[S905X] Armbian on TX5PRO

Florin

Hi,

I've tried booting into Armbian on a TX5 PRO and all i have managed up until now is to get stuck on the boot screen :P.

Most tutorials I found are for older versions of Armbian. What i did:

From here: [REMOVED LINK], i downloaded both the bionic and eoan versions, hoping a newen/older version might help. Both produced the same result. Even tried the newer RC2 version.

After downloading the image, i used
xzcat IMAGE | dd of=/dev/sdc to write it to a microSD card (also tried with usb stick)

copied each *S905X* dtb file to the root of the same partition, and renamed them to dtb.img. None behaved any different.

From the update app inside of android, i selected the JAR file inside the microsd card and pushed update. It rebooted but only showed the boot splash screen.

I have managed to boot libreELEC on this machine so i know that the usb stick / microsd card  are bootable.

Any ideas on how to get this up and running?

• TRS-80 changed the title to [S905X] Armbian on TX5PRO

Hi @Florin and welcome to Armbian forums.

Sorry your post waited so long in moderation, it must have been overlooked. I am one of few recent new mods recruited to try and help with the growing forum load. I just now saw and approved it.

At any rate, the only supported way of flashing is to use Etcher, since unlike other tools Etcher validates burning results saving you from corrupted SD card contents.

Please start over, following explicitly the links in my signature (especially Getting Started) so that we can rule out lots of common problems. And please post back your results.

Hi, thanks for the reply!
I was using images from here, since tx5pro is not an officially supported device:

I managed to get it working in the end. The issue is that i was following outdated video tutorials for this, and the new instructions changed.  To be more concrete, i was copying the device tree to the root of the sd card and renaming it, instead of changing the env file to contain the path to the proper device tree file. So i was booting with the wrong dtb file each time :P

if anyone gets stuck on this, i followed this:
https://www.ondroid.net/armbian-os-uenv-ini-and-extlinux-conf/
the folder structure is not 100% the same (dtb files are in dtb/amlogic, not in the 'dtb' folder) but similar enough.

• Werner locked this topic