CSC Armbian for RK322x TV box boards

jock

3 hours ago, fabiobassa said:

Perfect @Charles Bauer
nice work and again I hope your project can fly high .

May be could be a nice thing give credits in your document to @jockthat personally wrote the multitool , to myself and to armbian project in general, since without this base the whole goal wouldn't have been possible

Go on with this effort to bring low cost tecnology to kids of your country !!!

Hi Fabio!

I will definitely do that. It was my failure due to the anxiety of creating the document and sharing our evolution. How should I reference you? By nicknames?

Regards,

Charles Bauer

4 hours ago, jock said:

Hello.

Can't read from the board photos if your flash is NAND or eMMC; in case of NAND (multitool tells you), you can't flash mainline kernel and expect it works. Mainline kernel will work from sdcard though.

In case you have eMMC, as usual we don't have the crystal ball and without the logs from the serial adapter can't guess anything.

Hi Jock

Thanks for the reply
It is eMMC

@Charles Bauer

Yes Charles, by nicknames would be nice, even if many many other in some way contributed to this development, I think to @knaerzche, to @hexdump , to justin swartz, to willerson and in general to all the person mentioned in the first post and that crossed and mixted their experiences with ours.
A formula like "credits to  jock, knaerzche, fabiobassa, hexdump and all the guys from armbian" .... and a link to the first post of this 3ad could be a nice idea , but this is my personal way of writing, of course you will adapt to your personal feelings and sensibility.

Good luck for your project

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Charles Bauer:

Hi @RaptorSDS,

1 - I just have access to NAND boxes till now. As long as during our project we got other kinds We will write other tutorials. That´s what I expect to do.

2- I did not got what you mean. Should I format the SD card before writing multitool.img?

3 - I did not got what you mean. Shoul I change the order of the modifications? I used vi because it´s what I know.

Thanks for the feedbacks!

for 1 - ok only nand thats ok

for 2 - please ignore i did not know multitool can handle gzip/XZ/tar and that the fat partition should be bigger ( its was maybe a bug that my sdcard had only 800mb fat partition)

for 3 - i work most of the time in CLI so "nano" it what i know  feel free to use "vi" , thats my personal thought to change order and modifcate armbianEnv.txt direct after "rk322x-config"

Hi @jock!

Tks for have written multitool!

Let me ask, is it open source?

I would like do modify multitool to convert the tv box without asking any question.

It would be nice to have it because we have to convert 700 boxes per hour until the end of the year. And as we are planning a industry process to do that we need to optimize every part of our process.

Thank you a lot!

5 hours ago, Charles Bauer said:

Hi @jock!

Tks for have written multitool!

Let me ask, is it open source?

I would like do modify multitool to convert the tv box without asking any question.

It would be nice to have it because we have to convert 700 boxes per hour until the end of the year. And as we are planning a industry process to do that we need to optimize every part of our process.

Thank you a lot!

Of course it is opensource: https://github.com/paolosabatino/multitool

Hello guys, this time @fabiobassa and me needs a bit of help :P

We encountered the board you can see in the photo. It is from the Indian manufacturer AEMS and has the IPB900 marking on the PCB.

We could not find the original firmware because it arrived with a badly flashed firmware.

It looks like the board is a bit different than usual, so some things are not perfectly working and it is also overheating a bit: we thing we could arrange things a bit better for this board, but we need the original firmware or at least the original device tree.

If anyone has this board and has the original firmware or a backup of the original firmware, it would be great if he/she could share to let us study it.

The board seems to be one of the best in terms of performance for rk322x, so it is a pity if it could not be supported well enough.

Thanks!

ipb900_1 ipb900_2

Jock

In both figures, the chipset is cover with the dissipator. Is it a RK322X?  Normally, with the data about the correct CPU,  ROM and RAM, try apply to use a similar software. I did it once with  success on an ANDROID ROM from another manufacturer.

claudio

PS: Jock, I just sent you a private message about a question on multitool. Feel free to put it in this forum

12 hours ago, ccs1664 said:

In both figures, the chipset is cover with the dissipator. Is it a RK322X?  Normally, with the data about the correct CPU,  ROM and RAM, try apply to use a similar software. I did it once with  success on an ANDROID ROM from another manufacturer.

Nope, we don't just need something that runs, we need the original firmware because only the original device tree can tell us the missing pieces

34 minutes ago, RaptorSDS said:

@jock its look like my Leelbox Q2 board in many ways , but my has AP6255 and the front LCD clock display

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12656-csc-armbian-for-rk322x-tv-boxes/?do=findComment&comment=123806

Thanks a lot!!

It looks like the board are exactly the same, probably they are clones of some sort: mine is labeled IPB900, yours T95N_RK3229. The external chassis has printed T95V Pro, fantasy names :D

I can see that the components, power regulators and soldering pads (leds, serial, diodes, ...) are placed in the same position and the soldering pads.

Can't remember if you already uploaded the original firmware or dtb, did you?

vor 9 Minuten schrieb jock:

Thanks a lot!!

It looks like the board are exactly the same, probably they are clones of some sort: mine is labeled IPB900, yours T95N_RK3229. The external chassis has printed T95V Pro, fantasy names :D

I can see that the components, power regulators and soldering pads (leds, serial, diodes, ...) are placed in the same position and the soldering pads.

Can't remember if you already uploaded the original firmware or dtb, did you?

i have a backup of my android 6 (multiboot) but i do not had  extract the dtb from Android -> some amazon reseller are als sold this box with android 8 ( but i have not found any update rom from android 6 to android 8 )

thats the one from me android 6

https://www.amazon.de/Neueste-Leelbox-Q2-Android-unterstützt-Schwarz/dp/B074PX2T9R

same box with android 8

https://www.amazon.de/Leelbox-Android-Volles-H-265-Version/dp/B07PHK9N31

last website from leelbox(i do not now if this original leelbox website , leelbox-tech is close )

https://www.leelbox.blog/tag/firmware-update/

some android 7.1

https://www.leelbox.blog/2018/05/23/prime-video-not-working-try-to-update-firmware-for-leelbox-rk-chip-android-7-1-tv-box-via-pc/

@RaptorSDS Thanks for the links!

I will check ASAP. The board is giving me some stability issues and, among other things, the wifi and emmc are having troubles with mainline kernel.

It looks like the pin configuration of the mmc controllers is somehow wrong, but need to check against the original dtb to be sure...

Hi all!

I have bricked my new mx9 pro! hehe

I have installed armbian via stepnand and it does not show anything on the screen now. No signal!

I have tried to recognize it through otg cable but windows did not detect it.

Have you seen it?

I am not sure if the memory is nand. During the instalation I think it has said that is. But I am not completily right.

See below the photos of the board.

Any help will be appreciated because I want to buy another one and try again.

Thank you guy! your are awesome!

Charles Bauer

charlesbauer@gmail.com

IMG_20210725_175909462.jpg

IMG_20210725_175923244.jpg

IMG_20210725_193345459.jpg

IMG_20210725_175816074.jpg

vor 55 Minuten schrieb Charles Bauer:

Hi all!

I have bricked my new mx9 pro! hehe

I have installed armbian via stepnand and it does not show anything on the screen now. No signal!

I have tried to recognize it through otg cable but windows did not detect it.

Have you seen it?

I am not sure if the memory is nand. During the instalation I think it has said that is. But I am not completily right.

See below the photos of the board.

Any help will be appreciated because I want to buy another one and try again.

Thank you guy! your are awesome!

Charles Bauer

charlesbauer@gmail.com

please look at page 33 @jock and a @gnusmag45 have this topic about the JWA60 memory its a eMCP Memory

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/12656-csc-armbian-for-rk322x-tv-boxes/?do=findComment&comment=124401

@Charles Bauer

Apparently you did not read the first page carefully:

eMCP chips at the moment are not supported by stable images, do not burn Armbian image on eMCP internal flash or you risk of bricking the boards!

Unbricking may be complicated, because neither me nor @fabiobassahad the chance to tinker with a board with eMCP.

The problem is most probably related to memory initialization. A serial log is required for confirmation, but we already have seen a situation like that and I don't think this is different.

Memory initialization is the first thing that is going to be done during bootstrap and thus, when it goes bad, the board is knocked down and requires manual intervention to get into maskrom mode. Doing this job require some skills in electronic and some non-common equipment because you need to find and ground the eMMC (eMCP in this case) clock pin.

What you can do to help development is send the bricked board to @fabiobassa for him to analyze :D

33 minutes ago, jock said:

@Charles Bauer

Apparently you did not read the first page carefully:

Unbricking may be complicated, because neither me nor @fabiobassahad the chance to tinker with a board with eMCP.

The problem is most probably related to memory initialization. A serial log is required for confirmation, but we already have seen a situation like that and I don't think this is different.

Memory initialization is the first thing that is going to be done during bootstrap and thus, when it goes bad, the board is knocked down and requires manual intervention to get into maskrom mode. Doing this job require some skills in electronic and some non-common equipment because you need to find and ground the eMMC (eMCP in this case) clock pin.

What you can do to help development is send the bricked board to @fabiobassa for him to analyze :D

Hi Jock!

I definetly have not read.

I have not opened the box before installing armbian. My mistake.

@fabiobassasend me an e-mail to charlesbauer@gmail.com with your address than I will send to you the box.

Regards,

Charles Bauer

@Charles Bauer

if I have understood well you are in Brasil ( correct me if I'm wrong ) so shipping to Italy will be the worst part of the whole story !!!!
If you  any way agree to deal with spedition let me know

Where did you buy this box and how much it costs ? On wich platform ( amazon, bangood, aliexpress etc etc )  ????

8 minutes ago, fabiobassa said:

@Charles Bauer

if I have understood well you are in Brasil ( correct me if I'm wrong ) so shipping to Italy will be the worst part of the whole story !!!!
If you  any way agree to deal with spedition let me know

Where did you buy this box and how much it costs ? On wich platform ( amazon, bangood, aliexpress etc etc )  ????

Hi, yes, I am from Brazil. I have bought on a local pirate store.

Knowing your address I can check the price for sending via mail. Then I can check what is cheaper: sending you the bricked box or sending you money so you can buy on a local store. If this is not a problem for you of course.

Regards,

Charles Bauer

@Charles Bauer

I guess the second option but I am just AFRAID  to buy one that HASN'T eMCP. So shipping exactly THIS ONE " bricked" actually in your hands  is the best solution to finally manage to study those damned eMCP. I'm afraid shipping to Italy will be around 30/40 USD

This is the reason why UNTIL now I didn't invest money in buying one: not because of 20/30 or even 40 euros, but because I must be sure receiving the right one. I have plenty of emmc and nands rk322x boxes , imagine I buy another one sure it is eMCP  and arrives  ANOTHER  emmc or nand :wacko: :D

Will write you in private but bit later !

On 8/12/2021 at 11:02 AM, wmaster.4g said:

Hey everybody!

Has anyone managed to get worked emulationstation on this Armbian (legacy)?

Hey, man. 

Not sure if this could be what you're looking for, but I managed to play SNES and GBA on Ubuntu legacy with Mednaffe/Mednafen. 

It ran just fine and well. If you try and have issues, let us know o/

@jockThank you for making great build for RK3229. I can flash my MXQ 3229 successfully and installed some additional apps such as Home Assistant.

By the way, is there a way to clone a RK3229 flash (with full additional packages) to another box easily under Windows or MAC OS?

As I can see, the  guide from "Alternative backup, restore and erase flash for EXPERTS" may be good option but it requires the Linux (Ubuntu host machine). 

Can we backup the whole data from eMMC to a SD card then using that SD card to transfer to other similar boxes? 

2 hours ago, chinhhut said:

@jockThank you for making great build for RK3229. I can flash my MXQ 3229 successfully and installed some additional apps such as Home Assistant.

By the way, is there a way to clone a RK3229 flash (with full additional packages) to another box easily under Windows or MAC OS?

As I can see, the  guide from "Alternative backup, restore and erase flash for EXPERTS" may be good option but it requires the Linux (Ubuntu host machine). 

Can we backup the whole data from eMMC to a SD card then using that SD card to transfer to other similar boxes? 

Hello. I have limited experience with windows, there is indeed the AndroidTool, then renamed to RkDevTool, which can be downloaded from rockchip github tools repository. It is not hard to use, but does not come with a real user guide, just a series of buttons that do things and you need some background to understand what they really do.

What you want to do (backup eMMC to SD, transfer backup to other similar box) is already covered by multitool, in fact the backup/restore paragraph you cite is for EXPERTS because involves entering maskrom mode, USB male-to-male cable, and some low level linux tools. Multitool is by far easier to use.

21 hours ago, jock said:

Hello. I have limited experience with windows, there is indeed the AndroidTool, then renamed to RkDevTool, which can be downloaded from rockchip github tools repository. It is not hard to use, but does not come with a real user guide, just a series of buttons that do things and you need some background to understand what they really do.

What you want to do (backup eMMC to SD, transfer backup to other similar box) is already covered by multitool, in fact the backup/restore paragraph you cite is for EXPERTS because involves entering maskrom mode, USB male-to-male cable, and some low level linux tools. Multitool is by far easier to use.

I've tried to backup eMMC to SD then transfer backup to other similar box and it seems work fine. Thanh you.

Originally when I opened the link it says File is in owner's trash. I managed to make it work by changing the link with this format https://drive.google.com/uc?id=...&export=download

I succesfully boot debian using sd card with this image: 

On 4/25/2021 at 4:41 PM, jock said:

@Hoangtnt Nguyen

Mmmh, your issue seems to raise another problem... The fix we introduced for memory initialization seems to break your board.

This Debian minimal image should work on your board: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ydu92YjIB_yFz9AYcDFaTmqqZ2yjQAZi/view?usp=sharing

I have an EMCP board so is booting by sd is the only way to run? 

By the way, everything is fine except as usual, wifi is not working :). My board is using the esp8089 chip.

Pictures of my board : https://imgur.com/a/Dc5PAnI

I've tried these suggestions:

On 5/1/2021 at 4:41 PM, jock said:

Hi @Hoangtnt Nguyen, I searched through the dtb for some faults but everything looks correct to me.

The fact that rk322x-config does not show you the wifi device means that it is not properly powered, so the kernel is not even able to discover it.

Looking at the original android log you provided I stumbled upon something suspicious, so I ask you to replace /boot/dtb/rk322x-box.dtb with this one: rk322x-box.dtb and then reboot

On 4/25/2021 at 9:42 PM, jock said:

@Hoangtnt Nguyen

Hmm, the problem is that the wifi chip is not detected at all, in fact you can see that the mmc1 device is probed four times and then the kernel gives up.

Are you sure you removed the wlan-esp8089 overlay from /boot/armbianEnv.txt?

I need to check better the device tree because I may have missed something, I'll do that in a few hours!

None of this seem to work. Anyways thank you for the amazing support now I can run klipper on my 3d printers with these cheap boxes since raspberry pi is really expensive in my country :thumbup:

Edited by Imad Addin
missed a word