Rock64 USB 3 broken

Thewonderer

The strangest thing happened today.  I switched of my rok64 rev.2 and connected to my PC to move the files of my USB HDD.  My plan was to change the disk format from NTFS to EXT4.

Then when i plugged it back in the rock64 wouldn't boot properly. 

Turns out my USB 3 port isn't working anymore with the USB HDD or any other USB drive.  The light comes on for my SSD but fdisk -l doesn't see it.

Could one of the firmware updates broken it?

UPDATE...

I downloaded the latest Ayufun arm64 bionic build and booted from this.  My USB 3 HDD was picked up fine.  I've gone back to the new Armbian Bionic build and it doesn't work. Only on USB 2 ports.  Something must have changed with the latest build (u-boot / firmware) that's caused this issue.  If you need some logs, please let me know... Will need a hand with the commands to run.

Add me to the list of users who have lost the USB3 port once I've switched to kernel 5.3.11.

On one of my boards I have had to hook a monitor to understand why the Rock64 did not boot anymore from the eMMC. The problem is it is failing to mount the USB3 connected HDD and then it goes in recovery mode. The Ethernet port is also not configured.

Booting from a SD card with Armbian Bionic 5.90 in it I first upgraded to the latest 5.98, which brought in kernel 4.4.198 (I was on 4.4.192), then using armbian-config I switched to the new kernel 5.3.11. On powering on the board (the switch poweroff the board instead of power cycling it), not depending on a fstab pointing to a missing drive the system booted normally, with the Ethernet port properly configured. The USB3 port is still missing from lsusb -t output :(

Can also confirm issues on my new Rock64.

USB3 works on fresh install of Buster server 4.4

Linux rock64 4.4.198-rockchip64 #27 SMP Fri Dec 27 21:32:05 CET 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

No USB3 device recognized on Buster server 5.4

Linux RockHole 5.4.6-rockchip64 #19.11.5 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 27 21:46:18 CET 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

USB2 works OK on both.

EDIT:

Also no USB3 on

Linux RockHole 5.3.11-rockchip64 #19.11.3 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 18 21:03:09 CET 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

Edited by Tucker

7 hours ago, Tucker said:

No USB3 device recognized on Buster server 5.4

Kernel 5.4.y is kind of stable to use but considered as development. Some features are simply not there yet. Core ones are, which is why we provide images.

R&D is mainly amateur based which means its done when its done.

I believe the problem with the dts definition which I found a year ago was fixed by Ayufan for his mainline builds,  but still exists in the official repo.   My rock64 is not available for me to test right now.   Perhaps someone else could take a look?

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/9413-make-419-kernel-available-again-for-rock64/?do=findComment&comment=70578

11 hours ago, Tucker said:

Perhaps the docs

8 hours ago, belfastraven said:

Perhaps someone else could take a look?

I hope new reinforcements. we are full :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Tucker said:

"mainline" is considered development

Personally, I never treated latest upstream kernel as a stable even Linus says so. Not from our (half "ARM embedded") perspective since those devices are not that well tested or not tested at all. Our kernel also include some/many (experimental) code that cover some/many of the missing functions. This is the case for years and I believe this will not be changed soon ... some code will always float out of the tree for this and that reason ... 

2 hours ago, grange25 said:

The same problem (no XHCI) is also present with 5.3.11 which as I understand you consider "current", right?

Yes. You have BSP kernel 4.4.y where things are developed. Then you have a moving target - mainline kernel (currently 5.4.y), where functions are getting ported to. This process takes years ... RK3399 is not stabilised there yet ... older boards, like Bananapi / Cubietruck or similar, are. They have rock stable support , but still, not all functions of stock BSP kernel are still not supported. Some functions never are ...