CSC Armbian for RK322x TV box boards

jock

@nokirunner

this was exactly the same question when I approached to linux study on those devices:

well . thanks to study and many people that explained to me now I know that linux IS NOT android and the opposite is also true, and YES they violate the GPL but if you are able to go in China to yell on this, well buy a ticket for me too.
In case of wifi they don't violate any since is proprietary driver and nowhere is written that they must open the code to every one

the desktop subsystem is perfect on Android with all jingles and bells, now you take the SAME kernel they use, the same modules and libraries they have in rootfs  and NO!!!  it doesn't work at the same manner under linux,  and since we must adapt something to linux phylosophy and we HAVEN'T documentation sometimes at all, sometimes half-half , I truly believe that is quite  a  miracle we have a true linux platform on those devices

sadly to admit it but this is the truth

On 10/2/2020 at 2:09 PM, jock said:

Unfortunately not, the ssv6x5x is only for ssv6256p chip. People at SSV company are not very well acquainted with names and IDs, in fact they used the very same ID 3030:3030 for both ssv6051 and ssv6256p wifi chips and the driver name is also confusing (looking at ssv6x5x you may think it works for ssv6051 too, but it doesn't -_- )

Did you download the image you installed recently? This was a problem of u-boot and has been solved months ago. LibreELEC had the same issue, but has been fixed. If you use a fresh image you should get a stable MAC address.

Hey, 

Thank you very much your explanation. I haven't tried the ssv6x5x driver. 

Actually I'm not sure yet if wifi mac changes every reboot or the eth0. 

I actually installed the newest image of you 20.08 legacy kernel. 

Is it maybe because I did it wrong with the option "burn flash to Rom"? But I didn't install the idbloader. It recommended not to install, so I didn't install it. 

As far as I understand @fabiobassahe also thinks we need the unclean workaround.

How can I actually get the real Mac address? It's not the one on the bottom of my box because I changed pcb once and did not write it down somewhere... 

In my experience with ifconfig I get after each reboot the different Mac addresses as it is recognized in my DHCP. 

4 minutes ago, Alex83 said:

How can I actually get the real Mac address? It's not the one on the bottom of my box because I changed pcb once and did not write it down somewhere... 

In my experience with ifconfig I get after each reboot the different Mac addresses as it is recognized in my DHCP. 

Hehe, there is no real eth0 mac address :P

These tvbox don't have the MAC address stored somewhere, like proper SBCs do. The Asus Tinkerboard (an rk3288 board) for example has a small EEPROM where it keeps the MAC address and other details (like the serial number) things stored.

Our boxes can't afford the EEPROM to keep these things stored, so the MAC address is calculated from the SoC serial number during the boot process. U-boot is responsible for this and before the patch it was unable to read the SoC efuse (where the SoC serial number is stored), so the MAC address was calculated randomly at each boot.

Wifi mac address is stored in the Wifi chip efuse and the wifi driver is responsible for assigning that and this is rarely problematic.

On 10/2/2020 at 2:09 PM, jock said:

Unfortunately not, the ssv6x5x is only for ssv6256p chip. People at SSV company are not very well acquainted with names and IDs, in fact they used the very same ID 3030:3030 for both ssv6051 and ssv6256p wifi chips and the driver name is also confusing (looking at ssv6x5x you may think it works for ssv6051 too, but it doesn't -_- )

Did you download the image you installed recently? This was a problem of u-boot and has been solved months ago. LibreELEC had the same issue, but has been fixed. If you use a fresh image you should get a stable MAC address.

Hey, 

Thank you very much your explanation. I haven't tried the ssv6x5x driver. 

Actually I'm not sure yet if wifi mac changes every reboot or the eth0. 

I actually installed the newest image of you 20.08 legacy kernel. 

Is it maybe because I did it wrong with the option "burn flash to Rom"? But I didn't install the idbloader. It recommended not to install, so I didn't install it. 

As far as I understand @fabiobassahe also thinks we need the unclean workaround.

Tga

8 hours ago, jock said:

Hehe, there is no real eth0 mac address :P

These tvbox don't have the MAC address stored somewhere, like proper SBCs do. The Asus Tinkerboard (an rk3288 board) for example has a small EEPROM where it keeps the MAC address and other details (like the serial number) things stored.

Our boxes can't afford the EEPROM to keep these things stored, so the MAC address is calculated from the SoC serial number during the boot process. U-boot is responsible for this and before the patch it was unable to read the SoC efuse (where the SoC serial number is stored), so the MAC address was calculated randomly at each boot.

Wifi mac address is stored in the Wifi chip efuse and the wifi driver is responsible for assigning that and this is rarely problematic.

Thanks for that important information. 

But how can I get the true and only correct wifi mac? Doesn't this also change if it's not the correct one in efuse? 

Do I get for sure the real wifi mac with ifconfig? 

Is there any chance to get reboot work and to get rid of the kernel update error during each 

apt update && apt upgrade

It would be great! Maybe we can use the device for headless wifi audio cards for multiroom or server use cases like tvheadend or samba server on this device. 

22 hours ago, Alex83 said:

But how can I get the true and only correct wifi mac? Doesn't this also change if it's not the correct one in efuse? 

Do I get for sure the real wifi mac with ifconfig? 

wifi never gave me issues with MAC address. ifconfig gives you the MAC address in use by the interface.

22 hours ago, Alex83 said:

Is there any chance to get reboot work and to get rid of the kernel update error during each 

yes, you can use armbian-config and freeze the kernel updates, so it won't update the kernel anymore.

You can also do hold packages manually using apt-mark hold

@jock
@fabiobassa

Dpkg: error processing package linux-image-legacy-rk322x (--configure) : installed linux-image-legacy-rk322x package post-installation scripts subprocess returned error exit status 1

Errors were encountered while processing :

linux-image-legacy-rk322x 
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

It always happen when I try to

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

My board rk3229 Mxq pro 4k NAND

Hope it can fix soon

Sent from my SM-C9000 using Tapatalk

On 10/6/2020 at 6:12 AM, tediwildan said:

@jock
@fabiobassa

Dpkg: error processing package linux-image-legacy-rk322x (--configure) : installed linux-image-legacy-rk322x package post-installation scripts subprocess returned error exit status 1

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Hope it can fix soon emoji106.png

That's exactly what also happens with my V88 Mini 4k Box. 

To say what's best you need to define what you wanna do. 

Rk3328 is much more powerful of it's hardware than rk3229 products. I Can't tell you what's the difference between rk3228a and rk3228b. 

I can tell you that I own a device Alfawise Z28 Pro which has 1000Mbit/s LAN and wifi ac with 5GHz and USB 3.0. Unfortunately not im use because im not sure if I can use the Z28 images from a similar box. 

Anyway I think rk3229 has no USB3. 0 and 1000Mbit/s ETH support and maybe also no wifi ac. But with wifi I am not sure. 

Big + point for rk3229 was at least the price. They were the cheapest of the cheap china crap... ;)

I'm still not sure if we could use it for wifi speaker projects or multiroom music if you combine it with some cheap Bluetooth or old speakers laying around in the corners. 

My developer feeling are more and more, we try to develop what Amazon already did or what capable developers here could do with headaches. They wanna safe there headaches and use what are already on the market with Amazon products in this area. 

I just see that the dot speakers don't support multiroom or wifi for longer distances to be used for music or audio output of your phone or independently used services. 

And last point performance. 

I'm not sure how we should compare the devices in the future. It depends mainly how stable is the system are there problems with temperature or freezing. That's my major focus. Second I compare with Iperf3 performances in localhost interfaces 

For example I see a maximum performance of ~640 Mbit/s on my rk3229 V88 Mini 4k devices while my orange Pi PC pushes 2,5 Gbit/s over localhost if and my Banana Pi with 1Gbe Interface just pushes 1,4 Gbit/s and M2plus pushes 2 Gbit/s. 

Anyway as long as the Iperf3 throughput is at least ~1,5x the maximum the chipset is able to push it's fair enough for me. 

The wireguard througput is approximately the same by the way... 

That are the interesting aspects for me and my purposes. 

Edited by Alex83
Sorry, mixed up with rk3228 with 3328

@Alex83
The difference among 322x is not clear but in general should be the speed (3229 up to 1.4 ghz ) and the capability of executing some trusted operations for DRM content, infact the trust os image that boots on 3229 doesn' t boot on 3228

And . as I did in other post, we continue to make comparements with SBCs that are SBCs and not tvboxes 

For example I see a maximum performance of ~640 Mbit/s on my rk3229 V88 Mini 4k devices while my orange Pi PC pushes 2,5 Gbit/s over localhost if and my Banana Pi with 1Gbe Interface just pushes 1,4 Gbit/s and M2plus pushes 2 Gbit/s. 

If the results are not good for then you stay on banana or orange, or even on apple or ananas. Easy, no ?

But cannot compare two different class of objects only because they both run the same os  ( linux ). All progresses on those board were made by studies, trial and errors, pray :-) , hammers ..... none  or few documentations .

A good approach on these Community Study Case (csc) is apport infos, ideas, intutition and not say "pineapple board have 2 giga speed". 
that already is known but .. cannot go further maybe for insufficient  hardware resources or maybe for lack of documentation ( the ssv driver was half rewritten by jock )

Just for informations about the voice recognition and so on, all the project around rk3229 started since I realized that respeaker did exactly THIS on a product with rk3229 so if you need apis and sources you can grab there for an ALEXA thing

https://respeaker.io/rk3229_core/

You could find usefull infos there

@tediwildan

Not sure about real temperature reported. 77 celsius is something HOT but really HOT,  capable to make injury on skin or flesh. You can try to touch the heater with a wet finger but I suppose ( my idea, not tested ) real temperature is less.

Last info : don't upgrade kernel, it doesn't exist in official repos since this is optimized , and as @jock already reccomended, block kernel updates 

7 hours ago, tediwildan said:

CPU temp emoji24.pngemoji24.pngemoji24.png

I agree with you, rk3229 is a crap emoji16.png32eb7e8d7766c5ea2760869bec602121.jpg

I don't know, I tend not to trust these measures, my soc also measured 80 - 90 degrees, with no particular operation except a desktop started. yet when I touched the heatsink it seemed quite warm.  Could it be that they are not degrees celsius?

On 10/6/2020 at 12:56 PM, Alex83 said:

Measuring the performance over localhost is a bit pointless. You're measuring how much data the kernel TCP/IP stack is capable of pushing trough: fundamentally, the faster the CPU, the higher the number. Quality and speed of the ethernet interface is totally unrelated to this.

On 10/6/2020 at 12:56 PM, Alex83 said:

Rk3228 is much more powerful of it's hardware than rk3229 products. I Can't tell you what's the difference between rk3228a and rk3228b. 

I can tell you that I own a device Alfawise Z28 Pro which has 1000Mbit/s LAN and wifi ac with 5GHz and USB 3.0. Unfortunately not im use because im not sure if I can use the Z28 images from a similar box. 

Anyway I think rk3229 has no USB3. 0 and 1000Mbit/s ETH support and maybe also no wifi ac. But with wifi I am not sure. 

That's the opposite:

* rk3229 is the "big" brother,

* rk3228b is a trust-os stripped down rk3229

* rk3228a is a slower rk3228b (1.2ghz for cores, 400 Mhz for GPU)

At least this is what we are guessing, because there is no official documentation about the differences.

The attached peripherals (wifi/bluetooth mostly) are totally random, depending mostly on how much old is the board; but it is way impossibile that you get USB3 and Gigabit ethernet on these three SoC because they lack the physical interfaces. Sure, the manufacturers could add other chip to handle that, but it would be an added cost on machines that have their unique selling point of being cheap.

@jock
@fabiobassa

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Rk3328 is much more powerful of it's hardware than rk3229 products. I Can't tell you what's the difference between rk3328a and rk3328b. 

Big + point for rk3229 was at least the price. They were the cheapest of the cheap china crap... ;)

I'm still not sure if we could use it for wifi speaker projects or multiroom music if you combine it with some cheap Bluetooth or old speakers laying around in the corners. 

My developer feeling are more and more, we try to develop what Amazon already did or what capable developers here could do with headaches. They wanna safe there headaches and use what are already on the market with Amazon products in this area. 

I just see that the dot speakers don't support multiroom or wifi for longer distances to be used for music or audio output of your phone or independently used services. 

I'm not sure how we should compare the devices in the future. It depends mainly how stable is the system are there problems with temperature or freezing. That's my major focus. Second I compare with Iperf3 performances in localhost interfaces 

Anyway as long as the Iperf3 throughput is at least ~1,5x the maximum the chipset is able to push it's fair enough for me. 

Pointless is not the best description to a minimum performance test. In my opinion it's at least necessary to be faster with localhost test before you maybe try to find somewhere else a bottleneck. 

OK, to the mystery documentary 

Try it here

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://rockchip.fr/RK3229%20datasheet%20V1.2.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi8m8u-4qLsAhWD3KQKHcrnA94QFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw04G_NC0ZGWTu4xUFSjJr0X

Or here

http://rockchip.wikidot.com/rk3229

In my opinion there are no big secrets anymore about rk3229. 

The big brother is maybe just meant to the technology of transistor image. 

The newer generation is the rk3328 chipset which also supports 64 bit beside all the advantages I mentioned already above. 

@Alex83

But Alex we are speaking of different products

you said 3328   3 3 2 8
we said  3228   3 2 2 8  there is one cipher differing
so right hierarchy of cpu is 
3228 a 

3228 b

3328 ( well exactly 3318 and then 3328 ) and those are 64 bit and gigabit ports

yes the board you speaking about is 3328 no mistery about tht because is widely used

Concerning 3228a/b and 3229 TOTAL mistery !!! Also the document you linked we have it since one year now but is useless without another manual that is called TRM and of it we have just spare parts

14 hours ago, fabiobassa said:

@Alex83

But Alex we are speaking of different products

you said 3328   3 3 2 8
we said  3228   3 2 2 8  there is one cipher differing
so right hierarchy of cpu is 
3228 a 

3228 b

3328 ( well exactly 3318 and then 3328 ) and those are 64 bit and gigabit ports

yes the board you speaking about is 3328 no mistery about tht because is widely used

Concerning 3228a/b and 3229 TOTAL mistery !!! Also the document you linked we have it since one year now but is useless without another manual that is called TRM and of it we have just spare parts

Right one! :thumbup:

It's the rk3328 that has the USB3 port and two ethernet interfaces, one is gigabit and the other is fast ethernet. Usually on tv-boxes only the fast ethernet is wired in to keep costs down, but you can find SBCs (like the RockPi-E) with both.

@jock
@fabiobassa

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

Rk3228 is much more powerful of it's hardware than rk3229 products. I Can't tell you what's the difference between rk3228a and rk3228b. 

On 10/7/2020 at 3:51 PM, jock said:

Measuring the performance over localhost is a bit pointless. You're measuring how much data the kernel TCP/IP stack is capable of pushing trough: fundamentally, the faster the CPU, the higher the number. Quality and speed of the ethernet interface is totally unrelated to this.

That's the opposite:

* rk3229 is the "big" brother,

* rk3228b is a trust-os stripped down rk3229

* rk3228a is a slower rk3228b (1.2ghz for cores, 400 Mhz for GPU)

At least this is what we are guessing, because there is no official documentation about the differences.

The attached peripherals (wifi/bluetooth mostly) are totally random, depending mostly on how much old is the board; but it is way impossibile that you get USB3 and Gigabit ethernet on these three SoC because they lack the physical interfaces. Sure, the manufacturers could add other chip to handle that, but it would be an added cost on machines that have their unique selling point of being cheap.

Hey guys thanks for the correction! I didn't know that there is even more crappie shit out of hell than our lovely rk3229 devices... 

But I'm happy that you are also taking care about that.

Have you found out if rk3229 is for sure 32-bit? Sometimes I read it should also use 64-bit, but I think it's just 32-bit and for sure a long term killer than... 

The best thing about rk3229 what I found out within the last years of research with this little Devils and other devices from Amlogic and Allwinner is that these rk3229 tvboxes have best power/watts ratio. 

It just uses 3W with my measurement series and you get a quad core with 4x1,2Ghz running with wifi. 

I'm having an issue getting the multitool SD card image to run on my RK3229 nand board, hoping someone may be able to help.

Dumps below from the UART interface (two separate boots of the same image to capture initial SoC output at 1500000 baud and armbian output at 115200 baud.

In
300MHz
DDR3
Bus Width=32 Col=10 Bank=8 Row=15 CS=1 Die Bus-Width=16 Size=1024MB
mach:2
OUT
Boot1 Release Time: 2016-03-15, version: 2.31
ChipType = c 276
No.1 FLASH ID:ad de 14 a7 42 4a
ECC:60
SdmmcInit=0 0
BootCapSize=0
UserCapSize=39c6000
FwPartOffset=2000 , 0
StorageInit ok = 520688
SecureMode : SBOOT_MODE_NS
Loder code check ok! theLoader 0x61000000, loadaddr: 0x2000
Loder code check ok! theLoader 0x68400000, loadaddr: 0x4000
INF [0x0] TEE-CORE:init_primary_helper:377: Initializing (1.1.0-297-ga4fd2d1 #1 Thu May 17 10:22:22 UTC 2018 arm)

INF [0x0] TEE-CORE:init_primary_helper:378: Release version: 2.0

INF [0x0] TEE-CORE:init_primary_helper:379: Next entry point address: 0x61000000

INF [0x0] TEE-CORE:init_teecore:83: teecore inits done

U-Boot 2020.01-armbian (Apr 15 2020 - 12:30:37 +0000)

Model: Generic Rockchip rk322x TV Box board
DRAM:  1010 MiB
MMC:   dwmmc@30000000: 1, dwmmc@30020000: 0
Loading Environment from EXT4... Card did not respond to voltage select!
In:    serial@11030000
Out:   serial@11030000
Err:   serial@11030000
Model: Generic Rockchip rk322x TV Box board
rockchip_dnl_key_pressed: adc_channel_single_shot fail!
Net:   eth0: ethernet@30200000
starting USB...
Bus usb@30040000: scanning bus usb@30040000 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
stopping USB..
starting USB...
Bus usb@30040000: scanning bus usb@30040000 for devices... 1 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
Card did not respond to voltage select!

Device 0: unknown device
Card did not respond to voltage select!
Speed: 100, full duplex
BOOTP broadcast 1
BOOTP broadcast 2
BOOTP broadcast 3
DHCP client bound to address 192.168.1.145 (1005 ms)
*** ERROR: `serverip' not set
Cannot autoload with TFTPGET
missing environment variable: pxeuuid
missing environment variable: bootfile
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/01-52-7d-88-b9-f6-2c
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/C0A80191
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/C0A8019
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/C0A801
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/C0A80
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/C0A8
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/C0A
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/C0
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/C
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm-rk322x-rk322x-box
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm-rk322x
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default-arm
Retrieving file: pxelinux.cfg/default
Config file not found
BOOTP broadcast 1
DHCP client bound to address 192.168.1.145 (5 ms)
BOOTP broadcast 1
DHCP client bound to address 192.168.1.145 (4 ms)
=>

@the_collector looks quite regular, except for the fact u-boot does not see the sd card at all.

Device 0: unknown device message is very suspicious, maybe you get a different board that requires different gpio configuration. Could you provide some details, like a couple of photos, the board name (usually it is printed on the PCB, like R329Q_v3.0 or XT-MX1VR, etc...)

@Alex83 @tediwildan I checked the issue with apt-get upgrade and actually it happens only on NAND boards due to some misbehaving code in armbian. I'm fixing the issue, in the meantime you can plug an sdcard in the sd slot and then run apt-get upgrade: the presence of the sdcard in the slot is sufficient to avoid the issue and the upgrade should install fine.

[mention=8117]Alex83[/mention] [mention=9256]tediwildan[/mention] I checked the issue with apt-get upgrade and actually it happens only on NAND boards due to some misbehaving code in armbian. I'm fixing the issue, in the meantime you can plug an sdcard in the sd slot and then run apt-get upgrade: the presence of the sdcard in the slot is sufficient to avoid the issue and the upgrade should install fine.
Many thanks@jock

Now I can upgrade the system, the only issue on my tvbox is wifi doesnt work after I install LXQT desktop On armbian buster fca7a8524cdc6e0db20992f492530e8b.jpg

1 hour ago, tediwildan said:

Many thanks@jock

Now I can upgrade the system, the only issue on my tvbox is wifi doesnt work after I install LXQT desktop On armbian buster emoji24.pngfca7a8524cdc6e0db20992f492530e8b.jpg

Be sure to have armbian-firmware package updated, try to run apt-get dist-upgrade to get all the packages. In case you are holding pack some packages (maybe with armbian-config), unhold them and then upgrade again.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:52 AM, jock said:

@the_collector looks quite regular, except for the fact u-boot does not see the sd card at all.

Device 0: unknown device message is very suspicious, maybe you get a different board that requires different gpio configuration. Could you provide some details, like a couple of photos, the board name (usually it is printed on the PCB, like R329Q_v3.0 or XT-MX1VR, etc...)

@jock Thank you! That was enough of a clue to get this working (albeit an awful hack), while the loader on my SoC seems to not want to boot from a USB device I figured out that if a USB flash drive with the extlinux.conf is in the OTG port the boot process can proceed as expected. This workaround is fine, though I couldn't find the source for multitool to start debugging further.

The box I have is marked externally as a MXR 4k bought from a seller on Amazon UK September 2016. The board however is marked 'MXQ-RK3229-D16', version '0.9A' on the silkscreen. With a whole bunch of missing optional(?) components.

Top side

VtblPAM.jpg

Bottom side

u70eWo3.jpg

UART is on the group of three vias centre bottom: GND, TX, RX.

(I also feel I have to point out I had nothing to do with the mess of burnt flux on the IR-rx :D, shonky cheap boards be shonky).

28 minutes ago, the_collector said:

@jock Thank you! That was enough of a clue to get this working (albeit an awful hack), while the loader on my SoC seems to not want to boot from a USB device I figured out that if a USB flash drive with the extlinux.conf is in the OTG port the boot process can proceed as expected. This workaround is fine, though I couldn't find the source for multitool to start debugging further.

The box I have is marked externally as a MXR 4k bought from a seller on Amazon UK September 2016. The board however is marked 'MXQ-RK3229-D16', version '0.9A' on the silkscreen. With a whole bunch of missing optional(?) components.

Top side

VtblPAM.jpg

Bottom side

u70eWo3.jpg

UART is on the group of three vias centre bottom: GND, TX, RX.

(I also feel I have to point out I had nothing to do with the mess of burnt flux on the IR-rx :D, shonky cheap boards be shonky).

Glad you went a step further.

This looks definitely a new board I never dealt with.

The multitool sources are available on my repository https://github.com/paolosabatino/multitool

However if you can boot the multitool from the USB stick you can get a shell and look into dmesg for further details, like for example if the emmc and sdcard are seen by the kernel, it's a starting point to understand why u-boot does not detect the sdcard.

You should also be able to interrupt the u-boot bootstrap and use it's interactive shell to get further info about the mmc subsystem. Commands like mmc info and mmc list should be useful to start with. U-boot shell has its own shell commands, but you should be easily find them somewhere on the net.

Aargh. I'm running debian buster image ("stock" image from armbian download page with legacy 4.4 kernel) on a RK3228a MXQ pro box with 2G DDR3 and 16G sandisk EMMC.

Lately the box does not respond sometimes after reboot with updated kernel from armbian repositories (especially after compiles reaching temp 78C).

I can't get GLES  (with proprietary mali blobs), NEON enabled code or a custom retropie install based on kmsdrm/gbm/mali (no fbdev) running reliably on any kernel/image; killing or exiting a GLES executable and running it again will result in a completely unresponsive box immediately or after a one or two rinse-and-repeats. (gcc -march=native detection yields vpf3-d16 while cpuinfo shows neon/vpf4 flags?).

It's pretty stable as headless, as soon as I use hardware acceleration it is not... (The debian buster image is also notably faster than the focal image, both stripped console only, same kernel). No kernel panics whatsoever.

The multitool always runs reliably :lol:, Also tried with USB powering the board and I'm wildly guessing I just borked the board somehow (defective pmu?) and ready to bin the box (scooped it out once more), just curious how to go about and check hardware components and in which order as I'm pretty lost in this area but content it's the only thing left I can learn from it.

7 hours ago, xwiggen said:

Aargh. I'm running debian buster image ("stock" image from armbian download page with legacy 4.4 kernel) on a RK3228a MXQ pro box with 2G DDR3 and 16G sandisk EMMC.

Lately the box does not respond sometimes after reboot with updated kernel from armbian repositories (especially after compiles reaching temp 78C).

I can't get GLES  (with proprietary mali blobs), NEON enabled code or a custom retropie install based on kmsdrm/gbm/mali (no fbdev) running reliably on any kernel/image; killing or exiting a GLES executable and running it again will result in a completely unresponsive box immediately or after a one or two rinse-and-repeats. (gcc -march=native detection yields vpf3-d16 while cpuinfo shows neon/vpf4 flags?).

It's pretty stable as headless, as soon as I use hardware acceleration it is not... (The debian buster image is also notably faster than the focal image, both stripped console only, same kernel). No kernel panics whatsoever.

The multitool always runs reliably :lol:, Also tried with USB powering the board and I'm wildly guessing I just borked the board somehow (defective pmu?) and ready to bin the box (scooped it out once more), just curious how to go about and check hardware components and in which order as I'm pretty lost in this area but content it's the only thing left I can learn from it.

Well... it's pretty difficult to say if your board is borked or not, usually backpowering via USB is safe but manufacturers suggest to avoid.

Anyway mali blobs have always had a bad reputation, and Mali400/450 drivers are terrible, so it is expected that you get an unresponsive system after some tries, it happened to me too, expecially if you are running thing in X11.

NEON code should run pretty fine, didn't try by myself but I don't see a valid reason it should not. Also GBM consumers, like Kodi in fullscreen, should run better and be more stable than X11 applications.

You may give a chance to mainline kernel with Lima, maybe compiling the latest debian which has very recent Mesa.

About gcc, it is not detection, but it is more like configuration: it is probably configured as vpf3-d16 by debian people on armhf, but you can override using -mtune and the other command line options.

2 hours ago, jock said:

Well... it's pretty difficult to say if your board is borked or not, usually backpowering via USB is safe but manufacturers suggest to avoid.

Anyway mali blobs have always had a bad reputation, and Mali400/450 drivers are terrible, so it is expected that you get an unresponsive system after some tries, it happened to me too, expecially if you are running thing in X11.

NEON code should run pretty fine, didn't try by myself but I don't see a valid reason it should not. Also GBM consumers, like Kodi in fullscreen, should run better and be more stable than X11 applications.

You may give a chance to mainline kernel with Lima, maybe compiling the latest debian which has very recent Mesa.

Unfortunately later kernels (just tried rk322x 5.8.14 debs from apt.armbian, but also 5.x images) drop to initramfs, which I do not how to resolve;

Loading, please wait....
Starting version 241
-etc-
Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done
-repeated ~20 times-
done.
Gave up waiting for root files system device. Common problems:
-Boot args
-check rootdelay
-missing modules
ALERT! UUID=.... does not exist Dropping to a shell!
(initramfs)

The UUID mentioned is correct.

14 hours ago, xwiggen said:

Unfortunately later kernels (just tried rk322x 5.8.14 debs from apt.armbian, but also 5.x images) drop to initramfs, which I do not how to resolve;

Loading, please wait....
Starting version 241
-etc-
Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done
-repeated ~20 times-
done.
Gave up waiting for root files system device. Common problems:
-Boot args
-check rootdelay
-missing modules
ALERT! UUID=.... does not exist Dropping to a shell!
(initramfs)

The UUID mentioned is correct.

Urgh, that's bad :unsure: dmesg should tell us something more, if you can upload it here it will be surely useful!

Did you have your rootfs on eMMC or sdcard? I'd rather check on my boxes for the same behaviour, looks like something is missing/messing with device trees and mass storage device disappears.

TBH, I never tried to upgrade from legacy to mainline via apt-get recently, so I hope there isn't a hole there. Stay tuned, I'll check ASAP.

edit: don't you have NAND mass storage, do you? If so everything explains easily since NAND is not supported on mainline because there is no driver