (eth0 which was previously created via OMV GUI)> General> Automatically connection to VPN and the country / server. Save.

2: touch vpn.sh & chmod + x vpn.sh & nano vpn.sh created with the script>

#!/bin/sh

sudo openvpn --config /path/to/your/openvpn/config/file --script-security 2

Then an autostart .service creates>

sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/vpn.service

1. [Unit]
    Description=vpn
    After = remote-fs.target network-online.target

[Service]
    ExecStart=/root/vpn.sh
    [Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

Result: Both methods work (individually from each other).

But I can no longer access my OMV GUI in the Firefox / Chrome browser> no more connection.

Note: via Remote Desktop / VNC the connection is ok (LOL :D ).

How do I solve this? Where is the mistake? Why is the connection blocked? ?(

Edited by Neo2018

Did you check your syslog for abnormalities when such disconnects happen?

If the VPN is configured a way to route all traffic through it it is clear that no connections from "outside" are accepted anymore.

On 12/13/2019 at 2:47 PM, Werner said:

If the VPN is configured a way to route all traffic through it it is clear that no connections from "outside" are accepted anymore.

Note: no connection via hostname, but connection via IP (works)!
How can I activate this via hostname?

4 hours ago, martinayotte said:

You need to install "avahi-daemon", and then URL would be using hostname such as "rockhomeserver.local"

6 hours ago, Werner said:

Many thanks for your response.
I just don't understand why. With my old system stretch-openmediavault-rock64-0.9.14-1159-armhf.img everything worked without problems.

Now I have determined: after about 30min to 1st hour I can quite normally use hostname on e.g. Access OMV GUI. That is very confusing.

2 hours ago, Igor said:

OMV (v5) on Buster is probably still beta. Use OMV v4 witch Debian Stretch is IMO still better ... that's why!

Thank you for your answer!
Because my old system crashed, I immediately wanted to switch from stretch to baster. So far everything works for 95% what I need. I hope it gets better and better over time!

Also because OMV6 is already planned for 2020!    https://www.openmediavault.org/?p=2588
I try to test OMV5 and Baster in the best hope!

For you supporters this means reading and explaining a lot in the forum! ;)
Thank you!

1 hour ago, Neo2018 said:

I try to test OMV5 and Baster in the best hope!

Don't know much about OMV so there is little I can help you. OMV forums are better destination to ask questions regarding this. We are focused for troubles below the OS while OMV is a software suite outside out interest and domain.

15 hours ago, Igor said:

Don't know much about OMV so there is little I can help you. OMV forums are better destination to ask questions regarding this. We are focused for troubles below the OS while OMV is a software suite outside out interest and domain.

Hello Igor, thanks for your answer.
So far nobody has been able to help me in the OMV forum, which is why the post here. The answers nevertheless helped me a lot.
Armbian installs the OMV via armbian-config, so it may be helpful for you to experience some errors!?!
nevertheless thanks for the hint.