CSC Armbian for RK322x TV box boards

jock

53 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

I won't be installing on emmc anytime soon, will the ssv6051p chip (wich I seem to have) be supported in newer kernel(s)?

I guess it will never see mainline kernel again.

The company developing the chip went bankrupt and left this horrible driver that is so messy and confused no one wants to lose time with. The lack of documentation makes things even worse and since it is a low performance device is another disincentive to bring it back to life.

7 minutes ago, jock said:

I guess it will never see mainline kernel again.

The company developing the chip went bankrupt and left this horrible driver that is so messy and confused no one wants to lose time with. The lack of documentation makes things even worse and since it is a low performance device is another disincentive to bring it back to life.

I see, well I guess I will be using the dongle then ;)

I can't get sound to work from the internal audio chip, it worked with the kernel 4 image mantioned before. It works now if I connect an external usb soundcard. Any ideas? And is the accelerated video incorporated in the newest Armbian?

6 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

I can't get sound to work from the internal audio chip, it worked with the kernel 4 image mantioned before. It works now if I connect an external usb soundcard. Any ideas? And is the accelerated video incorporated in the newest Armbian?

Analog sound is not yet in mainline kernel, it works only on 4.4.

Hardware acceleration also is still partial on mainline kernel and it is in heavy work in progress by LibreELEC and kernel teams.

For multimedia features I suggest to stay on kernel 4.4 for now

Congratulations on moving to CSC status.

What do you think, can I already delete old images with the LE bootloader?

You did a great thing with such a large "zoo" of devices on rk322x that I think these firmwares have already lost relevance.

16 hours ago, Maker39 said:

Congratulations on moving to CSC status.

What do you think, can I already delete old images with the LE bootloader?

You did a great thing with such a large "zoo" of devices on rk322x that I think these firmwares have already lost relevance.

Well, many things changed, the installation process is much easier than ever and hardware support if far superior thanks to device tree overlays. I think you may safely remove them ;)

On 7/2/2020 at 4:43 PM, Luis said:

Hello,

your box will probably work fine, just follow the instructions on first page.

About the best image, it is up to what you want to do with the box.

If you want to set up a server, prefer the Debian Minimal. If you want a desktop experience Ubuntu Focal already provides X11.

Legacy 4.4 kernel has most features and is most stable, mainline kernel is for experimentation

Well guys I don't know if you have already done it, but I realized that there was no 3D acceleration on my desk (after installing the video drivers) so I modified the x11 config file and I restarted ... and now i have the tv box which can be used almost like a desktop ...

so Make a backup of the file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/01-armbian-defaults.conf", and replace its content with the following:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Rockchip Graphics"
    Driver      "modesetting"
    Option      "AccelMethod"    "glamor"     ### "glamor" to enable 3D acceleration, "none" to disable 
    Option      "DRI"            "2"

# You can disable Vsync for better 3D benchmark score, at the cost of worst video playing. Not recommended.
    # Option      "Dri2Vsync"      "false"

EndSection
Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1920x1080" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Hello @nokirunner, glad to see you!

Are you using a recent image or it is an older installation?

I ask because recent images with legacy kernel get all the multimedia features enabled, including hardware 3D acceleration, using an autoinstalling media script that can be downloaded on first page.

Mainline kernel images instead should already get 3D acceleration out of the box, despite having slow X11 experience for now.

2 hours ago, jock said:

Hello @nokirunner, glad to see you!

Are you using a recent image or it is an older installation?

hey @jock how are you?
yes, I'm using an old installation, it's working on my sdcard and I'm fiddling with that.
unfortunately on my board, I still can't install on emmc, I checked and I understood that I don't have a nand, my board is strange, if I try to make a firmware flash I fuck the bootloader, and I'm forced to do a maskrom recovery.
however I'm studying, my goal is to keep both android in one partition from a couple of gigabytes and Armbian on a second partition. I have already managed to make one of my armbian sdcard on the second partition in the  emmc and I have been able to boot on the emmc by simply putting

rootdev = UUID = "id of the emmc partition" 

in the  sdcard armbianenv.txt file

my goal is obviously to be able to have a selection menu for multiple os and to be able to use the device without sdcard

Mainline kernel images instead should already get 3D acceleration out of the box, despite having slow X11 experience for now.

putting DRI 3 and glamor in both xorg config files I really had some improvements

1 hour ago, fabiobassa said:

you should put in the env also an olive, some martini and mix, not shake :D

ok other than this , yes would be anice idea have both , compliments for the idea

@fabiobassa hehehe for now I'm having fun when I have some free time ...

@jock
hey I can use firefox from the tv box, and the scrolling of the pages is superfast!,  I managed to activate the 2d acceleration, the only thing is that it takes a long time to load the pages, how could I get around this problem? ... however this is the configuration I'm using on the xorg config file

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Rockchip Graphics"
    Driver      "modesetting"
    Option      "DRI2"            "True"
    Option      "AccelMethod"    "glamor"     ### "glamor" to enable 3D acceleration, "none" to disable 

EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Armsoc-compatible DRM driver"
	Driver		"armsoc"
	Option		"DRI"	"3"
	Option          "AccelMethod"    "glamor" 
EndSection

actually checking the xorg log file it tells me that it takes the first device ... I tried to do the opposite, putting armsoc first ... the configurations took them with armsoc driver, but was slow as the shit  ...

only that doing so, if I start some application with glrun, these seem to go in full screen, which changes resolution but goes in "black screen" and I am forced to force a reboot.

1 hour ago, nokirunner said:

hey I can use firefox from the tv box, and the scrolling of the pages is superfast!,  I managed to activate the 2d acceleration, the only thing is that it takes a long time to load the pages, how could I get around this problem? ... however this is the configuration I'm using on the xorg config file

Yeah firefox scrolling is very good, about the load time... well the CPU is not strong enough for that :unsure:

1 hour ago, nokirunner said:

actually checking the xorg log file it tells me that it takes the first device ... I tried to do the opposite, putting armsoc first ... the configurations took them with armsoc driver, but was slow as the shit  ...

Looking at that onf I'm astonished X.org really starts :D

Are you on legacy or mainline kernel? Because mixing things can be make the box explode!

Good luck for the multiboot project, it is rather interesting and I'm sure a lot of people here will be interested (myself included)

33 minutes ago, jock said:

Yeah firefox scrolling is very good, about the load time... well the CPU is not strong enough for that :unsure:

Looking at that onf I'm astonished X.org really starts :D

Are you on legacy or mainline kernel? Because mixing things can be make the box explode!

Good luck for the multiboot project, it is rather interesting and I'm sure a lot of people here will be interested (myself included)

honestly, I did some mix cocktails, I put kernels and libraries of the latest release of the legacy kernel in the sdcard that worked for me ... so theoretically I'm with the latest release ...
however, the fact is that now I have a good 2d acceleration ... but anyway there is something that engulfs the download and the upload of the browser navigation, I tried midori and it works a little better ...
As for the multi boot project I saw that there is grub for arm u boot but I am still too immature for these steps  :D
https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?t=26894
https://packages.debian.org/sid/grub-uboot

Hello dear community, I am very anxious to be able to use android and armbian for you.
for now, is there any way to start my Android on the sd card? lla armbian I installed it in la nand, thanks for your great support 😀

On 7/6/2020 at 2:32 PM, Luis said:

Hello dear community, I am very anxious to be able to use android and armbian for you.
for now, is there any way to start my Android on the sd card? lla armbian I installed it in la nand, thanks for your great support 😀

If you mean swap the two operating systems it is possible to write Android to a SD-card and run it from there. Weather you'll ba able to write Armbian to NAND is another matter, I haven't tried it but reports say it is possible. What kind of box do you have?

On 7/6/2020 at 2:32 PM, Luis said:

If I remember well, once I tried to run Android from sdcard on a rk3288 tv box, but it didn't work. I just didn't spent any more time on that because the Android version was ancient (4.4) and had better things to do :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Reddwarf said:

Si quiere intercambiar los dos sistemas operativos, es posible escribir Android en una tarjeta SD y ejecutarlo desde allí. El tiempo que puedas escribir Armbian en NAND es otro asunto, no lo he intentado pero los informes dicen que es posible. ¿Qué tipo de caja tienes?

hello dear friend I have a v88 4k box and on my board it says ....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17bBQq23VBsiFqbnj5T5zbD5BUbZnPNC1/view?usp=drivesdk

Is it possible to overclock these boxes? I've tried modifying the dtb but it seems that nothing works? It can go to ~1.4Ghz just fine but anything beyond that gets "ignored" I was hoping that I could go to 1.5Ghz but it seems that something is holding me back at 1.4Ghz it is not unstable or anything but if it would be possible to remove the "restriction" I would be really happy. I am using Armbian_20.08.0-trunk_Rk322x-box_focal_legacy_4.4.194_desktop

Edited by Yeoj Henrie Sayadi

On 7/11/2020 at 8:22 AM, Yeoj Henrie said:

Hello! I opened my box and it has KMF720012M-B214 which is a 8GB e.MMC D-die R11 and 8Gb LPDDR3 SDRAM B-die R02 so it is a 1GB ram right? or is it 8gb ram if so, how do i address that much ram if it would be possible

Hello, eMMC is 8GB, GB here stands for gigabytes.

RAM memories are advestised to the general public in gigabytes also, but the technical datasheets of the chips reports the chip sizes in gigabits, so 8 gigabits = 1 gigabyte.

20 hours ago, Yeoj Henrie Sayadi said:

Is it possible to overclock these boxes? I've tried modifying the dtb but it seems that nothing works? It can go to ~1.4Ghz just fine but anything beyond that gets "ignored" I was hoping that I could go to 1.5Ghz but it seems that something is holding me back at 1.4Ghz it is not unstable or anything but if it would be possible to remove the "restriction" I would be really happy. I am using Armbian_20.08.0-trunk_Rk322x-box_focal_legacy_4.4.194_desktop

Clock frequencies are "unrestricted", in the sense you can set the device tree to report the SoC is capable of any reasonable frequency. A restriction, as @hexdump said, is applied to the voltage you set for a specific OPP: the SoC frequency is linked to the voltage regulator which has to be programmed on the fly to provide higher or lower voltages depending on the operating frequency. The regulator also has an operating voltage range (also described in the device tree) and the kernel will cut out those OPPs that are requesting voltages outside this range. dmesg will tell you if an OPP has been cut away.

Overclocking these chips should be quite easy, but don't expect great performance advancements, they are low power chips and the architecture is quite old nowadays.

Lately instead I was trying to undervolt them to see if I can let them consume less current and produce less heat too and I think there is great room for improvement here.