Plans for the development of Armbian-TV.

balbes150

In the new year, I plan to focus on improving and developing Armbian-TV  (Armbian-TV is a version that is based on the official Armbian, aimed at improved support for media capabilities and ease of use by ordinary users) support for the platforms Rockchip and Allwinner  (perhaps a few more platforms will be added that are not yet in use). To do this, I have already ordered several popular models based on rk3399 (NanoPC T4, RockPi 4, Renegade-Elite), in a complete set with obligatory Support of nvme carriers (I consider this support essentially important, for transition of TV boxes and SBS to the category of mini-PC, as highly effective and improved replacement of the usual PC). I'm plan to buy several more models on Allwinner (I'm still evaluating the capabilities of the selected models).  :)

I had plans to buy some more models based on rk3399 from other manufacturers, but there were problems with delivery and / or payment for my country.

If anyone has any suggestions for models that I should consider, I'm willing to listen to reasonable descriptions of the models.

• lanefu featured and pinned this topic

Hi, I've been a PC user for many years and have various OS's in all formats on a myriad of devices. I've decided to get the "A95X Max TV Box, Amlogic S905X2" the one with a 2TB HDD. So far I have installed 3 Android OS's, none I liked. I was looking for a very SFF PC with an OS I could use for work but, with an added bonus of using Android TV to stream, plus android gaming. Not as easy as I first thought. Android "Sentio" has been the closest I've got. Not sure If you would be willing to use this box as I've heard its locked? I've bricked this many times, but with the correct firmware it was easy to unbrick it.   

On 12/28/2019 at 11:21 AM, balbes150 said:

In the new year, I plan to focus on improving and developing Armbian-TV  (Armbian-TV is a version that is based on the official Armbian, aimed at improved support for media capabilities and ease of use by ordinary users) support for the platforms Rockchip and Allwinner  (perhaps a few more platforms will be added that are not yet in use). To do this, I have already ordered several popular models based on rk3399 (NanoPC T4, RockPi 4, Renegade-Elite), in a complete set with obligatory Support of nvme carriers (I consider this support essentially important, for transition of TV boxes and SBS to the category of mini-PC, as highly effective and improved replacement of the usual PC). I'm plan to buy several more models on Allwinner (I'm still evaluating the capabilities of the selected models).  :)

I had plans to buy some more models based on rk3399 from other manufacturers, but there were problems with delivery and / or payment for my country.

If anyone has any suggestions for models that I should consider, I'm willing to listen to reasonable descriptions of the models.

You don't say anything about Amlogic, are you dropping support for Ugoos Am6 and S9XX models? 

I was thinking about getting an AM6 Pro in a few days, as you have been saying for long it is the best device, and I was thinking about paying the extra for it. 

Any chances of X11 accelerated desktop anytime soon? Do lima and panfrost work properly with the current images? Do kodi and mpv work with full vpu decoding in armbian at least?

Thanks for your great work!!! 

On 12/30/2019 at 11:36 PM, A95X Newb said:

A95X Max TV Box, Amlogic S905X2

On 1/8/2020 at 12:20 AM, hexdump said:

you should maybe consider the orange-pi 4

To provide support, must have this equipment. If I buy all the models at my own expense, I'll have to cut back on my family expenses. :)

If manufacturers provide test samples, I can add support for them.

On 1/2/2020 at 9:41 AM, ramoncio said:

are you dropping support for Ugoos Am6 and S9XX models? 

This model already has the necessary support in the main kernel.

17 hours ago, martos said:

you buy the equipment with your money, could we donate to you ?

Part of the equipment I get from manufacturers or interested in support persons for free. There are some models that I buy myself (which are of personal interest to me). :)

I think what people are asking @balbes150 is to support you directly in this particular work. For example, is there a way either to:

• send money to you directly (perhaps for certain specific models) and/or
  • earmark funds contributed on Armbian Donate page toward a particular model they would like to see supported

In the case of the latter, it looks like you can attach a note to your contribution. I am not sure how that works getting the funds from (I guess?) Igor over to balbes150?

15 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

send money to you directly (perhaps for certain specific models) and/or

In theory, this option is possible, but I have not yet thought about its specific implementation.

15 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

earmark funds contributed on Armbian Donate page toward a particular model they would like to see supported

I don't know if this option is possible or not. This needs to be discussed with Igor and other Armbian developers, and I'm not sure that this needs to be done publicly.

20 hours ago, TRS-80 said:

maybe he doesn't like to talk about money (which is understandable).

I also do not like to talk about money, especially through a computer translator, information can be misunderstood ....  :)

20 hours ago, lanefu said:

Do you work on your TV Boxes project fulltime... or just a whole lot of time

It's a hobby and a bit of a job ...  :)