Cannot run Mysql/Mariadb

Anelito

Hi everyone,

I'm an experienced Debian user but it's my first time with Armbian running on an Orange Pi Zero. I'd like to make it a DB node by running MySQL.

As there is no MySQL available in the apt repository, I tried MariaDB but during the installation (tried multiple times) I don't get asked for a password and need to run mysql --skip-grant-tables which leads to db failure, permission problems (like root can access without password while all the other users are blocked). Installation from source code fails due to limited memory.

How can I seamlessly get mysql-server to work on Armbian?

36 minutes ago, Anelito said:

I'm an experienced Debian user

Unless there is some strange upstream bug in the MariaDB or dependent packages, it must work the exact same way. Our touch to the user space is minimal. The only thing that could have effect could be related to logging. But only in case you had some failed installations or crashes where logs are not properly recreated - we store logs in ZRAM compressed memory device + syncing to real media.

39 minutes ago, Anelito said:

How can I seamlessly get mysql-server to work on Armbian?

I am almost 100% this is not Armbian fault, but please show the exact steps how this can be recreated. Exactly which image? Logs logs logs (armbianmonitor -u)