Understanding the armbian build process for Pine64

Avraham Shukron

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to build my own distribution for the Pine64, and I use armbian as a working reference.

I'm able to compile ATF + U-boot + Kernel + rootfs and the board actually boots and I get a console over the serial interface and over HDMI.

The problem is that GbE Ethernet does not work. It appears that the 8211 phy is not powered.

The good guys on the pine64 IRC pointed to the ATF, where the DC1SW regulator should be turned on in order to power the phy.

On armbian everything works just fine.

I think I messed up something in the build - wrong version / config / dts in either ATF, U-boot or the linux kernel.

I tried to understand how the armbian Pine64 image was built - but since I'm totally new to armbian I got lost pretty quick.

So basically I want to know how can I find the following information:

1. What version + platform of ATF is used? Is it from the official ARM repo, or some fork?

2. What version + config + dts of U-Boot is used?

3. What version + config + dts of Linux is used? Is it mainline / LTS kernel? are there any special patches applied that I should be aware?

I know it is a bit weird question to ask here, but I really want to learn how to create my distro, and armbian is a great reference.