Cubieboard2 - Problem with image Armbian_19.11.6_Cubieboard2_buster_current_5.4.8

FaBMak

4 hours ago, FaBMak said:

Is there any movement to a new kernel version?

We are already there (+ one year in advance on some boards functions), just all images are not remade yet. After this is done, update will be pushed out. When? -> https://www.armbian.com/get-involved and you will know to tell. Amateur development: when its done its done.

@Igor libgpiod author said they are supporting kernel >= 5.5.0 in master and 1.5.x branch. I had to use the 1.4.x branch because of this. Looking forward to >= 5.5.0 kernel!

Bartosz Gołaszewski

to me

We merged certain new features for the character device for v5.5
kernel and they'll be supported in libgpiod v1.5. We needed new
defines in the uAPI header which means we could either go into an
ifdef hell to support older kernels in new releases or simply bite the
bullet and make v5.5 a hard requirement. Since ifdefs lead to an
unmaintainable mess I decided to go with the latter. v1.4 is still
supported though, I'll make a new bugfix release soon.

Bart

On 1/3/2020 at 3:54 AM, Igor said:

We are already there (+ one year in advance on some boards functions), just all images are not remade yet. After this is done, update will be pushed out. When? -> https://www.armbian.com/get-involved and you will know to tell. Amateur development: when its done its done.

Igor,

Thanks for the response. Just, to be clear, when the new kernel become ready, it will be became available in stable repository? No need to reinstall a new version?

44 minutes ago, FaBMak said:

No need to reinstall a new version?

You mean image? No, you can upgrade and downgrade kernel without reinstalling. But if you install a testing kernel and a system breaks, you need some experience to fix that image. Fail-safe rollback commodity was not developed yet and is also not in any development plans.

Well, i'm confused now. I've the Cubieboard2, running the Debian buster 19.11.3. Today, i saw that the 19.11.6 was released.  So, what is the correct way to upgrade?

Because, my system is updated with apt. But, continue with 19.11.3 and kernel 5.3. I tried update the firmware and to kernel 5.4 but doesn't work. And now, i'm getting kernel modules errors.

On 1/11/2020 at 3:58 PM, FaBMak said:

Well, i'm confused now. I've the Cubieboard2, running the Debian buster 19.11.3. Today, i saw that the 19.11.6 was released.  So, what is the correct way to upgrade?

System is updated via apt but upgrade hasn't been pushed to the repository because we save support resources (our big cost). Only images were rebuild! Why? Because new kernel has to be tested well, before we push out an update out. If you start with a new image and you have troubles its less problematic (cheaper to support) than if we update repository blindly with untested kernel (many other distributions do that and they don't care if system breaks). Serious automated testing facility - which we don't have - is expensive asset which we can't afford to develop or maintain from our own pocket. Your donations only covers subsidised download server costs or one day (per year) of project maintenance if server would be free. Tests coming from upstream https://kernelci.org/ are of no use to us.

In case something is not good enough, which you have all rights to claim, step up, bring your resources and make the change. We can't do better than this.

Yesterday, I've downloaded the image Armbian_19.11.6_Cubieboard2_buster_current_5.4.8 i tried out, but doesn't work. I check the checksum and tried both methods to SD Card: dd and Etcher. The result was the same, after the copy the SD Card remains unformatted.

By the way, the bionic image is ok. Tried too.

So, open the a new topic is the correct form to inform bugs? I'm armbian fan, and i want to help. I can help, testing with my Cubieboard2.

6 hours ago, FaBMak said:

and i want to help.

We don't record your "help" because we don't have resources (few people patching work of thousands is impossible) to fix bugs. Not even to talk with you (few people can't cover 1000 individual problems). Not even to develop nice features (worth million) you want so badly. Your contribution on that side is the only help which is valuable and welcome.

Stop competing with our private time - you don't stand a chance. This is amateur service and if you bump topics to get attention (to this very low priority issue) is one of the worse things you can do on this forum.

Armbian Buster and Armbian Bionic are identical in low level settings (unless there is some bug in our build system - possible but in that case there would be more people reporting problems).

BTW. This board is not supported which means you are anyway on your own.

6 hours ago, FaBMak said:

I can help, testing with my Cubieboard2.

Get some gears like serial console and start debugging. If you do that and stay around as a board maintainer, Cubieboard2 can become "Community supported". Which is little better than what it is now. Help goes toward community, Cubieboard2 users. Not to us.

22 hours ago, Igor said:

Only images were rebuild! Why? Because new kernel has to be tested well, before we push out an update out. If you start with a new image and you have troubles its less problematic (cheaper to support) than if we update repository blindly with untested kernel (many other distributions do that and they don't care if system breaks). 

Igor, would it be possible/easy to roll out headers packages together with new images? Personally I mean rockchip64 which headers are still smth 5.3.y, or should appropriate family header packages for 32 bit architecture (eg rockchip) be used (sorry, but I do not know how header packages differ, just see that size/sha differ for the same kernel version).

12 hours ago, Igor said:

Stop competing with our private time - you don't stand a chance. This is amateur service and if you bump topics to get attention (to this very low priority issue) is one of the worse things you can do on this forum.

Sorry, I don't wanted to be rude. I just wanted report two different problems, and offer some help, if needed.