CSC Armbian for RK322x TV box boards

jock

vor einer Stunde schrieb jock:

Confused?

Well, I am... realtek drivers, expecially the 8723 family, are a real mess.

í can confirm that , on Amlogic there are also many 8723xx chips

there we struggle also with 8723bs of diffrent box's ( both are same chip(8723bs) but 2 diffirent box , and both have diffirent firmware files on android )

On 11/26/2021 at 7:58 PM, calipzone said:

Tried all *8723* but no effect.

Hmm I see no references to 024c:8723 in 8723bs mainline kernel driver and actually there are no references to 8723AS anywhere.

It should be nice to tweak the 8723bs driver to accept 8723as chip and see what happens :D

If you agree, I can do a minimal test image just to try and see what happens. Do you wish to conduct such test?

20 часов назад, jock сказал:

It should be nice to tweak the 8723bs driver to accept 8723as chip and see what happens :D

I tried adding my VID/PID to sdio_intf.c (and rebuilt the image), but it didn't work. The interface seemed to show up, but errors appeared. Also, the interface would not start.

Maybe I missed something?

My result:

Скрытый текст

kitty_2021-12-01_20-25-16.thumb.png.a442375dffd5b4028651a0569a049eca.png

My patch:

Скрытый текст
diff --git a/drivers/staging/rtl8723bs/os_dep/sdio_intf.c b/drivers/staging/rtl8723bs/os_dep/sdio_intf.c
index 490431484..97a66346a 100644
--- a/drivers/staging/rtl8723bs/os_dep/sdio_intf.c
+++ b/drivers/staging/rtl8723bs/os_dep/sdio_intf.c
@@ -20,6 +20,7 @@ static const struct sdio_device_id sdio_ids[] = {
        { SDIO_DEVICE(0x024c, 0x0626), },
        { SDIO_DEVICE(0x024c, 0x0627), },
        { SDIO_DEVICE(0x024c, 0xb723), },
+       { SDIO_DEVICE(0x024c, 0x8723), },
        { /* end: all zeroes */                         },
 };
 MODULE_DEVICE_TABLE(sdio, sdio_ids);

Also, I have found an old version of the driver but couldn't compile it.

@calipzone That's cool you patched the kernel by yourself :thumbup:

Well, I don't really know how to proceed here... the old driver probably is for kernel 3.10.

It is possible that the rtl8723as is just a bit different than 8723bs, so inspecting the old driver may turn out to show what differences are there and try to patch the mainline kernel driver, but it is a work that require some knowledge, patience and time.

Surely I would suggest you to find the binary firmware of your rtl8723as and let the driver take it overwriting rtl8723bs.bin, so you are sure that the WiSoC gets the proper binary and all the missing pieces are in the kernel driver itself.

Hi all,

I've a box with rk3228b, nand, ddr2 etc etc and I'm using it as mediacenter with Libreelec 9.2 installed on sdcard.

The box recognize the nand, but I had never been able to install the operating system in it (tried with rkdeveloptool, dd and others but without succes).

Until today, when I've discovered this beautiful tool called multitool :)

I had to make a few small changes (basically removed offset and gpt creation in the nand flash code), but it works great.

So my question is, it's possible to add an option to write a generic image, in order to make this tool more useful!?

Last question, I think that the libreelec bootloader has some trouble when boot from NAND, but it's strange, because I've readed that the multitool one shoud be the same. It's true, or there are some changes that I can apply and retry?!

Thanks for your hard work.

Michele

4 hours ago, ilmich said:

Hi all,

I've a box with rk3228b, nand, ddr2 etc etc and I'm using it as mediacenter with Libreelec 9.2 installed on sdcard.

The box recognize the nand, but I had never been able to install the operating system in it (tried with rkdeveloptool, dd and others but without succes).

Until today, when I've discovered this beautiful tool called multitool :)

I had to make a few small changes (basically removed offset and gpt creation in the nand flash code), but it works great.

So my question is, it's possible to add an option to write a generic image, in order to make this tool more useful!?

Last question, I think that the libreelec bootloader has some trouble when boot from NAND, but it's strange, because I've readed that the multitool one shoud be the same. It's true, or there are some changes that I can apply and retry?!

Thanks for your hard work.

Michele

Ciao Michele,

Multitool already burns generic images on flash, whatever flash it is.

stepnand procedure is for armbian only, because it carries u-boot SPL in place of rockchip miniloader.

Also the rockchip nand driver prevents the access to very first sectors of the flash, hence there is the need for offset and gpt with stepnand procedure.

Libreelec (legacy 4.4 kernel) carries the rockchip proprietary miniloader and thus can be burned on NAND using the regular "burn image to flash" menu option and it should work: multitool should suggest you to ignore to burn the bootloader sectors and you should answer yes.

Beware that you need the image with legacy 4.4 kernel: mainline kernel images have no nand driver and will never boot from nand.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:16 PM, jock said:

Ciao Michele,

Multitool already burns generic images on flash, whatever flash it is.

stepnand procedure is for armbian only, because it carries u-boot SPL in place of rockchip miniloader.

Also the rockchip nand driver prevents the access to very first sectors of the flash, hence there is the need for offset and gpt with stepnand procedure.

Libreelec (legacy 4.4 kernel) carries the rockchip proprietary miniloader and thus can be burned on NAND using the regular "burn image to flash" menu option and it should work: multitool should suggest you to ignore to burn the bootloader sectors and you should answer yes.

thanks @jock, meanwhile looking at your repo I stole a patch that fixes the boot from nand in my libreelec fork :)

On 12/2/2021 at 11:16 PM, jock said:

Beware that you need the image with legacy 4.4 kernel: mainline kernel images have no nand driver and will never boot from nand.

I have seen that this code has been inserted in recent kernels

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/mtd/nand/raw/rockchip-nand-controller.c

so maybe in the near future NAND for rockchip should works?!

@ilmich

Ciao Michele anche da parte mia.
The booting of armbian on 322x is result of manyyyyy little pieces and patches taken from respeaker original project , personal studies and suggestion by @knaerzche , the same work from whom also you have taken some ideas.
I follow your post on libreelec forum and you too have done a great work, compliments!
I guess you can take all the code that you want and improve your studies on libreelec

This is the evidence that when clever and opened minds work together the result cannot be other than great

Hello.
I own an MQX (S805). I run amrbian with pi-hole on it - works great.

I got an MXQ PRO 4K (rk322x) and I also want to have amrbian on it. The system info says it is android 10.1... but KODI 17.6 says it's android 7.1.2

Kernel version 3.10.104
ding@gxt #83
Wed Mar 10 14:30:56 CST 2021

Build
MBOX-userdebug 10.1 NHG47K eng.ding.
20211030.143309 test-keys

I have a sticker on my motherboard:
R29-MXQ-LP3

and the writing on the board:
R29_MXQ_LP3_V2.3_00908

Multitool - not sure if it starts - no picture.
I tried with other .dtb files pulled from Amrbian Buster - no image.

Any suggestions please?

5 hours ago, fabiobassa said:

@ilmich

Ciao Michele anche da parte mia.
The booting of armbian on 322x is result of manyyyyy little pieces and patches taken from respeaker original project , personal studies and suggestion by @knaerzche , the same work from whom also you have taken some ideas.
I follow your post on libreelec forum and you too have done a great work, compliments!
I guess you can take all the code that you want and improve your studies on libreelec

This is the evidence that when clever and opened minds work together the result cannot be other than great

Ciao Fabio,

thanks,but you are too kind.. I am just carrying out a project that allowed me not to throw away my box :)

Most of time I spent trying and trying again (I have no way to use a UART port because on my motherboard it's hidden ), and trying to figure out how you solved the problems. 
Then, being a lover of open source, I try to give back something to community.

In any case I have noticed some good progress on the 5.15.y kernel for the 322x socs.

Probably if someone else doesn't, I'll try to port libreelec to one of the recent versions.

I'm a slackware user, so forgive me if I'm not a debian lover ;)

@ilmich
Michele no worries about slack or other, I born on mandriva ( red hat) but the " debian" world is interesting.
About uart, send photos of board since i discovered uart pins on many boards  or try on pin number 4 of the big sd card reader , start counting from the little pins of the switch of sd card. If you own an oscilloscope you will spot the uart in 3 seconds
Of course you should not have the sd card inserted.

And DON'T ASK ME  why there is a uart on that pin  :ph34r:
that is

17 hours ago, fabiobassa said:

@ilmich
Michele no worries about slack or other, I born on mandriva ( red hat) but the " debian" world is interesting.
About uart, send photos of board since i discovered uart pins on many boards  or try on pin number 4 of the big sd card reader , start counting from the little pins of the switch of sd card. If you own an oscilloscope you will spot the uart in 3 seconds
Of course you should not have the sd card inserted.

And DON'T ASK ME  why there is a uart on that pin  :ph34r:
that is

Hi Fabio,

if you could help me find the UART port it would be great ;).

These are the pictures of my motherboard:

back

IMG_20211207_094050.thumb.jpg.47bbb91814c5a739a3aa5f3573e10f75.jpg

and front

IMG_20211207_094006.jpg.4d42e1c4f1fb8ca4acdd36f1ebaf6240.jpg

I've also noticed this two pins near wifi chip

antenna-wifi.jpg.9e6055b18a6ee003e28ba79a3819c848.jpg

do you think can I attach an antenna!?

Thanks in advance

Michele

On 12/6/2021 at 3:40 PM, karkow said:

Multitool - not sure if it starts - no picture.

I tried with other .dtb files pulled from Amrbian Buster - no image.

Any suggestions please?

If the led is blinking, multitool booted. If led is steady, multitool didn't boot.

Can't say anything more about without logs (serial log would be ideal) or other infos.

Surely changing dtb won't help.

5 hours ago, jock said:

If the led is blinking, multitool booted. If led is steady, multitool didn't boot.

Can't say anything more about without logs (serial log would be ideal) or other infos.

Surely changing dtb won't help.

Yes. Red lights and yellow blinking but no video on hdmi.

I try with libreELEC with different .img - same problem (no video) but I know that KODI starts up because the BOX gets an IP address using (Alfawise A8, RK3228B, DDR2) .img and (MXQ 4K Pro, RK3228A, DDR3) .img

So i think it is RK3228x.

How or what can I extract the needed information from a running android?
Only via otg usb cable?
Any application for android?

Hepl ! How to use rkbin-master 
"

"Installation (without SD card, board with eMMC):

If you have no sd card slot and your board has an eMMC, you can burn the armbian image directly on the internal eMMC using rkdeveloptool and a male-to-male USB cable:

Download your preferred Armbian image from Armbian download page and decompress it.

Download the rk322x bootloader: rk322x_loader_v1.10.256.bin

Download a copy of rkdeveloptool: a compiled binary is available in the official rockchip-linux rkbin github repository.

Unplug the power cord from the tv box

Plug an end of an USB Male-to-male cable into the OTG port (normally it is the lone USB port on the same side of the Ethernet, HDMI, analog AV connectors) while pressing the reset microbutton with a toothpick. You can find the reset microbutton in a hole in the back of the box, but sometimes it is hidden into the AV analog jack

Plug the other end of the USB Male-to-male cable into an USB port of your computer

If everything went well, run lsusb: you should see a device with ID 2207:320b

Run sudo rkdeveloptool rd 3 (if this fails don't worry and proceed to next step)

Run sudo rkdeveloptool db rk322x_loader_v1.10.256.bin

Run sudo rkdeveloptool wl 0x0 image.img (change image.img this with the real Armbian image filename)

Unplug the power cord

Done!"...............

11 hours ago, karkow said:

Yes. Red lights and yellow blinking but no video on hdmi.

You get one of those boards which have no working HDMI output.

It is an unsolved problem right now, mostly because this never happened to any developer and the cause is unknown.

The usual suggestions are related to change the HDMI cable and change the TV/monitor to see if it is a problem of the board or not.

10 minutes ago, jock said:

Kapsz egy olyan kártyát, amelyen nincs működő HDMI kimenet.

Jelenleg ez egy megoldatlan probléma, főleg azért, mert ez soha egyetlen fejlesztővel sem fordult elő, és az ok ismeretlen.

A szokásos javaslatok a HDMI-kábel cseréjére és a TV/monitor cseréjére vonatkoznak, hogy megnézzük, az alaplap hibája-e vagy sem.

Let me remind you that my main problem is that the HDMI output doesn't work and I still don't have a solution. If I read correctly, it is also a board with rk3228A like mine. Replacing the cable / monitor does not help.

@paradigman

Let me remind you that my main problem is that the HDMI output doesn't work and I still don't have a solution

Yes this is clear but you belong to VERY few cases that HDMI doesnt' work and actually there isn't yet a solution

a dobozod néhány esethez tartozik, és nincs hardverünk, amit tanulmányozhatnánk.
jelenleg nincs megoldásunk

5 minutes ago, paradigman said:

Let me remind you that my main problem is that the HDMI output doesn't work and I still don't have a solution. If I read correctly, it is also a board with rk3228A like mine. Replacing the cable / monitor does not help.

I know, but yet I don't have any such board to investigate the issue.

Some people solved changing HDMI cable, clearly it was not the same issue you have.

Feel free to donate such boards if you want to contribute and expect issues solved.

9 minutes ago, fabiobassa said:

@paradigman

I know, but yet I don't have any such board to investigate the issue.

Some people solved changing HDMI cable, clearly it was not the same issue you have.

Feel free to donate such boards if you want to contribute and expect issues solved.

I have four such boxes. Since I don't go with them, is unnecessary for me. I offer one to anyone who doesn’t live too far from me and is willing to deal with it.

I honestly don't need an image over hdmi.
A working armbian ssh and LAN is enough for me.

Is there any other way to install armbian than multitool?
Can multitool work without graphical mode for example via ssh?
Is it possible to run armbian from SD card like on AMLogic?
Is it possible to use libreelec with ssh to install armbian?

17 hours ago, karkow said:

Is there any other way to install armbian than multitool?

Yes, but you need to follow the same instructions as "restore backup" in first page.

Can multitool work without graphical mode for example via ssh?

Not yet: the multitool is based upon a very stripped down debian. Putting ssh into requires many other packages that would make way too bigger and mostly other packages require proper configuration (login, dhcp, etc...)

Is it possible to run armbian from SD card like on AMLogic?

It is not a "plug and play", you still require to erase the internal eMMC or install Armbian to run another installation from sdcard.

Is it possible to use libreelec with ssh to install armbian?

I guess in some convoluted way you could do it, but actually you need to enable SSH first in libreelec and you can do that only using the GUI, which is not available for you as long as HDMI does not work on your board