CSC Armbian for RK322x TV box boards

jock

@handymenny Cool, thanks! Maybe the broadcast decrypt can be fixed adding a proper -DUSE_MAC80211_DECRYPT_BROADCAST directive in the kernel module makefile nearby the other conditionals that relate to hardware/software encryption and decryption, without hardcoding the conditional.

Anyway thanks, do what you prefer and if you open a pull request I will accept and rebuild the armbian patches to fix the problem ;)

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
When I try to flash any image to my rk3229 using a multitool, a window with progress information appears for a second and the message "Image has been burned to device mmcblk1" immediately appears

55 minutes ago, Orcus said:

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Hello, obviously we don't know what you're doing wrong, because if you don't post some logs or other details there is no chance to help with anything. Maybe your emmc is faulty and it will just never work...

Once run, multitool will drop a file on the FAT partition called dmesg.multitool.log with the kernel dmesg log you can post here for inspection.

However I would rather erase the internal emmc and try armbian from sdcard instead of burning on emmc.

10 минут назад, jock сказал:

Hello, obviously we don't know what you're doing wrong, because if you don't post some logs or other details there is no chance to help with anything. Maybe your emmc is faulty and it will just never work...

Once run, multitool will drop a file on the FAT partition called dmesg.multitool.log with the kernel dmesg log you can post here for inspection.

However I would rather erase the internal emmc and try armbian from sdcard instead of burning on emmc.

thanks for your reply.
As far as I can tell, the emmc is working, since the TV box works (it's new). 🙄

I tried to erase the emmc using the multitool. If after that I write the image to a memory card, then I see the initial launch of Linux, but the monitor flashes all the time, which makes it impossible to work. Also, the diode on the TV box is flashing all the time.

I'll try to post the log a bit later.

1 час назад, jock сказал:

Photos of the board would be very useful too

Where is the log when trying to burn an image using a multitool

Now I will also take a photo of my board

Photos here. On the board, the processor is labeled as 3228a. But in AIDA64 it is displayed as 3229

https://i.imgur.com/wK3kJuN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/N1D6F2k.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/d8TNc6c.jpg

dmesg.multitool.log

Edited by Orcus

2 часа назад, jock сказал:

did you change the dtb of the multitool with something else?

Yes, I replaced it with rk3229-at-3nod-func.dtb from one of the firmware. Because it is impossible to work with dtb, which was originally contained in the multitool -  the monitor blinks continuously after startup

Should I make the log again with the original dtb?

Here is the log with the original dtb 
I am not completely sure that I was able to start the firmware process, as I previously said that the monitor is blinking and almost nothing is visible that is happening

dmesg.multitool.log

Edited by Orcus

2 hours ago, Orcus said:

Yes, I replaced it with rk3229-at-3nod-func.dtb from one of the firmware. Because it is impossible to work with dtb, which was originally contained in the multitool -  the monitor blinks continuously after startup

So you did something noone told you to do and now are lamenting the multitool does not work? 🙄

I understand the monitor blinks, but you can access even via network; also if that dtb provides a stable signal maybe you could post it for analysis and comparison?

Did you try another HDMI cable or another monitor?

4 часа назад, jock сказал:

So you did something noone told you to do and now are lamenting the multitool does not work? 🙄

At first I used the original files. When that didn't work, I started trying other options(

4 часа назад, jock сказал:

but you can access even via network

I don't quite understand how this can be done

I will try other HDMI cables now, and also try to connect to the TV. The second log file that I sent, I received using the original multitool

upd. @jock

So, I checked something:
I have an HDMI hub connected to my monitor. By connecting directly, there was a little less flickering (by a very small amount). This made it possible to install Armbian somehow. Don't ask me how, I'm afraid I won't be able to answer. It seems to me that after many experiments I'm going crazy))

When you first start Armbian, the monitor and TV continue to flicker. I also used other HDMI cables. I do not know what this is related to. If the problem with flickering in the multitool menu was solved by replacing dtb. Then when you start Linux, this problem is present

Here is an example of running a multitool with the original dtb. There are artifacts on the screen, and rarely for a second you can see the utility menu. If you watch to the end, then for a second you will see the menu
https://mega.nz/file/aIZH3D6Z#BlwhxQonYeh46fkJTh2YmaBpJSFqllGrXO_Bz5WP-ZI

Edited by Orcus

5 hours ago, Orcus said:

I don't quite understand how this can be done

Please read the first post

5 hours ago, Orcus said:

I do not know what this is related to

It may be related to some clocks, but until you provide the working dtb I can't say more and surely can't fix anything.

2 часа назад, handymenny сказал:

Just send the one you used to fix HDMI issue. 

This?

I feel like an idiot. A little)

@jock

So what I was able to find out.

• rk322x-box.dtb - this is the original file that comes with the multitool by default. If I use it, then there are big problems with the monitor.
    If you rename it to the rk3229-at-3nod-func.dtb or rk3229-echo-v10.dtb, then when using the monitor, the blinking is not so intense. Which makes it possible to install the image. When installing, it reports that the installation takes place in mmcblk2

I also unpacked these 2 files from the image:

• rk3229-at-3nod-func.dtb - he's not very helpful. If you use it, then the monitor does not blink. But when burning in a one second, a message appears that the image is burned in mmcblk1. Image not installed
  • rk3229-echo-v10.dtb - if you use it, then the monitor does not blink. The image is burned in mmcblk1

In both variants, when the image was burned in mmcblk1 and mmcblk2, armbian was successfully launched. However, this does not negate the fact that when installed armbian was started, the monitor blinked in any case.

I hope that this information will help solve these problems, and I also hope that I have presented this information more or less clearly.

rk322x-box.dtb rk3229-at-3nod-func.dtb rk3229-echo-v10.dtb

Edited by Orcus

So, I was able to finally install armbian without any monitor flickering during the installation and startup process. I tested it on two different images. The original dtb from the multitool was renamed, so the installation was successful.

Скрытый текст

VbSE6gv.png

However, I still have a few questions:
1. the diode on my board is now constantly blinking. Is this how it should be and can't be fixed?
2. Can I install only those images that are listed in the first post? For example, is it possible to install Manjaro Arm? I saw it in one of the videos on YouTube. Naturally, the processor there was different.
3. On our boards with a rockchip, is it possible to run Linux from SD without installing it in memory?

4. I saw a mention of Wifi in the first post. Has anyone managed to get it running? If so, I would like a link to the instructions, if possible

Edited by Orcus

3 hours ago, Orcus said:

So, I was able to finally install armbian without any monitor flickering during the installation and startup process. I tested it on two different images. The original dtb from the multitool was renamed, so the installation was successful.

Could you be so magnanimous to share how did you solve the issue?

Hi! I'm in the process of installing linux on my leelbox q2 pro, rk3229 2gb ram 16gb eMMC (samsung klmag2ge4a-a001). I was trying to backup the flash using multitool, it recognize the flash but the process seems to stuck around 3%, I've waited for 1h and it wasn't moved from there. Tried an other sd and the problem is still there. Also I tried to run armbian from the sd directly as suggested in the guide, flashed with etcher 2 different sds, but everything I got is a black screen. I read in the thread that I might need of a bootloader, but where I can find the one I need? How to flash a bootloader on the sd in order to make iot bootable?

Thank you and Forza Italia!

@marras which board (not tv box) do you have? Some photos are very welcome, I see you already disassembled the box since you posted the dram markings.

If you have the chance to connect a serial adapter, a detailed dmesg log from multitool or armbian would be useful, especially when the board seems stuck.

You could also login to the multitool via ssh and launch the backup from there and login from another session to see if it is still responsive and what the kernel is saying.

Also, did you erase the whole flash before trying armbian from sdcard? Does the led blink or it stays on/off?

1 hour ago, Henn said:

Hello, I'm new to this, I have question. atm I have android tv box that has additional firmware and it was working for tv company, can I somehow flash it and use it as default android tv box?

Who knows? Instructions are on first post.

@jock here the image of the board you requested:

https://ibb.co/Ctm3HrK 

https://ibb.co/qjZp2py

I didn't erase the flash, I can still boot to android. My issue is that I don't know how to extract the dtb without having root on android. If I just flash on the sd Armbian, when I try to power on the tvbox with the sd insert I've a black screen (I think it needs a proper dtb). I've noticed I've a shell access through multitool, but when I try to mount mmcblk2 in order to access to the emmc, I cannot make a dir under mmt to mount properly since it is a read-only file system.

Anyway I managed to successfully make a full backup, simply retried this afternoon and all went smoothly... I also created 2 backups....This is how computer works, you know! 

I'm a total noob, but I hope you can help me somehow!

12 hours ago, marras said:

I didn't erase the flash, I can still boot to android. My issue is that I don't know how to extract the dtb without having root on android.

Once you get a valid backup you can extract the dtb from the original image. But anyway I should already have a dtb for the t95n around.

f I just flash on the sd Armbian, when I try to power on the tvbox with the sd insert I've a black screen (I think it needs a proper dtb)

In theory you should not even have the black screen if Android is still in the internal flash.

Normally Armbian on sdcard boots if it is already installed in the internal flash or the internal flash is just empty.

If Android is installed in the internal flash, the only thing that boots from sdcard is the multitool.

Anyway I managed to successfully make a full backup, simply retried this afternoon and all went smoothly... I also created 2 backups....This is how computer works, you know! 

Then you can verify that the backups are sane (just open the files on a regular PC) and then may proceed to erase the internal flash to try armbian from sdcard.

You also have what I think are the serial pads if you have a serial adapter to connect for full boot logging.

The HDMI problem may be due to several reasons: incompatibility with your board, bad cable, bad monitor/tv, ... and the previous lockups during backups may be due to a bad power adapter for example (those coming with the tvbox are generally crap)

So basically you are saying I cannot boot Armbian directly from sdcard without erasing the internal flash, such as multiboot does? In the guide in the first page you say that is a good idea to try to boot linux from sd first, for this reason I thought it would be possible at least to try before messing with the emmc 

edit: reading carefully the guide, you suggest to wipe the flash first, than try to boot from sd card with armbian flashed onto it, and then if everything works try to flash in the internal memory, right?

Anyway, the 2 backups seems the same, how can I extract the files and dtb from them? I tryed 7zip but it doesn't not recognise the file inside img.gz as an archive so I don't know how to extract

Edited by marras

Hello, I've just bought a TV Box with RK3229 which has a Kingston 08EMCP08-NL3DT227 8GB eMMC + 1GB DDR3 eMCP chip.

I've read that

eMCP chips at the moment are not supported by stable images, do not burn Armbian image on eMCP internal flash or you risk of bricking the boards! Instead follow the "Boot from sdcard" procedure and post on the forum the results of armbianmonitor -u command for further help and possibly a customized image.

and wanted to know if this is still the case, even with the nightly builds found at https://github.com/armbian/community

Thanks!

Edited by donluca

8 hours ago, marras said:

Anyway, the 2 backups seems the same, how can I extract the files and dtb from them? I tryed 7zip but it doesn't not recognise the file inside img.gz as an archive so I don't know how to extract

Ah ok, so your backups are not good. Unfortunately there is a huge bug in multitool due to FAT32 partitions: the files cannot be bigger than 4GB. The multitool will say the backup is ok, but in reality the file is broken because it is truncated to 4GB by FAT limits, despite being compressed.

At the moment there is no easy solution for this, both using NTFS partition or split program have some drawbacks and this bug is still not fixed yet 😕

You may altough try to do a backup via network, since you have ssh access.

Do this on your PC:

nc -l -p 1234 > backup.img.gz

Then login in the multitool and run this:

pv /dev/mmcblk1 | gzip | nc -N your_PC_ip 1234

The commands will transfer the content of /dev/mmcblk1 (which should be your emmc, double check with lsblk) via network using netcat to your computer (change your_PC_ip with the right IP address) and you will get a full and compressed backup in backup.img.gz file. The pv command is handy because will tell you the progress of the operation.

An alternative is to restore Android factory defaults and try to backup again. Maybe without the user content you will be able to shrink the backup size.

8 hours ago, marras said:

edit: reading carefully the guide, you suggest to wipe the flash first, than try to boot from sd card with armbian flashed onto it, and then if everything works try to flash in the internal memory, right?

Yes, that's the correct procedure.

8 hours ago, donluca said:

and wanted to know if this is still the case, even with the nightly builds found at https://github.com/armbian/community

Thanks for pointing it out, I'm going to remove that warning!

I had the chance to test some boards with eMCP (notable the MXQ_V73) and they now are quite well supported.

I don't know which board you have, so apply the general precautions before flashing into the internal emmc.