Cubietruck Not Quite There Yet

CryBaby

Is anyone still working with cubietruck? I installed the latest mainline image over Christmas expecting it to have the cedrus driver but apparently it does not. I thought that everything except HDMI audio should be working in mainline now.

So I installed the latest legacy image. It plays videos well but bluetooth doesnt work. I switched it on in armbian-config and 'rfkill list' shows it as not disabled but the bluetooth manager shows no adapter and search is grayed out. This is a regression as it used to work to some extent.

Also, very importantly for me, neither image switch over to battery power when the AC goes out. This also used to work on legacy, unless it was cubian that worked and armbian never did, I should keep notes...

1 hour ago, CryBaby said:

neither image switch over to battery power when the AC goes out.

I didn't specifically test this on Cubietruck but this feature works properly on Olimex Lime A20, Bananapi, ... which are very similar in this.

expecting it to have the cedrus driver but apparently it does not. I thought that everything except HDMI audio should be working in mainline now.

We maintain around 400 patches on top of mainline which means we are in front of mainline up to around one year. This is perhaps unrelated to this but remember that video routines were developed with help of few dedicated professionals, while implementation and maintaining was mainly left to amateurs. Since we are highly overloaded ... https://www.armbian.com/get-involved/

Is anyone still working with cubietruck?

All the time - haven't you noticed Debian Buster version? It's tested on upgrades, but I don't known anyone that would work on board specific features - AFAIK they all work. We cover Allwinner based boards with one kernel. Compiled for hf and aarch64. Once Cedrus will be properly implemented, it should work everywhere. 

So I installed the latest legacy image.

We have dropped all legacy kernels support months ago, others has dropped this years ago. We have no resources to also maintain that anymore (and make you video ready image at the same time and fulfil 1.000 of other wishes that pops up every day).

17 minutes ago, Igor said:

this feature works properly on Olimex Lime A20, Bananapi

I suppose my battery may be too old. Unfortunately, a new one would take a couple of months to reach me from China. I'll see if I can source one from Europe. I don't suppose there's an easy way to debug it, when the power goes it dies instantly (twice this week so far). If anyone out there can confirm it works for them that would be good to know.

24 minutes ago, Igor said:

video routines were developed with help of few dedicated professionals

Yes, I contributed to the Kickstarter. Since it was mainlined in the 4.20s I kind of hoped it would be working by now. I guess there's more to it than that, I am vague on the details.

I know the legacy image is unsupported, I've been running mainline until recently, but I just got my home theatre set up and I really need my media player to play media. If I could also play games with my bluetooth joystick that would be sweet.

I haven't checked the bluetooth on mainline. I'll do that.

I do appreciate all your efforts supporting so many devices. So many, and yet none can replace a cubietruck for me...

none can replace a cubietruck for me...

:) CT was my first :wub: 

Spoiler

Not in real action anymore, but serves as a test subject.

P1160644.JPG

If I could also play games

3D support is present in mainline for about a year now ... but performance are not as with legacy / closed drivers. We couldn't manage to brought closed alternative https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/1409 in :(