Torrent client & mount point changes

p177

Hello everybody, and thank you Igor for developing, and the community for supporting amrbian, it's really a marvel and works like a charm on my Orange PC. I also apologise beforehand for my lack of experience or knowledge with linux.

So, I setup my OPi PC to work as an always-on torrent box using jessie dekstop. I installed transmission on it and it works great, except one thing that causes me problems. I download and seed to torrents on a 64 gb sandisk usb flash key, and every time I reset the device, the usb key gets mounted at a new mount point. For instance, if I set up transmission to use /sandisk/downloads folder to download, it does fine, but after a reset, the os mounts the usb in /media/p177/sandisk1, and adds a larger number each time. Meanwhile, the torrent client downloads to the "old" destination, which is now on the sd card and gets full quickly, or tries to seed from there and throws out an error because no files are present anymore. I tried Deluge, same thing. Tried chmod 777, no luck. What could be the problem, and how could I solve this? Manually setting every torrent to the seeded data location every time I reset is a major hassle.

@p117

Welcome on board.

USB-dongles are usually auto-mounted on a newly created mount point in /media. This is how you force it to be mounted at a predefined

mount point.

1. Create a new mount point for your USB-dongle

sudo mkdir /mnt/mydrive

2. Plug in your USB-drive and check the partition name ( e.g. /dev/sda1 ) Your drive is most likely formatted as vfat.

sudo blkid

/dev/mmcblk0p1: UUID="56a9eae3-fd35-47d4-a01c-00251c2d6a8d" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="00003286-01"
/dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="00003286" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/sda1: UUID="4732-9959" TYPE="vfat"

3. Use the unique identifier (UUID) of the filesystem on your USB-drive and add an entry to your /etc/fstab

sudo nano /etc/fstab

#----sample fstab-entry to mount specific USB-drive
#    the unique identifier UUID can be queried with
#    blkid
#

UUID="4732-9959"  /mnt/mydrive   vfat    defaults,noatime        0 2

4. When you reboot, the USB-drive will be automatically mounted at /mnt/mydrive. Adjust permissions if needed.

5. Enjoy