CSC Armbian for RK322x TV box boards

jock

@Tiago Barsan rtl8703bs uses the 8723cs driver, which is already included in regular armbian images. Perhaps you need to select the right led-conf from rk322x-config script for your board, which is unknown because you didn't wrote and didn't post photos of it.

vor 10 Stunden schrieb jock:

right led-conf from rk322x-config

I have a more educational question , if the answer is too long or not appropriate please also PM me

What does the right led-conf from rk322x-config have to do with the wlan chipset pins and why can't we separate them from the LED config ? How can the DTB be changed through the armbianENV.txt or must all information be present and these options are just a switch ?

Can you maybe add in the rk322x config some information about the LED config so that we have a clue which wlan chip is activated (maybe an additional information page in the tool) ?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

1 hour ago, RaptorSDS said:

What does the right led-conf from rk322x-config have to do with the wlan chipset pins and why can't we separate them from the LED config ? How can the DTB be changed through the armbianENV.txt or must all information be present and these options are just a switch ?

Can you maybe add in the rk322x config some information about the LED config so that we have a clue which wlan chip is activated (maybe an additional information page in the tool) ?

The question is absolutely relevant and very welcome.

The answer is quite simple although: for historic reasons, those overlays are called led-conf but actually, during time and studies on the boards, they should be more properly called gpio configs or board configs: they deal with the peculiarities of the specific boards and integrate the "base" device tree.

The led-conf dtbs overlays don't necessarily carry the information about the wlan chip: the boards are designed to host several different wifi chips and the wifi chips are in turn designed to be "drop in replaceable".

Wifi chips exchange data with the SoC via SDIO bus, but also have other pins for other essential purposes (power, reference clock, antennas, etc...). One of these pins is the enable pin.

The enable pin turn on and off the wifi chip. It is like a button, which is in turn connected to a SoC GPIO pin that can be controlled by the software: the linux kernel can turn on and off this pin which will turn on and off the wifi chip.

The problem is very simple: most boards use the same SoC GPIO pin to control the enable pin of the chip, but some others use another one, or swap its polarity. You need to tell the kernel which GPIO pin is the right one, otherwise the kernel just can't turn the wifi chip on and, in fact, the wlan0 device does not even appear to the system. The GPIO pin for this functionality is specific to the board design, hence it is described in the led-conf overlay.

As an example, the boards with T066 marking needs such treatment (led-conf4, see here), but also other boards require it (I count at least three different configurations in those overlays, plus the base one).

Using the right led-conf is usually enough to get the wireless appear and work, because the kernel can turn on the wifi chip, poke the SDIO bus for the device id and load the right driver.

In some other cases, there is the need for a supplementary dtb overlay to get full functionality for the wifi chip: rtl8723cs/rtl8703bs is right the case to get also the bluetooth working, because it requires some other bits for complete configuration.

Normally the rk322x-config script deal with this automatically. You may need to run it a second time after reboot to complete the configuration though, in case in the first run it was unable to detect the wifi/bluetooth chip.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb jock:

The question is absolutely relevant and very welcome.

The answer is quite simple although: for historic reasons, those overlays are called led-conf but actually, during time and studies on the boards, they should be more properly called gpio configs or board configs: they deal with the peculiarities of the specific boards and integrate the "base" device tree.

Thank you ok understandable

vor 5 Stunden schrieb jock:

The led-conf dtbs overlays don't necessarily carry the information about the wlan chip: the boards are designed to host several different wifi chips and the wifi chips are in turn designed to be "drop in replaceable".

Wifi chips exchange data with the SoC via SDIO bus, but also have other pins for other essential purposes (power, reference clock, antennas, etc...). One of these pins is the enable pin.

The enable pin turn on and off the wifi chip. It is like a button, which is in turn connected to a SoC GPIO pin that can be controlled by the software: the linux kernel can turn on and off this pin which will turn on and off the wifi chip.

The problem is very simple: most boards use the same SoC GPIO pin to control the enable pin of the chip, but some others use another one, or swap its polarity. You need to tell the kernel which GPIO pin is the right one, otherwise the kernel just can't turn the wifi chip on and, in fact, the wlan0 device does not even appear to the system. The GPIO pin for this functionality is specific to the board design, hence it is described in the led-conf overlay.

As an example, the boards with T066 marking needs such treatment (led-conf4, see here), but also other boards require it (I count at least three different configurations in those overlays, plus the base one).

Using the right led-conf is usually enough to get the wireless appear and work, because the kernel can turn on the wifi chip, poke the SDIO bus for the device id and load the right driver.

In some other cases, there is the need for a supplementary dtb overlay to get full functionality for the wifi chip: rtl8723cs/rtl8703bs is right the case to get also the bluetooth working, because it requires some other bits for complete configuration.

wifi enable and GPIO state is clear for me  also the SDIO part , i done some testing with Martin Blumestangl (xdarklight) on AMlogic 805 (nand and he help me with wifi enable , had a rtl8723bs with inverted signial)  , but its not clear how a armbianENV can change /switch dtb things

vor 6 Stunden schrieb jock:

Normally the rk322x-config script deal with this automatically. You may need to run it a second time after reboot to complete the configuration though, in case in the first run it was unable to detect the wifi/bluetooth chip.

ok that was new for me that script do autodetect and that after config you have do start again the config sometimes

8 hours ago, chrisrer said:

anyone knows when legacy version for jammy? i have a mxq-4k.....any suggestions the best way to install home assistant?

Well I stopped building and actively supporting the legacy image. The only missing thing is the NAND driver, for all other uses mainline kernel should be better.

Hey @jock

Is possible to bring us gstreamer to legacy kernel from here?

We need gstreamer-rockchip and gstreamer-rockchip-extra for working...

I made a attempt to compile but always get some erros:

git clone https://github.com/JeffyCN/mirrors.git -b gstreamer-rockchip
cd gstreamer-rockchip
mkdir build
meson build
cd build
ninja
ninja install

../gst/rkximage/ximagesink.c:882:54: warning: unused parameter ‘usec’ [-Wunused-parameter]
  882 | sync_handler (gint fd, guint frame, guint sec, guint usec, gpointer data)
      |                                                ~~~~~~^~~~
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

../gst/rkximage/ximagesink.c:452:13: error: ‘GST_VIDEO_FORMAT_NV12_10LE40’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘GST_VIDEO_FORMAT_NV12_10LE32’?
  452 |       fmt = GST_VIDEO_FORMAT_NV12_10LE40;

Thanks a lot!!!

Edited by primoitt

@jock

I tried ffmpeg from 1s post (install_media.tgz) and works good for decoding..

Tried to compile ffmpeg for encoding but cant make it work... should be those libreelec patches you said..

Now I made attempt for gstreamer.. but its not easy for me.. this is why asked for help..

Edited by primoitt

hi, i'm new to the forum. i have an rk3228 emmc board, and im trying the the Installation (without SD card, board with eMMC) from 1st page. however, its stuck on the "Downloading bootloader" so i think the bootloader provided in the tutorial isn't comatible with it. i tried to pack a bootloader with rkdeveloptool, but its always saying "Saving entry (rk322x_ddr_400MHz_v1.09.bin) failed: Cannot get file size.". i dont have access to its serial console, i don't have a USB to TTL device.

On 4/7/2023 at 10:57 PM, http418 said:

so i think the bootloader provided in the tutorial isn't comatible with it

Try this other bootloader: RK322XMiniLoaderAll_V2.51_spectek_en_ddr2_rd_odt_180703.bin

On 4/7/2023 at 10:57 PM, http418 said:

i dont have access to its serial console, i don't have a USB to TTL device.

Very useful tool to know what is going on. I suggest you to buy one or two or them.

after banging my head against the wall for while, i realized that all armbian image i use is not working because of device tree files. if i use the provided rk322x-box.dtb (the board is rk3228 btw), it's not working at all, its only having a red led light. but if i use the dtb file from stock android rom, its showing blue led light but its stuck on splash screen. i don't have access to its console so i cant check the status but could anyone check my device tree to make it compatible with armbian?

heres the dts file: dt.dts

thanks in advance

Edited by http418

@jock wow, thanks. I thought it was a 64 bits cpu, like lots of shopping links say...

Hardware:

Chipset RK3229 Quad-Core 64bit Cortex-A53

GPU Penta-Core Mali-450 hasta 750 MHz +

FLASH EMMC 16 GB

SDRAM 2 GB DDR3

OS Android 8.1

https://www.powerplanetonline.com/es/hk1-mini-2gb-16gb-android-8-1-android-tv

Thanks anyway 🙂

Edited by sermayoral