hexdump

beware of fake tv boxes ...

this is just a quick note that in my experience the amount of tv boxes with fake specs has grown quite a bit in the last months and that this is something to always have in mind when getting a box for a surprisingly cheap (i.e. quite a bit cheaper than usual or most of the other offerings) price - you might be lucky and it will be a bargain or you might hit one with fake specs. some examples i saw recently: a qplus 4g ram / 32g emmc ended up to be 2g ram and 16g nand, a h6 box sold as 4g ram / 32g emmc ended up as 2g ram / 16g emmc, a x96mini 2g ram / 16g emmc ended up at only 1g ram / 16g emmc, a r39 2g ram / 16g emmc with rockchip rk3229 ends up as 1g ram / 16g emmc and an allwinner h3 cpu and so on. the fake specs are not that easy to spot: in android they even fake the storage size shown in the storage settings and with a terminal installed even the "free" command tells you most of the time that the memory amount is proper. what usualy works for storage is "cat /proc/partitions" and watching for the device itself (for instance mmcblk0) - this also quickly shows you if its emmc (=mmcblk) or nand (=nand) and for memory "dmesg | grep -i mem" (do this immediately after booting android, otherwise the memory lines from the bootup might run out of the log buffer) - both of course called in a terminal app. booting one of balbes150's armbian images usually quickly shows you the real specs of the box too.

good luck at not ending up with fake boxes and best wishes - hexdump

p.s.: one thing to keep in mind is that allwinner h6 boxes always only can use 3g ram, even if they have 4g installed - this is a limitataion of the soc ...