Big sale on Odroid MC1

gounthar

Wow, the discount is huge. Though, since shipping and toll fees will be much more than the board itself, you need to order several units to make it worth.

1 hour ago, gounthar said:

I took 5 of them to get build a h.264 encoding farm

Good choice!

3 hours ago, gounthar said:

MC1 at discount price, there is a big sale going on.

Good you didn't buy the cluster. I'd hate to be the one making that mistake now.
The cluster = 4 x MC1 for $220 MC1Cluster
While 4 sperate units is $36
I'd almost think they've made a mistake. Maybe should be $39 instead of $9?
Too bad the shipping is so much, otherwise I'd ordered one too. But no need for it, I've got the XU4. Good luck with it.

On 1/3/2020 at 12:20 PM, manuti said:

Anyone having this board.

Can trans-code video using as Plex Server?

Thanks.

In theory, yes, in practice there may be little power. Although I've heard that some use, the same gutters as XU4, HC1, HC2 so look for information about XU4/HC and plex.
First you would have to take care of hardware support ... 

On 1/3/2020 at 7:20 PM, manuti said:

Anyone having this board.

Can trans-code video using as Plex Server?

Thanks.

Probably, depending on your content type and target device.  I did some rudimentary testing with transcoding on the NanoPi M3, and it technically worked. 

I had stability issues though, so I switched to a small/cheap x86 box that supported hardware transcoding.

Just found this thread today. They are still asking $9 each, as of today (plus shipping, I am guessing).

Am I crazy for thinking to put 2 of these together and make an edge router? I already have a big 24 port Gigabit switch, and can add some Access Points later (Ubiquiti or whatever)?

And to think I came to this subforum just now to post a question to recommend a router hardware. :D

EDIT: Thinking further, I don't think you could use it as a router, as they are separate devices (separate CPUs, NICs, etc.)...

Edited by TRS-80
add last part

55 minutes ago, TRS-80 said:

If it is all about compute as you say, last I checked ODROID-MC1 were still on a big sale, in fact this may actually be perfect for what you are looking for. They use at least similar (same?) Samsung Exynos5422 big-LITTLE octa-core CPUS as ODROID-XU4 and so maybe Freedom issues are same as above(?).

Dang, I must have just missed it, they're up at $48 each now. 9$ each was a crazy deal.

Looks like the party is over, gang... :(:(:(

12 minutes ago, legogris said:

Dang, I must have just missed it, they're up at $48 each now. 9$ each was a crazy deal.

Aaaaaaargh! That really sucks, man. :(

I almost bought several, just because they were on such a good sale, even though I have absolutely no use for them (and I really struggled to come up with even a potential use). :D

I replaced all of my orange pi zeros with them as camera servers - combined with esp32s to serve as remote monitors. The one shown in previous message is a spare one to use as tool chain builder, also can be used standalone.

1_4091246.jpg