CSC Armbian for RK322x TV box boards

jock

23 hours ago, jock said:

Hello!

There was an ancient bug with lightdm-gtk-greeter that was behaving the way you describe.

Maybe it is an old image? You could try to upgrade the packages using apt and see if it gets fixed, otherwise you may install and configure slick-greeter which was the solution adopter in armbian to workaround the bug.

Thanks for the quick reply! It reminds me that I had the same problem on my PC a few years ago, now everything is working fine!

I am currently trying to package gstreamer and add support for the RKMPP plugin, and I've seen some of your attempts on the new kernel regarding hardware codecs, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to switch to the latest kernel: will both the VPU and GPU work as well as the legacy kernel?  Thank you!

1 hour ago, windowsair said:

Thanks for the quick reply! It reminds me that I had the same problem on my PC a few years ago, now everything is working fine!

I am currently trying to package gstreamer and add support for the RKMPP plugin, and I've seen some of your attempts on the new kernel regarding hardware codecs, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to switch to the latest kernel: will both the VPU and GPU work as well as the legacy kernel?  Thank you!

It is still a work in progress for the mainline kernel, hopefully when all the bits will be in place it will be even better.

Surely the gpu part is easier to setup and use (it works out of the box) due to being backed by mesa instead of ugly Mali utgard ARM drivers.

hw video decoding is usable for most common formats (h.264, vp9, h.265) but 10-bits formats still need to be brought in and you need to use mpv I compiled (see first page) or compile Kodi/ffmpeg/whatever by yourself

On 1/28/2022 at 2:05 AM, jock said:

It is still a work in progress for the mainline kernel, hopefully when all the bits will be in place it will be even better.

Surely the gpu part is easier to setup and use (it works out of the box) due to being backed by mesa instead of ugly Mali utgard ARM drivers.

hw video decoding is usable for most common formats (h.264, vp9, h.265) but 10-bits formats still need to be brought in and you need to use mpv I compiled (see first page) or compile Kodi/ffmpeg/whatever by yourself

I've tried compiling the latest mainline mpp-rockchip and gstreamer-rockchip on a legacy kernel and it works fine!

However the X11's performance is terrible. Maybe I should try the mainline kernel or wayland or something else?

I was rebooting the box after nearly 8 days of up time with HA supervised and that is not bad for the "first try" running it on the new hardware.

I was not liking the external SD-Card that is 4/5 outside of the box and im using micro SD-card so i was baying one cheep USB card reader and desolating the SD socket and soldering up side down on the back side of the external in the box so i can mounting the SD-card or one adapter for micro SD-card inside the box and having the docker container storage on it and its working OK. (only 2 pads was tricky getting OK in the middle and dont looks so nice but is working OK)RK3228A5.thumb.jpg.673da702b6c3872438831ce8f2deba50.jpg

I was doing one mistake that i can fixing but im sure some knowing how to do that.

By using commands shutdown the box is being shutdown and cant being powered on then its not having any power button so must re powering by taking  the power cord away and back but after that the power LED is always off also if i changing the LED config with RK-config.

Is it possible sending one command type "LED on" so its start working or some other work around ?

If booting on external SD-card or USB with one new installed armbian its working  OK until using shutdown.

@jock in the first post in "Quick installation instructions to boot from SD Card:" you is writing "Erase flash" and then Build or download your preferred Armbian image and writing it to one SD-card and booting armbian.

But its not working then its not bootloader in the internal flash so the chip is trying to finding one on the SD-card = OK but all armbian images is only system in and no bootloder so the chip cant booting if not adding one bootloader and  u-boot on the SD-card before the system partition. Have i misunderstanding some thing or is it one typo ?

If having one image with "normal" bootloader and u-boot and one minimal system partition (one meg or so) then it shall being extending the partition and copy one system partition the card having it booting OK also for no Linux skill window user with minitols that can extending Linux partitions and also copy them between dicks from windows.

Thanks for great support and work with our boxes and hope next Ubuntu LTS is coming soon (beta is booting OK but is not  working OK for one week ago) and working great on them in near future !!

36 minutes ago, MattWestB said:

I was not liking the external SD-Card that is 4/5 outside of the box and im using micro SD-card so i was baying one cheep USB card reader and desolating the SD socket

Could you just use the nand/flash you have onboard?

37 minutes ago, MattWestB said:

By using commands shutdown the box is being shutdown

Well, it does what it is supposed to do... If you shutdown your PC, it shuts down; your PC has the button to turn it on, the tvbox has no button, so you have to unplug and replug the power cord.

39 minutes ago, MattWestB said:

the power LED is always off also if i changing the LED config with RK-config.

You need to chose the right board, the LED should turn on when then kernel loads.

You can control the leds using /sys/class/leds/working/trigger and /sys/class/leds/auxiliary/trigger filesystem object. Google is your best friend here

41 minutes ago, MattWestB said:

Have i misunderstanding some thing or is it one typo ?

No typo. Armbian image has all the things in the right places to boot as explained in the instructions.

Supposing you have eMMC/eMCP, to boot from SD card you need one of these:

• to clean the internal flash memory, or
  • install Armbian on internal flash memory

If you have NAND, you need one of these:

• to clean the internal flash memory (not suggested for NANDs), or
  • install Armbian via multittol step-nand on internal NAND, or
  • install Jump Start via Multitool on internal NAND

Thanks @jock for comments.

The problem is that user like my with boxes that the HDMI is not working and then cant getting mulltitool working at all also from serial console so being complete blind and if copy your first part of mulltitool and copy one armbian to on partitation after the boot part is possible installing armbian without problem in EMMC with SSH.

Is it OK posing part of your mulltitool with added system partition on git-hub if some user is requesting it ?

I have only found focal with desktop and installing it i only have little more than 2G free flash and HA is needing that or more so i need mounting the SD-card in docker storage directory then i have 64G for containers and still can installing things and doing updates.

The LEDs is right configuration and changing is not helping (the LED is power off mode) so i must trying your trigger if google can giving my the right guldens.

@fabiobassa you are more then welcome PM my or you can open issue in one of my git-hubs repros like https://github.com/MattWestb/R29-MXQ-LP3-V2.3-00908.

Im not one expert on HA but have much knowledge with ZHA part and the Zigbee system and device.

If i can help with some problem or sharing some good or bad experience is very OK for my and you looks have much knowledge in other interesting technical things.

PS the soldering is not so good that it can being but working and it can being better done but with the age its more Shaking Stevens have doing it ;-))

Mvh  Mattias

34 minutes ago, MattWestB said:

The problem is that user like my with boxes that the HDMI is not working and then cant getting mulltitool working at all also from serial console so being complete blind and if copy your first part of mulltitool and copy one armbian to on partitation after the boot part is possible installing armbian without problem in EMMC with SSH.

Well you're doing the long way around when the path is straight: if you just use dd to burn the image in the internal emmc you just get armbian installed on your board.

Of course you need to unpack the image first (read: don't write the gzipped image!)

You could do this either from multitool using the serial or from armbian on sdcard.

Other ways:

From a running armbian system, use armbian-config to install the running system on eMMC (note that minimal images have no armbian-config)

In maskrom mode, using a male-to-male USB cable and rkdeveloptool to write the armbian image on eMMC, as explained in manual backup/restore instructions on first page.

Multitool update!

Hello! I'm pleased to announce that multitool finally got network and SSH access, and now can be used on headless systems!

The latest release will retrieve an IP from the network DHCP server automatically, so you can consult your local network router to discover what IP the box got.

SSH access can be obtained logging in as root user; no password is requested.

Example with IP 192.168.1.18:

paolo@predatorg:~$ ssh root@192.168.1.18
Welcome to Multitool SSH session!
root@multitool:~# 

Link-local access:

Multitool will also, by default, listen to link-local 169.254.120.120/16 address. This is useful if you have no DHCP server or have troubles retrieving the IP address.

Note that to access such private IP you need to set a network interface of your PC on the same subnet, or also use a virtual interface.

Here there is an example using ip assigning address 169.254.89.32/16 to virtual interface eth0:1 (address can be changed at your pleasure, interface must be the same interface you use to access the box, ie: wlan0, enp0s25, or whatever):

ip addr add 169.254.89.32/16 brd + dev eth0 label eth0:1

or if you prefer old but good ifconfig:

ifconfig eth0:1 169.254.89.32/16

then the multitool is accessible to 169.254.120.120:

paolo@predatorg:~$ ssh root@169.254.120.120
Welcome to Multitool SSH session!
root@multitool:~# 

Of course link-local access won't work if you have multiple devices running multitool on the same network, since all of them will conflict because they have the same IP; in such case use the IP provided by DHCP.

WOW You are so great!

Multitool works with SSH! OMG! :D

I think I made a mistake.
I flash img with legancy kernel on eMMC.
Now box does not start. Multitool from SD also not.

I should flash current image?

/edit

uff... reset pins works

I flash current kernel img - same as above

Hi,

I'm new and my first post. I'm always used the image provided before, and it always work in my RK box, thank you so much.

But now, I try to flash new Armbian_22.02.0-trunk_Rk322x-box_focal_current_5.10.60_xfce_desktop.img but my box is not booting. The led light is not blinking and always blue. I don't know what is a problem. Sorry for not so technical guy.

I think there is a problem with the image provided here: https://users.armbian.com/jock/rk322x/armbian/stable/

Thank you.

I have an issue with booting from eMMC. Device is MXQ Pro 4K (board  MXQ_RK3229_V2.0 2019.07.22, CPU RK3228A)

Boots OK from SD Card (Mulitytool). Flashing latest image Armbian_22.02.0-trunk_Rk322x-box_bullseye_current_5.10.60_minimal.img.xz to eMMC.

After flashing, I'm only able to boot if I power on device with SD card plug in, and quickly remove it as soon as blue led turns off, and red led turns on.

Without SD card plugged in, blue led stays on forever and doesn't boot.

Hi @karkow and thanks for your inspiration that was making my testing this box !!!

I think its working with all current ARMbian images (i was trying legacy deb and all ubuntos and its was working OK) only first you need burning one copy off mutlitool on one SD-card and your selected ARMbian one one other sd-card or USB-stick.

If you running Linux you can using DD bu if windows i think Mintools is the easiest way (MiniTool Partition Wizard Free).

Then you is having empty space in the beginning of the multitool SD and after that more partitions. I was copy the ARMbian ext4 partition from the USB dick to the multitool but after the partitions that is normally used (i think around 52 or 61 Mb from the start of  the dick if to less space its not booting and start from the beginning) and setting the partition acting is important.

One way can being using "USB Duplicator Image Creator.exe" then you can copy the beginning of the multitool disk to one image and dont need re flashing all and starting from zero every time its not working.

Then getting it working is the u-boot from multitool booting OK and searching for one working system on USB and SD-card (then it was not finding and multiol partition) and if finding one its trying booting it so with the first part (52-61 Mb i think it was) of multitool you can kick starting from SD-card to one USB-disk the the last part is not there and starting multitool.

I have asking if i can posting my patched "boot part" of multitools buut part but i have not getting one yes = no in my world but i can sending it to you pf you is PM my.

If you is good on Linux its better using DD but im not being so good on it and is morally running my laptop on Windows.

If getting problem pleas ask so you is getting your bot up and running.

@vhick @cnupy

Sorry for the issue, I discovered that the images I built were strangely missing the bootloader.

I'm rebuilding and will upload the images in a few minutes, hopefully these new images will be ok: I just tested the bullseye current minimal and it works fine, I guess the others will be fine too...

@jock

Thanks, it boots fine now.

Any chance to receive some help to configure the Wifi adapter? It shows as vid:pid 02e7:9086 in rk322x-config. I found  in previous comments that @Seth was having the same adapter, but din't found any follow up if he had it configured after all.

1 hour ago, cnupy said:

@jock

Thanks, it boots fine now.

Any chance to receive some help to configure the Wifi adapter? It shows as vid:pid 02e7:9086 in rk322x-config. I found  in previous comments that @Seth was having the same adapter, but din't found any follow up if he had it configured after all.

That's un unknown chip, from an unknown manufactuer and AFAIK there is no driver for that chip, so no way to go with that wifi :unsure:

16 hours ago, jock said:

@vhick @cnupy

Sorry for the issue, I discovered that the images I built were strangely missing the bootloader.

I'm rebuilding and will upload the images in a few minutes, hopefully these new images will be ok: I just tested the bullseye current minimal and it works fine, I guess the others will be fine too...

Thank you so much. Its working fine now, and thank you for continuously updating armbian for rk322x :)

Edit: I cannot login through RDP. It automatically shut down. Going back to previous build or Armbian_21.08.1_Rk322x-box_focal_current_5.10.60_xfce_desktop.img works perfectly.

1 hour ago, cnupy said:

I have the original Android firmware, any chance to extract the driver from it?

No, it is not possible.

40 minutes ago, vhick said:

I cannot login through RDP. It automatically shut down.

Never heard about such "shut down" problem, I don't think it is hardware related if you don't mean that the box powers off.

51 minutes ago, jock said:

No, it is not possible.

Never heard about such "shut down" problem, I don't think it is hardware related if you don't mean that the box powers off.

I mean the RDP window is automatically close before I see the desktop. I don't know what it the cause of it.

edit: the problem fix. I update first the apt, and all possible option to update in the config and the RDP works :)

50 minutes ago, jock said:

No, it is not possible.

Can you suggest wifi dongle that will work out-of-the-box on your image?

3 minutes ago, cnupy said:

Can't suggest anything specific to be honest, anything which is linux friendly (atheros? ralink?) should be just fine.

If there is the need to enable the kernel module there will be no problems.

48 minutes ago, jock said:

Can't suggest anything specific to be honest, anything which is linux friendly (atheros? ralink?) should be just fine.

If there is the need to enable the kernel module there will be no problems.

I have an old Wistron g54 usb dongle lying in the drawer, which uses this driver, but it's not included in the kernel :(  

Erase flash from multitool isn't work.
After reboot android still boots. 

I was able to boot armbian from a flash drive, but first I need to boot MXQ with the sd card (multitool) and the flash drive (armbian) inserted together. After a second, I remove sd card (multitool) and armbian boots from pendrive.

/edit

Succesfull install armbian on emmc using dd command.
Big Thx for you boys :D

On 2/18/2022 at 12:54 PM, cnupy said:

I came across https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi recently in my travels, which seems to be a quite decent resource.

Of course, he mentions not a word about licensing.  If you care about Free Software as I do, there are only a very small number of Wi-Fi adapters which can be run completely blob free.  But that is a whole another discussion.

Hello! Hope this message find you guys doing ok amidst the crazy times we live in.

I have followed the mentioned link below, downloaded the "current 5.10 minimal", and have hit a weird wall: rk322x-config stops before setting up the wifi.Therefore, my wifi is not setting up. I have many other images (mostly if not all legacy ones) where my ssv6051p is working very well.

On 1/8/2020 at 5:31 PM, jock said:

You can switch from one kernel flavour to another using armbian-config or manually via apt.

Download images from the following directory: https://users.armbian.com/jock/rk322x/armbian/stable

I have installed xfce4 from armbian-config and still could not see or find it through graphical interface. On CLI I tried checking modprobe, iperf, nmtui, dmesg... It seems like it is just not there at all. So, I thought "well shit, something went down", and removed the minimal to go back to my most developed version of legacy with lubuntu and wifi is working just fine. And rk322x-config does have the full length, going over wifi settings and options for it.

Any suggestions...? I have the general idea I have read about it somewhere, but looking through the topic I could not find anything I haven't tried. If this answer is somewhere, my apologies, but if you could send me its link I'd appreciate it!

Best,

Vitor

4 hours ago, ArkhanLK said:

I have followed the mentioned link below, downloaded the "current 5.10 minimal", and have hit a weird wall: rk322x-config stops before setting up the wifi.Therefore, my wifi is not setting up. I have many other images (mostly if not all legacy ones) where my ssv6051p is working very well.

Did you run rk322x-config from xfce? You may need to make the terminal window larger: rk322x-config uses dialog application, which doesn't work if it can't write characters in the available window space.

4 hours ago, ArkhanLK said:

I have installed xfce4 from armbian-config and still could not see or find it through graphical interface.

sorry, you can't see what? If you mean 6051p, support for mainline kernel should "imminent", as soon as current kernel is going to be switched to 5.15 by armbian core team.

Honestly I don't know if the kernel has been compiled and upstreamed with recent patches for 5.10 kernel, that's something happening automatically.

The images I provided there use the armbian built packages to keep them aligned to official releases, so there may be the need for a bit of patience (or switch to edge kernels) for 6051p.

I have an Mxqpro 5g and, i've already tried several different images including multitool and cards and it always loads on the android boot screen, it ignores the card's boot, my processor is the rk3228 and the memory  is of the EMCP type (TYD0GH221644RC) 8G/1gRAM, I could load the rk322x_loader_v1.10.256.bin image as described in page via usb cable without sd card