Help on forum moderating

Igor

Forum is getting messy and I am getting more and more complains about. Traffic is going up and we / people are always prone to seek shortcuts. Its already enough that just a few people are posting wrong content at wrong location that forum gets a bad smell. Personally I and those few active moderators can't do more than we already do. We already use all possible technical equipment to limit the spam, but merging/moving wrongly posted topics can't be done by AI. At least not today.

Please, take a look - all is written there - and apply:

In case you truly want to contribute to this community as a moderator but you don't have enough days or posts require for nomination, please say something at this post.

Hi Igor,

it would be an honour to help you on your project. I highly respect this forum and I'm really interested in ARM Technologies and Debian based distributions. My hat's off to the guys at Armbian to manage a huge project like this :thumbup:
Besides that I'm using SBCs for server solutions another attempt to get a deeper look into ARM technology was to deal with Banana Pi products on Amazon. This attempt cost me a lot of time and in the end I almost lost my company too. The product line of SinoVoip or Bipai Keji (HK) Limited got messier each month. After they fired my main supporter anything got worse. Since then I'm seeking for a new opportunity for my company to get a footstep into the ARM world. Especially the Armbian Forum.

I ceased the Amazon sales last week. Therefore I have a few hours left each week for a new project. So the time would be perfect to support an opensource project. If you're interested, I'd looking forward to get to know each other on the Armbian Forum.
What might interests you as well is that I worked as a first level supporter, almost for elder people, for 3 years. So I know my place if something gets out of control and people gets angry or confused.

The only problem I may see is if you need moderators with short reaction times or too much hours each day. I think I can handle work like once, maybe twice, a day for something around an hour or so - 12/5.

I'm looking forward to read you

Best Regards, _r9

6 hours ago, _r9 said:

it would be an honour to help you on your project. I highly respect this forum and I'm really interested in ARM Technologies and Debian based distributions. My hat's off to the guys at Armbian to manage a huge project like this

Thank you! For this and for your help in the past.

6 hours ago, _r9 said:

So I know my place if something gets out of control and people gets angry or confused.

I don't know if we are generally there yet, but forum ( and me) is getting out of control from time to time. That's my observation, which could be wrong. 

6 hours ago, _r9 said:

The only problem I may see is if you need moderators with short reaction times or too much hours each day. I think I can handle work like once, maybe twice, a day for something around an hour or so - 12/5.

We need reinforcements, otherwise it will remain as is not so good. Hopefully more people will step up since it will be easier for everyone and the only way to keep forum readable, conduct some minimal policy and trying to improve forums on a long run. We want as flat structure as possible - being a moderator should be technical not a political function to limit our power games. Armbian is a technical forum - we don't delete content, but merge, move, reorganise. We ban bots that breaks automated spam machine, we don't ban people unless idiot level is obvious, but warn users when derived from https://forum.armbian.com/terms and https://forum.armbian.com/guidelines

Mistakes will be done on both sides. Which is normal and expected.

People that have moderators rights and are relatively active are: @NicoD @JMCC @chwe @TonyMac32 @balbes150 @lanefu 

Any objections, otherwise welcome!

Inactive: @pfeerick @Xalius @StuxNet (and will be removed shortly if no response)

Hi Igor.

I do not have the rights to accept the offer as moderator.  

But i would like to help, i can't maintain a Kernel or develop..  But sure i want to help in the forum to move wrong posting and edite here and there.  It should be nice place to seek information, also for beginners. 

Nobody want to seek information a place where you get the feeling of being arduous.

I have 20 years self-taugght computing/hardware skills.

If i could help in some way just let me know.

Best Regards.

Application page says my content count is not high enough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am of German descent though, so I like to keep things organized. :D

I am having a little more time now, so I could spend a few hours a week on the forums.

I've been looking for a way to contribute more, as I think this is a very important project. Perhaps this will be the way...

Incidentally, I tend to idle in IRC when online, I know the #armbian channel is not official, but I could also help with our presence there.

Edited by TRS-80
add last sentence; typo

11 hours ago, soerenderfor said:

But sure i want to help in the forum to move wrong posting and edite here and there.  It should be nice place to seek information, also for beginners. 

Moderating forum mainly does not require deep understanding of technology we are working with. Most of the needs are pretty obvious and are connected with people's bugs - laziness, egoism, impatience, ... somebody needs to take action. More people, ideally from different time zones, would bring the pressure of maintaining this forum down to the normal levels. And make this place nicer to use.

I have 20 years self-taugght computing/hardware skills.

If i could help in some way just let me know.

If we focus just on forum. Perhaps it needs some adjustment, cleanup (old stuff), changes (forum re-arranging), preparing and leading new moderator actions like this one once activity fades out? I don't know. I am present everywhere ... and nowhere :(  Forum also has many features we don't use ... but one might find useful. Its a toy which I have little time / joy to play with.

i can't maintain a Kernel or develop

What about BASH scripting? If you (anyone) have some experiences or just want to expand know-how, scripts around https://github.com/armbian/config needs more people than two to be able to bring it out of beta stage. Code need reviewers, comments, analysis.

Welcome!

8 hours ago, Vanitarium said:

I have used forums extensively and I believe that I know the forum and moderator etiquette and need for moderating spam and general forum discipline.

I personally like forums where moderators reply promptly to any queries on the forum by welcoming newcomers and directing them to post in existing threads or tagging the posts people put up without reading the forum. I also like moderators to curate new posts so that they get placed in existing threads.

I hope your position is still available and I would like to apply.

I welcome you to the forum and to the moderators team!

First task is perhaps to get this thread in order - remove not needed posts? :P 

Edit: In case someone doesn't have rights - logout - login might help.

Igor,

I would be happy to assist as a moderator.  I've been a moderator on a number of forums in the past and would love to help out the Armbian community.  I tried to apply through the link bit do not have enough posts.

I am on the east coast of the US (GMT-5).  Please let me know if I can assist.  

Thanks!

On 1/17/2020 at 8:58 AM, Igor said:

hint for new moderators

One of my first thought was wondering if there were enough of these type of little advices to make a wiki page or moderation sub forum, or maybe just a sticky post?

I think such a resource would help to get new moderators up to speed more quickly, and also lessen the impact of inevitable turnover. Maybe as I get to grips with how to perform this new job over the coming days and weeks I could start to collect some brief notes (from perspective of someone brand new to it) and see if such thing will even be necessary...

I am really excited about being able to contribute to such an important project! :)

Thank you Igor.

I will read the term and guidelines and moderate accordingly.

And you are correct, I really did not read them when I joined.

I am happy I can contribute to the Armbian project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Vanitarium said:

I am considering withdrawing as moderator since there are too many negative reactions to my posts and [...]

Please stick around! :)

If I ruffled your feathers by splitting off your posts, I apologize. We are not all going to agree on everything and that's OK. :) My suggestions on forum software were also shot down, as I expected quite honestly. But I will stick around because it's an important project IMO.

The future market for these inexpensive Linux computers is literally developing before our eyes. In years and decades to come I foresee them taking over from x86 architecture. Well at least I hope. Intel has gotten too fat and comfortable and has been doing ridiculous things like firmware level backdoors for a number of years now. Anyway I think they are a dinosaur that doesn't even know they are dead yet. So from my point of view I want to do anything I can to help this project succeed, because it's the only way that we will be able to Have Nice Things going forward...

There may also be some cultural difference here, I was reading some of the Linux CoC posts the other day and someone made the point that Eastern Europeans are very direct (which I personally appreciate). However Western Europeans less so and Americans even less than them. And so going the one way can be seen as offensive/insulting where going the other way can be seen as dancing around the issue. Anyway I thought there might be some bit of truth to that, FWIW.

Please stick around!

YES, please don't leave. We are going to have to determine how this is going to work.

Igor is the owner of all of this so his opinion matters most. Being a moderator is a tough job, we are ALWAYS the bad cop.

Let's work as a team to make the Armbian community better. Yes, it'll take a long time, but our support lets the developers do their magic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 1/17/2020 at 5:43 PM, TRS-80 said:

One of my first thought was wondering if there were enough of these type of little advices to make a wiki page or moderation sub forum, or maybe just a sticky post?

I have split off all the Moderator Tips, Q&A, etc. to the following (large and growing) thread. To me, this thread is for "signing up" and we can (and are) getting into lots of the nitty-gritty of details, guidelines, clarifications, etc. in this other thread:

I also split off posts about Vanitarium's problems accessing post to their own thread.

And split the IRC channel related posts off into their own thread.

Let's try and now keep this thread for new volunteers and welcoming.

• Igor unpinned this topic