Cant ping Armbian OrangePi until it has pinged my computer

peterc

Hi,

I have a problem with an OrangePi that I have set up to host Octoprint for my 3d printer. It connects to the wifi just fine(receives wifi IP and I can ping e.g. google.com), but this is all checked through a serial interface, because I can not connect via my network(through SSH) and I can not see the webserver that Octoprint should host. I can't even ping the OrangePi from my computer. What solves the problem for me is to ping my computer from the OrangePi(via serial console). First then I can connect via SSH and see the web page or ping the OrangePi from my computer. If I plug in ethernet to the OrangePi, there is no problem. 

I have searched the web and found out that the problem "cant ping before being pinged" is related to the ARP table, but I can't figure out what to do to my OrangePi to get "the right" ARP table when starting up. 

The ARP table initially looks like this:

root@orangepipc:~# ip neigh

192.168.87.1 dev wlx801f02b3497e lladdr 00:1e:80:81:5c:02 REACHABLE

After a ping from the OrangePi to my computer, it now looks like this:

root@orangepipc:~# ip neigh

192.168.87.155 dev wlx801f02b3497e lladdr 3c:97:0e:4a:44:4f REACHABLE

192.168.87.1 dev wlx801f02b3497e lladdr 00:1e:80:81:5c:02 REACHABLE

.1 is my gateway and .155 is my computer.

The network setup on my OrangePi is

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
# Network is managed by Network manager
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlx801f02b3497e
iface wlx801f02b3497e inet dhcp
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wifi.conf
wireless-power off

The wireless-power off I added at some point to solve the problem. This didn't help, as far as I know.

wifi.conf just contains my SSID and password. 

Any help would be appreciated. Let me know if you need further info on the specs. 

You forget to mention that you are using 3rd party hardware in your setup which we can't and don't support. Just use some less cheap wireless dongle and you should be fine.

1 hour ago, Igor said:

You forget to mention that you are using 3rd party hardware in your setup which we can't and don't support. Just use some less cheap wireless dongle and you should be fine.

Is there any such thing as 1st party hardware for armbian? At the risk of alienating myself, sounds like you are just making up excuses to avoid dealing with the problem. Not that you have to, of course, just doesn't seem very in the spirit of open source.  Also, the Edimax dongle and its chipset is, as far as I know, one of the most popular solutions available, so it would make sense to support it.

Anyway, is there a specific reason you suspect the hardware to be the issue or is it more akin to the "turn it off and on again" approach to suggest using other hardware? 

7 minutes ago, peterc said:

sounds like you are just making up excuses

8 minutes ago, peterc said:

spirit of open source

My time dealing with you is an expensive resource which you don't support and has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that software is released with free licence / open source. 

10 minutes ago, peterc said:

is there a specific reason you suspect the hardware

Experiences? I haven't noticed such problems elsewhere.

15 minutes ago, peterc said:

suggest using other hardware? 

Debugging a wireless driver seems better for you? Wasting a week (and you don't cover not a single second of this time) and perhaps solve nothing?

Why are you being so hostile and rude? I come in asking a question and your only answer is "buy different hardware" and then a load about how important your time is.. Seems like a real dick attitude, to be honest.  

Regarding your experience, I don't know. Thats why I am asking follow-up questions to your non-answers. Should be obvious, really.

And no, wasting a week doesn't seem like a good idea, but how on earth should I know that would be *the only solution* to my question? Maybe there was a really simple solution to this.. 

3 minutes ago, peterc said:

That's why I am asking follow-up questions

There is nothing to follow up. Rather do some search on the forum - you might get some questions answered without repeating them.

1 hour ago, peterc said:

Is there any such thing as 1st party hardware for armbian?

On-board hardware. It is already extremely difficult, in many cases impossible to cover. With the resources we have (a few people tinkering something in their free time) we can't afford to support all possible hardware on the planet. Not even popular ones. No matter how urgent or important this is for you. Why don't you ask Edimax to support you?

1 hour ago, peterc said:

so it would make sense to support it.

I think you should just start doing that or act upon my advise. You can also verify this suspicion before digging more into this.

2 minutes ago, peterc said:

Maybe there was a really simple solution to this.. 

The best simple solution was already presented to you. I don't know for any better one unless I start to deal with this driver which I will certainly not.

Try traceroute (computer to orangepi) first time right after you boot orangepi and again after you ping from orangepi  (serial console) to your computer. Compare the results, it can give you a clue.

* and vice-versa

Edited by @lex
both directions

OP, i believe if the dongle have issues with a Windows, Windows support will not help you to solve this. You do know that Armbian did not sell you the board and dongle?

I think you should have mentioned in the first post what hardware you are using because other users could share their experience with your hardware.

6 hours ago, 062621AM said:

I think you should have mentioned in the first post what hardware you are using because other users could share their experience with your hardware.

Yes :) I also want to know which hardware to avoid and I cant read it because
here in Turkey pastebin.com seems to be blocked - (no traceroute possbile - no output).

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Censorship_in_Turkey
Imgur, Pastebin and Tinyurl were also blocked in Turkey.

If the ping does work after pinging the pc - then pleae use armbianmonitor -u after that ;)

with a workaround I did take a look at the pastebin-listing and did see only the

3488    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

which was/it widely used by Raspberry Pi users, because this adapter hasnt problem with the first releases of raspbian ;)

I do have 4 of these from the past and never got in the past any problems using this adapter - also with armbian.

Spoiler

[580213.899940] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 12 using ehci-platform
[580214.061737] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=7392, idProduct=7811, bcdDevice= 2.00
[580214.061752] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[580214.061760] usb 1-1: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter
[580214.061768] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Realtek
[580214.061775] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
[580214.062838] rtl8192cu: Chip version 0x10
[580214.148860] rtl8192cu: Board Type 0
[580214.149086] rtl_usb: rx_max_size 15360, rx_urb_num 8, in_ep 1
[580214.149188] rtl8192cu: Loading firmware rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw_TMSC.bin
[580214.149707] ieee80211 phy4: Selected rate control algorithm 'rtl_rc'
[580214.176647] rtl8192cu 1-1:1.0 wlx801f02850890: renamed from wlan1

With which route - network-manager or /etc/network/interfaces  - is this Edimax device configured?

For me the network-manager way did work better for wlan-devices than the "oldschool" way.

20 hours ago, peterc said:

auto wlx801f02b3497e
iface wlx801f02b3497e inet dhcp
    wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wifi.conf
wireless-power off

The wireless-power off I added at some point to solve the problem. This didn't help, as far as I know.

you could also try to disable the power-management via 
/etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf:

options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=0

see: 
https://debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=156208
https://edimax.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/14000035492-how-to-resolve-ew-7811un-built-in-driver-issues-in-linux-kernel-v3-10-or-higher
https://developer-blog.net/raspberry-pi-problem-mit-wlan-stick-edimax-ew-7811un/